DAT vs OAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MAdental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a difference between the OAT and DAT Review notes (the big blue book) that you get from taking the Kaplan course? I have the OAT review notes (blue book) and I just wanted to know if it had the same information (for bio, chem, O-chem, QR, and reading comp) as the DAT book. I know that the OAT has physics (which is not included in the DAT book) but is that the only difference??( My guess is DAT material has the info for PAT instead of physics? ) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the OAT and DAT Review notes (the big blue book) that you get from taking the Kaplan course? I have the OAT review notes (blue book) and I just wanted to know if it had the same information (for bio, chem, O-chem, QR, and reading comp) as the DAT book. I know that the OAT has physics (which is not included in the DAT book) but is that the only difference??( My guess is DAT material has the info for PAT instead of physics? ) Thanks!

fyi kaplan book is useless. i bought it and ended up not using it.

use an AP bio book and Dat destroyer. it'll help u more

Good call, that is what my friends told me too. Do think DAT and OAT destroyers are the same? Because I got the OAT destroyer. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)

:thumbup:

Kaplan is pretty generic. You can basically study for the DAT with anything as long as it covers the subjects, which the OAT does. And definitely take note of DL's AP suggestion. That and my SAT II books helped me with my science sections, big time.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=DAT+destroyer

OAT destroyer has a physics section
DAT destroyer doesnt

:)
If you read my initial post, you would see that I kinda knew the difference between OAT and DAT exams, I just dont know if these 2 books cover different materials or not ...in a sense that, are the questions different for GC, OC and BIO ? I asked cuz I simply dont wana study and practice the wrong set of questions.
Thanks for your time :thumbup:

If you read my initial post, you would see that I kinda knew the difference between OAT and DAT exams, I just dont know if these 2 books cover different materials or not ...in a sense that, are the questions different for GC, OC and BIO ? I asked cuz I simply dont wana study and practice the wrong set of questions.

BumP

In my opinion, concepts are concepts. The concepts taught in the OAT and DAT kaplan blue books won't differ in information because biology will always be biology etc etc. What might differ is the extent of detail presented, which is our responsibility to learn regardless if our "study guide" goes over it or not.

If you have the OAT kaplan blue book, I would use them as supplemental information along with DAT destroyer, AP bio, chads vids, and odyssey (whatever resources you're using).

In my experience, I spent a lot of time going over information more in depth than was presented to me in the kaplan blue book, so I would supplement with other resources. Hope that helps and good luck to you.

A little early to be bumping, but hey.

If I were you, I'd head down to a bookstore and actually take a look at the DAT KBB for your own comparison with the OAT book. Though I wouldn't advocate buying it, since you already have the very likely similar OAT version; and as others have said, you can get better individual guides to supplement, that are cheaper too. I can definitely tell you that the DAT KBB is not worth getting for the PAT section ;)

The bump factor worked :D Thanks for responding. Ya, i think i will just go ahead and read the OAT book ( its like a 1000 pages or so ) and then do the OAT destroyer which i do have as well. I sent an email to the Destroyer ppl and asked them if OAT and DAT destroyers are different? as you guys said, ochem is ochem......but the level of ochem needed for each tests might be different. I wrote my OAT last summer and got 93% on most of the sections, I am writing DAT this summer. From what i have gathered ( from ADA website) the sample DAT looks just like OAT (except for the PAT)

The bump factor worked :D Thanks for responding. Ya, i think i will just go ahead and read the OAT book ( its like a 1000 pages or so ) and then do the OAT destroyer which i do have as well. I sent an email to the Destroyer ppl and asked them if OAT and DAT destroyers are different? as you guys said, ochem is ochem......but the level of ochem needed for each tests might be different. I wrote my OAT last summer and got 93% on most of the sections, I am writing DAT this summer. From what i have gathered ( from ADA website) the sample DAT looks just like OAT (except for the PAT)

The level of ochem needed is probably the same, considering the people who create the OAT are the same people who create the DAT (both schools have the same pre-reqs as well); best of luck.