DAT w/o Ochem 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCalDent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Too risky to try and take the Dat without second semester O chem? I have read previously both arguments. Any new insights? Anyone take the Dat recently who has knowledge of what they have seen on the supposedly "harder" DAT regarding Ochem 2?

Members don't see this ad.

Too risky to try and take the Dat without second semester O chem? I have read previously both arguments. Any new insights? Anyone take the Dat recently who has knowledge of what they have seen on the supposedly "harder" DAT regarding Ochem 2?

Depends on the individual. Personally, I would wait and finish orgo 2 first.

I've been debating over this issue myself......Take it during summer if you have money and time. If you apply this year - then it will pobably just make sense to study it on your own and to get prepared for the DAT test before fall semester starts...

Get the MOST RECENT edition of Destroyer. The destroyer Ochem is really good and covers what you need to know for the DAT. Use it in combination with a good textbook (Loudon, Carrey, McMurry, etc) to look up things that are still not clear after reading the solutions. That would be your best bet if you're pressed for time.

I don't know what they cover in OChem II, as every school is different, but here are some things that may come to mind.

Biomolecules
Aromatic chemistry
Carbanion reactions (aldol, claisen, michael, aceto ester, malonic ester)
alcohol/ketone/aldehyde chemistry (oxidation, reduction, grignard, ethers, epoxides)
amine chemistry
Carboxylic Acid Derivatives

It's all covered very well in destroyer ochem. This is a much better bet than sitting down with the kaplan blue book. If you insist on taking the DAT without ochem II....that would be the best plan of action in my opinion. Hope this helps.