The Candidate

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
132
0
All over the place.
Status
How long can a DAT transcript be valid for, and is ideal for schools to consider?

also, what if someone took a year break in their junior year of undergrad, and then applies to dental school in their senior year, does that work against the applicant?

thanks
 

UofT-Girl

Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2004
89
0
36
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Status
just to add to this question, without starting a whole new thread..

Can an applicant get an interview with everything in their file complete, except for their DAT, which will be written a few months after applying?
 

x-linked

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2003
75
0
Visit site
Status
UofT-Girl said:
just to add to this question, without starting a whole new thread..

Can an applicant get an interview with everything in their file complete, except for their DAT, which will be written a few months after applying?
i dont think so
 

DMD_hopeful

Registered lunatic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2004
348
2
Status
The Candidate said:
How long can a DAT transcript be valid for, and is ideal for schools to consider?

also, what if someone took a year break in their junior year of undergrad, and then applies to dental school in their senior year, does that work against the applicant?

thanks
I THINK I remember reading somewhere that schools like to see a DAT score that is no more than 3yrs old.

As for your 2nd question.. I would just be able to explain why you took the year off.

I had a six year break during my undergrad and it didn't work aganst me. However, I made it quite clear in my essay why it happened.
 

Nendo21

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
271
0
Visit site
Status
DMD_hopeful said:
I THINK I remember reading somewhere that schools like to see a DAT score that is no more than 3yrs old.

As for your 2nd question.. I would just be able to explain why you took the year off.

I had a six year break during my undergrad and it didn't work aganst me. However, I made it quite clear in my essay why it happened.

i thought dat scores are only valid for two years but then i read somewhere that your scores are all recorded even if u take it 5 times :confused:
 

msf41

AADSAS = rip off
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2003
367
1
Kansas
Visit site
Status
UofT-Girl said:
just to add to this question, without starting a whole new thread..

Can an applicant get an interview with everything in their file complete, except for their DAT, which will be written a few months after applying?
You will hear this answer to alot of your questions about applying...it depends on the school. I know that some of my schools held up my application (means it sat in some file not being looked at) due to missing official DAT scores (even though they got the aadsas scores) and letters of recommendation (that aadsas was late sending.)
 
OP
The Candidate

The Candidate

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
132
0
All over the place.
Status
Thanks for the response everyone.

Do schools care about how many times you took the DAT? - and is taking the DAT 3 times less favorable than once or twice?

I took the DAT twice already, had 16's/17's first round, then improved couple of points in each area on the second round, 18's/19's... I have this feeling if I take it the 3rd time, I can improve to at least 19's/20's minimum. With my GPA (3.4), I hope at least 90% of schools will consider me with those stats.

Any advice?

P.S. Applying to following schools: Louisville, Michigan, Columbia, UPenn, Nova, Pitts, Temple and Ohio State.
 

Mo007

Gifted Hands
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
1,260
3
41
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Status
The Candidate said:
Thanks for the response everyone.

Do schools care about how many times you took the DAT? - and is taking the DAT 3 times less favorable than once or twice?

I took the DAT twice already, had 16's/17's first round, then improved couple of points in each area on the second round, 18's/19's... I have this feeling if I take it the 3rd time, I can improve to at least 19's/20's minimum. With my GPA (3.4), I hope at least 90% of schools will consider me with those stats.

Any advice?

P.S. Applying to following schools: Louisville, Michigan, Columbia, UPenn, Nova, Pitts, Temple and Ohio State.
If you think you can do better on the 3rd time, go for it.

Schools will consider your most recent DAT score over previous ones, even if you do worse in your recent attempt.

I think you have a fair chance at all the schools you mentioned, if you achieve your targeted DAT score.

Good Luck
 

vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
214
0
Status
The Candidate said:
How long can a DAT transcript be valid for, and is ideal for schools to consider?

also, what if someone took a year break in their junior year of undergrad, and then applies to dental school in their senior year, does that work against the applicant?

thanks

I am new, I honestly think that DATS are good for a max of 3 years.

Sound right ?
 

Sweeti8286

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
190
0
36
Michigan
Status
Dentist
The DAT scores are valid up to 2 years- after that, you have to retake it.
__________________________________________________________________
Do schools care about how many times you took the DAT? - and is taking the DAT 3 times less favorable than once or twice?

I took the DAT twice already, had 16's/17's first round, then improved couple of points in each area on the second round, 18's/19's... I have this feeling if I take it the 3rd time, I can improve to at least 19's/20's minimum. With my GPA (3.4), I hope at least 90% of schools will consider me with those stats.
Any advice?
P.S. Applying to following schools: Louisville, Michigan, Columbia, UPenn, Nova, Pitts, Temple and Ohio State.

If you think you can do better on the 3rd round, then go for it. OTherwise, don't- because that'll just tell then that you didn't do anything to improve your scores. With a 3.4 GPA and 18's/19's DAT- you have a pretty good chance of being accepted. And wow- 8 schools....that's a lot of $$ you have to dish out...if yu're applying just so you can get in somewhere, I'd at least cut it down a little....my view is that, when they ask you what schools you've applied to and you tell them that list, the admission committee would think that you are just trying to get in anywhere and not as picky. If you pick like 5 or less schools, at least you're telling them that you've seriously considered the schools of your choice and a bit choosy. I've personally applied to 3 schools- when I picked out the schools, I knew 2 out of the 3 would accept me and I use them as alternates...and the last is the main school I want in. (and it worked out to the way I wanted :) ) Apply with confidence and show up for the interviews with confidence!
 

DIRTIE

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
409
0
Las Vegas
Status
Dental Student
I believe that some schools will actually take your highest in each section from all of your DAT attempts