Data completeness in healthcare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jessica2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My research interests are data quality in healthcare and focus on data completeness in electronic medical records (EMRs). I am conducting a research project concerning factors influencing data completeness in EMRs, relationships between these factors, and methods to achieve data completeness in EMRs. I am approaching professionals and practitioners who have experience of establishing and/or using EMR systems or who have relevant expertise and backgrounds about addressing quality of EMR data, and intend to collect their answers to my research questions. The outcomes of my research could help practitioners to achieve data completeness in EMRs and consequently provide quality-assured clinical decision making.

If you are interested in my research project, you may contact me to fill in my survey questions. Or you may share your opinions on the factors influencing data completeness in EMRs.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you really an MD/PhD student? If so, do you have any clinical experience at this point?

Because most EMRs are full of lies. Mostly the EMRs allow easy overdocumentation in order to upcode visits and overbill for everything.

Bottom line - your project is admirable but inherently flawed.

Are you really an MD/PhD student? If so, do you have any clinical experience at this point?

Because most EMRs are full of lies. Mostly the EMRs allow easy overdocumentation in order to upcode visits and overbill for everything.

Bottom line - your project is admirable but inherently flawed.
Thanks for your reply. Your opinions are important to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Healthcare data these days is a legitimate concern, especially since it's so heavily used for ratings, scrutiny and public knowledge. Unfortunately it's not an even playing field, it really depends on the hospital's investment in their data collection and pruning and it's not always fair, a good data/coding person can make a hospital look somewhat different on paper.

Reactions: 1 user
Healthcare data these days is a legitimate concern, especially since it's so heavily used for ratings, scrutiny and public knowledge. Unfortunately it's not an even playing field, it really depends on the hospital's investment in their data collection and pruning and it's not always fair, a good data/coding person can make a hospital look somewhat different on paper.
That's right. Life isnt fair, generally. Thank you for replying. I am actually on the road to become a health IT consultant. As the learning process never stops, i wanted to know what do they mean by data completeness exactly? Is it concerned with how you report data to CMS. That should have everything in it?

Your project really needs so much research. Best of luck for the same.