• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Data Science Courses Online

skarndghks2017

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2017
Informatics pharmacist here.
I used to really like my job but I get frustrated with my current hospital's system.
I was kind of thinking of maybe applying for VA when they implement Cerner but I feel like it'll be the same sh**hole.
So I was looking into some Data Science courses online from datacamp, coursera, etc and wonder if this will help me lead to a new career path.
Any insights would be helpful.

Thanks.

About the Ads

skarndghks2017

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2017
why leave informatics? not doing the same thing?
I kinda want to try industry or even those tech companies that are interested in healthcare sector.

I wouldn't count on Cerner going live anytime soon.
damn... VA was my third choice. But it would be nice to work at VA though.
I kinda want to break into EPIC-based hospitals but I don't know how with no experience in EPIC and they all seem to look for EPIC certifications.

ValeRx

Not Retail
10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2008
Midwest
  1. Pharmacist
I kinda want to try industry or even those tech companies that are interested in healthcare sector.

I kinda want to break into EPIC-based hospitals but I don't know how with no experience in EPIC and they all seem to look for EPIC certifications.

I've personally only been with the VA for a few months but a few of the assistant chiefs here just kinda chuckle every time Cerner is mentioned. @lord999 probably has a better idea as to when it might roll out... but then again this is government, soooo...

Lubeckd

Learner
10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
New York
  1. Non-Student

data science is completely different from informatics, and SWE. I wont even consider data science on tech. What were you doing in informatics? Would you mind telling me your workflow?
i mean if you want to design a app I say thats the only thing really tech and healthcare. not the backend or website. It’s really hard to implement something in data science at the tech level unless you are doing machine learning. Which has very few experts in it

I’m not sure about pharmacy informatics also. But I have done back end, front end. Data science. So I have a good idea what it’s about.

Last edited:

skarndghks2017

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2017
I've personally only been with the VA for a few months but a few of the assistant chiefs here just kinda chuckle every time Cerner is mentioned. @lord999 probably has a better idea as to when it might roll out... but then again this is government, soooo...
lol I read the news that implementation got delayed which kinda sucks.

data science is completely different from informatics, and SWE. I wont even consider data science on tech. What were you doing in informatics? Would you mind telling me your workflow?
i mean if you want to design a app I say thats the only thing really tech and healthcare. not the backend or website. It’s really hard to implement something in data science at the tech level unless you are doing machine learning. Which has very few experts in it

I’m not sure about pharmacy informatics also. But I have done back end, front end. Data science. So I have a good idea what it’s about.
Mainly I build order sets, add new formulary products into the system, attend meetings (a lot of meetings), on-call support for the pharmacy team, etc. I see like data analyst for healthcare startup. Wonder how competitive the pay is and how is the growth potential.
Are you in this related field Lubeckd?

Lubeckd

Learner
10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
New York
  1. Non-Student
lol I read the news that implementation got delayed which kinda sucks.

Mainly I build order sets, add new formulary products into the system, attend meetings (a lot of meetings), on-call support for the pharmacy team, etc. I see like data analyst for healthcare startup. Wonder how competitive the pay is and how is the growth potential.
Are you in this related field Lubeckd?
I just dont understand. I mean I wanted to go into informatics myself. It sounds like you are just doing data entry of medicine. and are probably bored of it. Well Im exploring my options. I wont go into too much. Thats more backend stuff you are doing if you are adding in things and new columns and tables. Data science is going the same way pharmacy is... then new tech comes out every few years... constantly learning

lord999

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2002
DC
  1. Pharmacist
  2. Academic Administration
There’s a running joke bet in the office whether Cerner rolls out with fatal errors or John Short is going to get suspended for physically choking someone out of frustration from the stupidity that he has to oversee. Reading the personnel list in OEHRM, it reads like a Who's Who list of every clod in OIT who you don't want anywhere near you. I'm personally surprised that John Short hasn't had a stroke or a heart attack having to deal with the idiocracy on his side, I'd lose it in his shoes. Not going to happen until 2nd or possibly 3rd quarter, the data ingestion process alone is a mess, but the medical side isn't doing itself any favors from having a bunch of physicians willing to talk but not willing to work. I've got my own counsel on how I view the CHIO and DCHIO in this process.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.