Data Science X Clinical Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

to_doctor_or_not

Reaction score
Hi there!

I have recently been exploring opportunities to make a career change into medicine from data science. Currently, I am a data scientist at a health tech company doing clinical research using person generated health data from digital devices. I enjoy my current job; however, I would like to be interacting with patients and medical professionals directly AND have the opportunity to do data science/machine learninng related tasks to assist patient care. Does a profession in medicine like this exist?

It seems like there are a few degree options out there including a PhD in bioinformatics, md/PhD, or md. I was wondering if anyone knows of other options or has an opinion on those listed. I have also seen a few medical school programs that have on engineering-focused curriculum such as Carle Illinois College of Medicine, though not sure what that looks like in practice.

Also a note: I already have my MSc in computer science and have taken all pre reqs for an MD.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't involve direct patient contact, but there is an informatics fellowship in pathology. My impression is that one usually does this alongside another fellowship (say GI) and then conducts informatics projects alongside one's regular subspecialty work as an attending.

It doesn't involve direct patient contact, but there is an informatics fellowship in pathology. My impression is that one usually does this alongside another fellowship (say GI) and then conducts informatics projects alongside one's regular subspecialty work as an attending.
This is generally true. I considered a clinical informatics fellowship after my Genetics training, and ultimately I decided not to do it, since I've already got a strong background in data analysis. But yes, generally clinical informatics will require an additional field of study to inform your research.

Hi there!

I have recently been exploring opportunities to make a career change into medicine from data science. Currently, I am a data scientist at a health tech company doing clinical research using person generated health data from digital devices. I enjoy my current job; however, I would like to be interacting with patients and medical professionals directly AND have the opportunity to do data science/machine learninng related tasks to assist patient care. Does a profession in medicine like this exist?

Yes, this does exist. From Radiology to Pathology to Genetics, or population health policy - any specialty or job leveraging Big Data or imaging will lend itself to your background. There are probably many more fields I'm not even aware of using ML etc every day.

It seems like there are a few degree options out there including a PhD in bioinformatics, md/PhD, or md. I was wondering if anyone knows of other options or has an opinion on those listed. I have also seen a few medical school programs that have on engineering-focused curriculum such as Carle Illinois College of Medicine, though not sure what that looks like in practice.

Many programs offer MD/MS pathways, some integrate research into their core curriculum, a few even offer full scholarships in these pathways (I can think of a few that check all these boxes, in fact). Check out the subforums for more info, or my alma mater, if that's of interest.

Keep in mind, all medical schools prepare you for residency. Don't get caught up in the fuss about prestige unless that's something you value. The great news is that you can probably carve out a career path that suits your needs at just about any larger medical school, especially ones that are attached to, say, a good engineering school and a pubic health department with good faculty in quantitative health and bioinformatics.

Also a note: I already have my MSc in computer science and have taken all pre reqs for an MD.

Thanks!

It sounds like what is driving you is the same desire that made me switch: patient contact. Don't forget that.

The journey is long and there will be many opportunities for course corrections along the way. Find a field within medicine first that you can enjoy clinically, there will likely be lots of options. But before even that, find a medical school that you can thrive at.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Saving this thread. I am making the same career switch. My interest is in decision support systems for medicine. I am currently working on a paper on a hot topic for public health in the US as a bioinformatician. The last company I worked for had nothing to do with healthcare.

I had never heard of CICOM before. I'm looking at research universities with robust bioinformatics departments. Best of luck to you!

Interested in decision-support specifically? I don't want to assume, but are you thinking of going to medical school and then ultimately a clinical informatics fellowship? If so, it might make sense to explore medical schools attached to one of the dozen-or-so fellowship programs, although it isn't mandatory.
Check out the current list of fellowships here: