ChewyDrop

2+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2015
Status
Dental Student
The Whole dilemma:
  • June: I started following Ari's 11 weeks study guide. Finished the first month of materials. Read Biocliffs and skimmed feralis notes once. Practice Some pre-made anki cards on feralis notes. Practice on the PAT generator on bootcamp every other day.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • July: My Physic II accelerated 5 week summer course started. Pretty obvious in the first week of class that I had to put off studying for the DAT, since finishing Hw and lab took the entire day.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • August: Starting Ari's Schedule again. My final year of college is starting again next week from today's post. Doing DAT destroyer and Math destroyer is rendering my motivation, sure it is good practice, but it's literally destroying my motivation. I am thinking about Just using DATbootcamp only. Take a Full practice test tomorrow and see where I stand. Then diving in at the sections that I need to study. When school starts I plan to do 10-15 problems from the DAT destroyer and math destroyer per day. My DAT exam is on Oct. 1st

Any feedback is appreciated

fayevalentine

See you space cowboy.
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
The Whole dilemma:
  • June: I started following Ari's 11 weeks study guide. Finished the first month of materials. Read Biocliffs and skimmed feralis notes once. Practice Some pre-made anki cards on feralis notes. Practice on the PAT generator on bootcamp every other day.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • July: My Physic II accelerated 5 week summer course started. Pretty obvious in the first week of class that I had to put off studying for the DAT, since finishing Hw and lab took the entire day.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • August: Starting Ari's Schedule again. My final year of college is starting again next week from today's post. Doing DAT destroyer and Math destroyer is rendering my motivation, sure it is good practice, but it's literally destroying my motivation. I am thinking about Just using DATbootcamp only. Take a Full practice test tomorrow and see where I stand. Then diving in at the sections that I need to study. When school starts I plan to do 10-15 problems from the DAT destroyer and math destroyer per day. My DAT exam is on Oct. 1st

Any feedback is appreciated
Bootcamp is great but it does not present you with all the material. I would not suggest using Bootcamp only. Definitely use it, but supplement it.

Reactions: LuckBloodandSweat
OP
ChewyDrop

ChewyDrop

2+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Bootcamp is great but it does not present you with all the material. I would not suggest using Bootcamp only. Definitely use it, but supplement it.
Supplement it as in google, chad's videos, cliffs?

OnlyIfICouldTurnBackTime

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2015
Destroyer is a great prep book; you will only acknowledge it after the exam lol. Re-Partition your # of problems per day, so that you have a solid week prior to Oct 1st to review the whole book again. Personally i pushed through the Destroyer thrice, because getting less than 40% correct on 1st attempt made me ponder on my life lol. You will be able to aim 20+ on real DAT after thoroughly reviewing it. (But you need to supplement the bio section with cliffs & / or ferali's) Since you are pressed with time, twice seems viable. Go over the questions you got wrong twice and so on. You will somewhat catch familiar patterns during the real test, and thank for it later. Bootcamp samples are great too but they don't cover some parts that can be thrown at you.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

OP
ChewyDrop

ChewyDrop

2+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Destroyer is a great prep book; you will only acknowledge it after the exam lol. Re-Partition your # of problems per day, so that you have a solid week prior to Oct 1st to review the whole book again. Personally i pushed through the Destroyer thrice, because getting less than 40% correct on 1st attempt made me ponder on my life lol. You will be able to aim 20+ on real DAT after thoroughly reviewing it. (But you need to supplement the bio section with cliffs & / or ferali's) Since you are pressed with time, twice seems viable. Go over the questions you got wrong twice and so on. You will somewhat catch familiar patterns during the real test, and thank for it later. Bootcamp samples are great too but they don't cover some parts that can be thrown at you.

Is going through 100 problems per day viable? Even if i know it's going to kill me lol

OnlyIfICouldTurnBackTime

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2015
Is going through 100 problems per day viable? Even if i know it's going to kill me lol
Try to economize the time here and there (i.e. do 3 problems on your way to school, before eating, etc). During the first run mark any questions you missed, wished to give another look, or guessed educationally. You can review them later that day and / or the week before your exam. 40+ days are sufficient enough to solve all the problems & review imo. Time management is the key! On D-7, mainly focus on the ones you missed. Skim through or even skip the ones you already know.

gangazi

2+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Destroyer is crucial... you need it to succeed on the exam

okiedokeartichoke

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I went through 100 Destroyer problems in one day before for OC/GC. Do I advise it? Eh, probably not unless you have a lot of time on your hands. It would pretty much take me like 4-5 hours. Going through 100 problems in biology was easier though (2-3 hours) since it doesn't require much calculation and problem solving. It's also just draining to go through all those problems, but it'll be well worth it in the end. Like others have echoed, I do recommend going through the Destroyer twice, especially for OC/GC. For bio, I don't think you necessarily have to go through that twice if you're pressed for time.

I think your plan of action should be:
- finish the entire Destroyer before school starts so you can only focus on the DAT
- do 10-15 problems per section each day during the semester so you'd be exposed to the Destroyer a second time and the concepts will thus be reinforced. If you're someone like me (hardcore procrastinator/pro crammer/awful at time management), I think it would be difficult to go through the Destroyer for the first time while taking classes and keeping up with your grades.

OP
ChewyDrop

ChewyDrop

2+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I went through 100 Destroyer problems in one day before for OC/GC. Do I advise it? Eh, probably not unless you have a lot of time on your hands. It would pretty much take me like 4-5 hours. Going through 100 problems in biology was easier though (2-3 hours) since it doesn't require much calculation and problem solving. It's also just draining to go through all those problems, but it'll be well worth it in the end. Like others have echoed, I do recommend going through the Destroyer twice, especially for OC/GC. For bio, I don't think you necessarily have to go through that twice if you're pressed for time.

I think your plan of action should be:
- finish the entire Destroyer before school starts so you can only focus on the DAT
- do 10-15 problems per section each day during the semester so you'd be exposed to the Destroyer a second time and the concepts will thus be reinforced. If you're someone like me (hardcore procrastinator/pro crammer/awful at time management), I think it would be difficult to go through the Destroyer for the first time while taking classes and keeping up with your grades.
So 200 questions per day? How do you retain that much info, by doing 200 questions. Im having trouble retaining info from 40 question :(

Ari Rezaei

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2012
New York, NY
Status
Dental Student
It's OK if you're struggling right now with Destroyer, what's important isn't just to get the question right, it's to learn from your mistakes and fix them going forward. Everyone struggles with this part, it's part of practice. Focus on learning and less on what percent of questions you're getting correct. Keep up the good work, keep reviewing the answers and solutions, understand the "why" behind the correct answer and incorrect answers, and your skills will begin to improve.

Reactions: ChewyDrop

okiedokeartichoke

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2015
Status
Dental Student
So 200 questions per day? How do you retain that much info, by doing 200 questions. Im having trouble retaining info from 40 question :(
OH GOD NO, not 200 questions a day! I mean 100 questions of OC in a day, or 100 questions of GC in one day (or 75 bio/50 GC or 75 bio/50 OC). Hundred questions in OC seems very doable and goes by much quicker, but 100 questions of GC was rough for me because calculations took up time. When I went through the Destroyer the first time, just going through 50 questions of GC was extremely frustrating. With my second go, I could stomach 100 GC questions better. My second attempt involved using Excel to categorize every question into broader topics that were reoccuring like "enthalpy" or "finding pH of salts" so I can get better at recognizing how to solve questions to save time. But to be honest, the real DAT was so much more manageable than Destroyer! Feel free to PM me if you're lost (that goes for anyone else as well).

Reactions: ChewyDrop

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I've probably done close to 200 problems on some days lol. Drove myself nuts but somehow I was still able to pull through it. Make a schedule for yourself and stick to it. I didn't realize apps and all that annoying stuff would knock a few weeks off my original plan. Plus, there were days I burnt out and barely did any ;(.

OP
ChewyDrop

ChewyDrop

2+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2015
Status
Dental Student
OH GOD NO, not 200 questions a day! I mean 100 questions of OC in a day, or 100 questions of GC in one day (or 75 bio/50 GC or 75 bio/50 OC). Hundred questions in OC seems very doable and goes by much quicker, but 100 questions of GC was rough for me because calculations took up time. When I went through the Destroyer the first time, just going through 50 questions of GC was extremely frustrating. With my second go, I could stomach 100 GC questions better. My second attempt involved using Excel to categorize every question into broader topics that were reoccuring like "enthalpy" or "finding pH of salts" so I can get better at recognizing how to solve questions to save time. But to be honest, the real DAT was so much more manageable than Destroyer! Feel free to PM me if you're lost (that goes for anyone else as well).
During the first time you went through destroyer, if you encounter questions that you don't know how to do or got wrong what did you do? Take out a textbook and re-read the entire section? Read the solution, and learn from there?

Reactions: orgoman22

okiedokeartichoke

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2015
Status
Dental Student
During the first time you went through destroyer, if you encounter questions that you don't know how to do or got wrong what did you do? Take out a textbook and re-read the entire section? Read the solution, and learn from there?
I did a mixture of both reading the solution in the back and either Googled the concept or Youtube'd it if I needed further clarification. The first time I went through Destroyer, I would write down notes from the solutions underneath the problem or within the margins and highlight key words. My Destroyer has been heavily scribbled and used up very well to say the least, lol. I assume most people leave their problems blank so they can go through it a second time without seeing any solutions/notes (and to probably sell them afterwards), but I honestly just disliked flipping to the back of the book every few minutes.