Date your patient?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drhobie7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I know it's unethical. But what do you think about dating a patient? For the pedos I guess this means dating your patient's mom. Probably the same for the surgeons, either that or dating your toothless skagg of a patient. As for perio, eeww I don't think I'd find any patient receiving a connective tissue graft sexy. What's left? Ortho...the moms again. Endo....beats me. Pros....probably not too many sexy patients getting full mouth occlusal rehab.

So the question is: have you or would you date a patient?

Members don't see this ad.

noooooooooooooo! never ever ever date a patient or their mother. Its unethical, bad for your reputation and bad for bussiness. :thumbdown:

PS. NEVER DATE YOUR PATIENTS. EVER!!!!!!!

mtheman said:
noooooooooooooo! never ever ever date a patient or their mother. Its unethical, bad for your reputation and bad for bussiness. :thumbdown:

What if your patient looked like this and was all into you? Would you still have the strength you claim?
gm_l8.jpg

I guess I'll never know since most of my patients look like this:
toothless-big.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
mtheman said:

I'm in trouble....I'm married to one of my patients :eek:

This thread is making me feel like a naughty boy :cool:

Man if Jessica Alba were my patient, I'd be hitting that. For sure. Not at dental school, of course.

Zurik5 said:
Man if Jessica Alba were my patient, I'd be hitting that. For sure. Not at dental school, of course.

Hehehe, thanks for the replies. Yes this is what I was getting at. What if you practice in Beverly Hills and Jessica Alba is your patient? Or one of the dozens of models rolling through your office for whitening? Whoa. It makes me quiver just thinking about it. And if you think this is an unlikely situation, it isn't, especially if you practice in LA. I bet out of our thousands of future patients, there will be several who tempt each us. Better to think about it now than when the gonads are firing on all cylinders.

Does anyone (especially practicing dentists) have any stories about this that will instill a fear of repercussions? I already know it's unethical, immoral, and bad business (don't sh@t where you eat), but so is 90% of the dating that goes on in LA. I need some concrete, tangible examples of where this has messed up someone's life.

Thanks. And this is meant to be a lighthearted thread (a vestige from unpleasantries) so nobody freak out please. :oops:

I'd date a patient, see nothign wrong with it. Know a lot of dentists who met their wives because they were patients.

Caveat, but if I did date a patient, I'd probably move a lot slower, like no sex until like the 4th date or something.

drhobie7 said:
Hehehe, thanks for the replies. Yes this is what I was getting at. What if you practice in Beverly Hills and Jessica Alba is your patient? Or one of the dozens of models rolling through your office for whitening? Whoa. It makes me quiver just thinking about it. And if you think this is an unlikely situation, it isn't, especially if you practice in LA. I bet out of our thousands of future patients, there will be several who tempt each us. Better to think about it now than when the gonads are firing on all cylinders.

Does anyone (especially practicing dentists) have any stories about this that will instill a fear of repercussions? I already know it's unethical, immoral, and bad business (don't sh@t where you eat), but so is 90% of the dating that goes on in LA. I need some concrete, tangible examples of where this has messed up someone's life.

Thanks. And this is meant to be a lighthearted thread (a vestige from unpleasantries) so nobody freak out please. :oops:

I grew up in LA and go there quite often. From experience there are plenty of HOT women in LA that don't have to be your patient. They are willing to get to get with anybody if you have a good enough lie! Remember LA is an extremely shallow place.

You want a story......

No idea if it is true, but one dentist I shadowed told me that once he had a female patient take off her shirt so when he walked into the room she was topless.... She wanted to get his opinion of her new breast implants!! I didn't believe him at first, but one of the hygenists told me crazy stuff like that has happened before. Hmmmm :rolleyes:

Young lady goes to the dentist. Dentist tells her that he has to extract a tooth. She gets kind of freaked out, and says: 'I'll rather have another baby than a tooth pulled'. Says the dentist: 'just let me now before we get started, I'll have to adjust the chair'.....

i had 2 patients hit on me in the past (honestly one was pretty sexy with big breasts!)...i did get the moves and that was the time i went through a consultations with my friends who ALL advised me against proceeding for it...to me it seemed that both of these gals were just trying to "hook up" as they probably assumed that it would be an easier way for them to get all their cavities filled for free! i didnt want to take aany chance and get controversial or get involved in any ugly incident which will get noticed by everyone... this is just me, but I do have some friends who claim to have messed around with some of their patients and have had no problems.....its all about just taking a risk, but is the risk worth it?
ps: about the so called "hot patients of LA" discussed above, I wonder if any of you have seen Dr. 90210. Most of the patients of Dr. Dre are actually good looking, so do we assume that he would think of dating all his patients? Just consider this, a single law suit will bring down all his fame and money to ashes!

simpledoc said:
i had 2 patients hit on me in the past (honestly one was pretty sexy with big breasts!)...i did get the moves and that was the time i went through a consultations with my friends who ALL advised me against proceeding for it...to me it seemed that both of these gals were just trying to "hook up" as they probably assumed that it would be an easier way for them to get all their cavities filled for free! i didnt want to take aany chance and get controversial or get involved in any ugly incident which will get noticed by everyone... this is just me, but I do have some friends who claim to have messed around with some of their patients and have had no problems.....its all about just taking a risk, but is the risk worth it?
ps: about the so called "hot patients of LA" discussed above, I wonder if any of you have seen Dr. 90210. Most of the patients of Dr. Dre are actually good looking, so do we assume that he would think of dating all his patients? Just consider this, a single law suit will bring down all his fame and money to ashes!

Good point. I guess the potential risk is pretty big. Definitely not worth risking your reputation, although I wonder if that's a likely result of a patient relationship gone sour? Probably. Patients can be pretty nutty. That goes double for scorned women. (Not trying to offend any women out there but you know the saying, "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."

Members don't see this ad :)
simpledoc said:
I wonder if any of you have seen Dr. 90210. Most of the patients of Dr. Dre are actually good looking, so do we assume that he would think of dating all his patients? Just consider this, a single law suit will bring down all his fame and money to ashes!
Dr. Dre the rap star doing surgery?! :D
I saw Dr. 90210 yesterday. I think Dr. Robert Rey is a perv! His wife looks like she's either on cracks or taking Methadone. Every single time that he has breast implant or reduction patients, he always says "Oh you look so beautiful" and after post-op "your breasts look very nice and PERKY" and proceed to touching the patient's breasts, with both hands, all 10 fingers :eek: I'm thinking to myself, dude, was that necessary?! He's giving the patient a breast cancer exam, free of charge! ;) Another funny thing is that whenever he gets the chance, the guy always tries to squeeze in "I graduated from Harvard" "I overcame the financial hardship coming from Mexico, blah, blah..." He has a coffee mug on his desk, and he purposely place it so that the camera gets the Harvard insignia in the shot. I used to follow Dr.90210 often until I couldn't stand this lame dude. He just talks, and preaches too much, so annoying.

This topic reminds me about Dr. Troy in Nip/Tuck. He lives to do plastic surgery so he can hook up with his patients, pretty much every single one of them! :D It sucks when he found out he's not the biological father of his kid.

It's unethical to date your patient(s) It's just not worth the risk, unless you plan on marrying her ;) In that case, prenup wouldn't be such a bad idea :D

flat4 said:
What if your patient looked like this and was all into you? Would you still have the strength you claim?
gm_l8.jpg

Just pretend that she looks like this
toothless-big.jpg

If it still doesn't work and you're feeling light headed (because all of the blood goes in the wrong direction!) then excuse yourself to the restroom for a few minutes ;) Don't forget to wash your hands after you're finish! I'm positive that you'll be able to think clearly after that.

No I haven't and I also wouldn't. I do know of at least one person though who married a patient. I think it's possible to to transfer care to another provider and date a FORMER patient, especially if you think it could lead to something serious.

drhobie7 said:
OK, I know it's unethical. But what do you think about dating a patient? For the pedos I guess this means dating your patient's mom. Probably the same for the surgeons, either that or dating your toothless skagg of a patient. As for perio, eeww I don't think I'd find any patient receiving a connective tissue graft sexy. What's left? Ortho...the moms again. Endo....beats me. Pros....probably not too many sexy patients getting full mouth occlusal rehab.

So the question is: have you or would you date a patient?

you should never mix the two. forget the ethical part. i dont think its being professional if you are gonna undress your patient with your eyes or have other thoughts when you are doing dental work on them.

JAY228,

You should never date a patient of record, this is unethical and is cause for license revocation.

I would like to know were your attending dental school.

ewsmith said:
JAY228,

You should never date a patient of record, this is unethical and is cause for license revocation.

I would like to know were your attending dental school.

no it's not. neither unethical nor cause for license revocation. it's perfectly legitimate and OK. I start NYU in Aug in the city at the center of the world!

jay228 said:
no it's not. neither unethical nor cause for license revocation. it's perfectly legitimate and OK. I start NYU in Aug in the city at the center of the world!
"Perfectly legitimate and OK," right?

http://www.dora.state.co.us/Dental/denstatute.pdf
12-35-129. Causes for denial of issuance or renewal - suspension or revocation of licenses - other disciplinary action - unprofessional conduct defined - disciplinary panels.
(1) The board may deny the issuance or renewal of, suspend for a specified time period, or revoke any license provided for by this article or may reprimand, censure, or place on probation any licensed dentist or dental hygienist after notice and hearing...for any of the following causes:
(m) Engaging in a sexual act with a patient during the course of patient care or within six months immediately following the termination of the licensee's professional relationship with the patient.

~

http://www.kovr13.com/05may00/050500b.htm
"under the law a dentist can not have sex with a patient whether a patient gives consent or not."

~

http://www.mscode.com/free/statutes/73/009/0061.htm
The State Board of Dental Examiners may deny the issuance or renewal of a license or may revoke or suspend the license of any licensed dentist or dental hygienist practicing in the State of Mississippi, or take any other action in relation to the license as the board may deem proper under the circumstances, for any of the following reasons:
:thumbdown: Committing any act which would constitute sexual misconduct upon a patient or upon ancillary staff. For purposes of this subsection, the term sexual misconduct means:
(i) Use of the licensee-patient relationship to engage or attempt to engage the patient in sexual activity

~

http://www.dos.state.pa.us/bpoa/cwp/view.asp?a=11&Q=433492&pp=3
INDEFINITELY SUSPENDED Lawrence E. Doperak, license no. PS-002459-L, of McMurray, Washington County, and ORDERED him to complete 20 hours of professional continuing education, for engaging in a sexual relationship with a patient and employing a patient. (July 26);

That all sounds "perfectly legitimate and OK" to me. Make sure you send us a copy of the revocation notice from the licensing board, OK?

So the correct answer would be:

Yes, you can date a patient. (But make sure that you ended your doctor/patient relationship with a certified letter to the patient, transfered care to another suitable practitioner and waited six months after that).

Realistically, this is only illegal if you tick of this patient (or her parents). If you stick together long term, no public interest is violated and the dental board would have no grounds to intervene.

What a buzz kill. Thanks Bill!