dating a medical school classmate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Multiple medical school classmates dated and got married. All are still married to this day as far as I am aware. Many also dated and did not end up married.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is very people-dependent. I will say the past will judge your future. If most of your relationships in the past ended badly, future ones probably will too.

I've had lots of relationships come and go, and the vast majority ended fine. Even friends to close friends with some of them.
How a relationship ends is not always in your control. The person you’re with could cheat on you in some horrible way, or do something similarly horrible to you. I guess you could just be the type of person who is not very bothered by betrayal, but most people are going to have trouble being around somebody who did such a thing to them.

I was in a relationship in undergrad with someone who was in my major, was in my friend group, and was friends with my roommates. After dating for two years, she broke up with me seemingly out of nowhere and I came to find out that she had been cheating on me for months with a friend she would periodically travel to visit (and I was fine with this and didn’t think twice about it because I trusted her). She really hurt me and I couldn’t stand to be around her. I had arguments with my roommates because I told them that I had no problems with them hanging out with her, but I didn’t want to have to see her in my own apartment, but they often invited her over anyway. My ex was in some classes with my now-wife and would make snarky comments to her aimed at trying to destabilize our relationship, which never worked but always pissed me off.

My point is that you don’t really have any control over the other person in the relationship and a bad breakup does have the potential to make things horrible. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t date people you’re in school with, but I do think it means you have to be prepared that everything could go sideways and things might suck whenever you have to interact with that other person.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
it is interesting you use this expression
dating is about numbers

you need to take stock in yourself to see how you fare in the SMV sense(sexual market value)
and
what is your end goal with the dating stuff: free sex, someone to go to events with , get married and start a family?

what is your ethnicity?(yeah it matters, chicks still love white guys, ESPECIALLY if they are doctors)
are you easy on the eyes ? are you tall? do you have a nice body? do you have all your hair? do you have nice teeth? do you have any medical problems?
also, women now are looking for a partner: someone who helps with domestic chores, raising kids. being a meal ticket wont work anymore.
are you able to ask women out cold and get them to go out with you?(ie are you approaching women who are matched?)

dating does not get easier , and if you have looked into the wonderful world of OLD, you know first hand how awful it is, the older one gets , the dating pool shrinks . sure you can be a 42 year old doctor on tinder trying to smash 20 somethings who will be impressed by the degree and if thats what you want , do it. however the most ppl tend to stick with those closer to their equals: similar age, looks, education, etc. water sinks to its level.

so if you want to drop this situation and focus on studying , so be it. if you think you can handle the stress of the school and a relationship , as well as have a potential for a good companion, that is ok as well. personally, if i found a potential SO in med school who i was attracted school, i would have pursued it because dating as an attending is a painful chore that I wish would be over with already.
I have all my hair, take finasteride + minox for precautions, average height, average body, below average face if being honest, have about 200k put away and no debt, try to wear niceish clothes, live in a nice/luxury place but will probably try to just buy something when rates turn, but am already 26 and only in first year so but definitely know what you mean in terms of not having time. In terms of what I’m looking for, I would probably say ltr/marriage type. The casual stuff gets old pretty fast but that’s mostly what I get from apps and stuff.

Last edited:
Wondering: has anyone dated someone who was a student in a different health profession (recently)? Continue commenting...
I recently went on a few dates with a PA student and it didn’t work out (not related to my views on midlevels or anything) but it was funny to hear the coping

“Muh PAs learn at the bedside”
“Muh PAs learn can do surgeries now”
“Muh PAs are better at talking to patients”

Never again

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Everyone likes to say "Don't **** where you eat" but you are not eating. At best you will see a classmate for 8 weeks on rotation maybe and probably not working under the same team.

Life is just too short. If you have a shot at a fulfilling relationship go for it.

Reactions: 3 users