Dating another fellow student!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Meh. Hard-to-get is just frustrating. It doesn't work on me or most guys I know. You're much more likely to convince me I'm wasting my time than that you like me, so I don't recommend that at all. Reciprocating a little interest is much more effective, in my opinion.

I don't think WS is describing "playing hard-to-get." There's a difference between being a tease or being unavailable when asked for availability and waiting until someone asks for your phone number before offering it. I think (and this is generally my perspective as well) that this is more about passing the ball. She asks him to coffee and makes interesting conversation. If he's not completely clueless AND he is interested, then the ball is in his court. She puts herself out there with the first invite and it's up to him to take the next step if he wants to. If she invites him to coffee and flirts and gives him her phone number and sets up the next date, that's the absence of "chase" or effort on his part.

Members don't see this ad.

Meh. Hard-to-get is just frustrating. It doesn't work on me or most guys I know. You're much more likely to convince me I'm wasting my time than that you like me, so I don't recommend that at all. Reciprocating a little interest is much more effective, in my opinion.

Right on. Playing hard to get, especially if its a girl in my class, could not chase me away any faster these days.

Couple anecdotes I'd like to share, given I've had too many experiences in the subject matter .. (No, I'm not bragging)

If you're going to try to get with this guy, you need to gauge his level of involvement/how much he would want out of this. Some guys aren't willing/wanting to commit to anything and just want the physical aspect of a relationship. Also realize that there are girls like this, too. If you can't handle that, then don't lie/pretend like you're going to sway him/her differently. You can usually tell by asking simple questions while you're having coffee/talking. I wouldn't mention it in the first interaction with the guy/girl, but after a couple times. So, remember what I just said - you have to feel/figure out what they want. I, personally, have my apprehensions about dating while in school. I have had to personally deal with the frustration of telling a girl it's over after taking chances while in school and seeing my grades drop. Some people can't do it, some can. So, if the other person only wants something physical, don't label them as selfish/douchebags. It's normal and honestly commendable to be honest about it.

Second - if you really want to not be obvious about it, have a get together. People don't study all the time in med school (just 99%) and want to unwind. This doesn't always involve getting blackout drunk and dancing at clubs. Some people enjoy just having a couple drinks at a quiet place and eating/talking. Doing it groups makes it less awkward about bringing up things like relations/etc. When you're in a group of familiar people, you're less stressed about talking about things because other people can relate. So, you get to see what this guy likes/doesn't like and what he wants.

Here's how I PERSONALLY handled the beginning of second year - My roommate and I threw a massive get together/party for ourselves and the MS1 class at our place. We literally told them the truth - you are NOT going to have a chance like this to interact together/relax/have fun like you are right now. Come, drop by, have a drink and get to know us/each other. It was probably the best experience ever because everyone got to know each other. The unfortunate thing is that our school is divided by campus sites and we only have 20 people per class 1st/2nd year. But the point I'm making is this - having a little get together at someones place and inviting others is a great way to get to know each other. You're all together and in for the same thing.

Lastly, don't feel bad about your situation. If there's one thing you don't want to do is let this get the better of you. Rejection will happen, a lot. But it's not yourself at all. You're young with a goal. Conquer that goal without letting things like relationships/pursuing relationships get to you. Be calm. Take it from someone who's in the worst place in med school (2nd semester/boards) - you DO NOT want this to take a toll on your performance. NO ONE will understand what you're going through outside of med school. It's a tiring/stressful/frustrating experience. If a guy is backed off at a bar because of what you do, then don't tell them you're a med student. Tell them you're a student. Don't focus on your education...that's not what you should be talking about. Honestly? When I talk to a girl at a bar/get together and she asks what I do, I usually just jokingly tell them "I'm unemployed" and see her reaction. Then I laugh and calmly tell her I'm joking/I'm a student. This does two things - 1) establishes that you have a sense of humor/can converse and 2) you are doing something with your life.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey its me again.. so here is an update..
I started hanging around more often and talking to that person and his friends more .. they seemed pretty welcoming and nice.. I always assumed they were the opposite.. anyways I offered him an extra set of notes one day that I happen to have (since he forgot his) and since then he doesn't pass me without smiling/waving /holding the door and saying hello..
we don't talk all the time but the one time we talked after class and headed to the library together he sat very close by.. we are good acquaintances I guess
so I finally got the courage to ask if he wanted to hangout sometime after the upcoming test.. he said yes and was like just let me know before so I make sure I am free.. I suggested a day he said ok.. then I said lets exchange numbers to keep in contact.. I was rushing to be somewhere/ did not have my phone on me so I said I will get it later.. he said that he can take mine and text me his ... he did that right away! Now should I confirm the day before? and does this seem platonic to you! I have so much going on now with school/boards and I don't want any guessing games/mind games on my part or his... My gut is telling me that he understands what is going on..and knows how the game goes... or could he be that innocent and think of it as something platonic?
thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
Unless he's dumb, he knows what's up. If it's just you 2 hanging out it's not platonic. If he wants to bring his boys along to hang out, you got friend zoned.

I just love the use of an exclamation point in the thread title. It really elevates the drama in this situation.

Reactions: 1 user
I started hanging around more often and talking to that person and his friends more .. they seemed pretty welcoming and nice.. I always assumed they were the opposite.. anyways I offered him an extra set of notes one day that I happen to have (since he forgot his) and since then he doesn't pass me without smiling/waving /holding the door and saying hello..
we don't talk all the time but the one time we talked after class and headed to the library together he sat very close by.. we are good acquaintances I guess
so I finally got the courage to ask if he wanted to hangout sometime after the upcoming test.. he said yes and was like just let me know before so I make sure I am free.. I suggested a day he said ok.. then I said lets exchange numbers to keep in contact.. I was rushing to be somewhere/ did not have my phone on me so I said I will get it later.. he said that he can take mine and text me his ... he did that right away! Now should I confirm the day before? and does this seem platonic to you! I have so much going on now with school/boards and I don't want any guessing games/mind games on my part or his... My gut is telling me that he understands what is going on..and knows how the game goes... or could he be that innocent and think of it as something platonic?

This is the cutest thing I have ever read on SDN. He knows........ Oh he knows. Lol. Don't text to confirm. Text to see how his weekend was or something like that and confirm while your talking about that.

You are good - he likes you.

Being a guy I can say this...we are dumb, but not that dumb. He knows what's going on and obviously feels similarly.

Playing devil's advocate here, but this doesn't necessarily mean that he's interested in you. It's natural for someone to take your number and then text you right away so that you have theirs. Also, there's a chance that he's only interested in a hook-up and nothing more.

Playing devil's advocate here, but this doesn't necessarily mean that he's interested in you. It's natural for someone to take your number and then text you right away so that you have theirs. Also, there's a chance that he's only interested in a hook-up and nothing more.

I agree I guess time will show...haha

Members don't see this ad :)
If this doesn't work out, holler at me.

I don't think WS is describing "playing hard-to-get." There's a difference between being a tease or being unavailable when asked for availability and waiting until someone asks for your phone number before offering it. I think (and this is generally my perspective as well) that this is more about passing the ball. She asks him to coffee and makes interesting conversation. If he's not completely clueless AND he is interested, then the ball is in his court. She puts herself out there with the first invite and it's up to him to take the next step if he wants to. If she invites him to coffee and flirts and gives him her phone number and sets up the next date, that's the absence of "chase" or effort on his part.

EXACTLY.

In no way was I advocating playing games or "playing hard to get".

I am suggesting that many women, especially young women, make the mistake of doing all the chasing without giving thought to whether the intended partner is receptive.

There are some men (and women) who are obtuse but in general, as LucidSplash notes, if she makes the first move and he does not reciprocate, then he likely isn't interested. My advice was for her to recognize that.

:corny:

I am a second year student and the whole dating thing has been on my mind lately. I didn't date much in college because I had a very limited options considering that my main concern was to get to med school so I didn't get out much. The few guys I was interested in were never interested in being more than just friends. I am not picky, but I want someone I can carry a conversation with who share at least some of the same values. And Right now every time a guy seems slightly interested , once he finds out about med school he runs for his life. I am told I am attractive, and I am in no way near being over-weight. I take care of myself. I thought about it and realized that maybe I should try and date within my class at least the guy would know what I am dealing with in terms of lifestyle and the constant studying.

So lets say I found a classmate who I know is available/single and I sort of started having kind of a crush, or lets I am curious in talking to him more outside of school how do I go about talking/ getting to know him. Our class is huge and friends circles are different and i have such a low profile since i tend to keep to myself and avoid drama like the plague. So i never get invited to the parties he attend and vice versa. we talked maybe 2x in person. I asked around and found out that he is not dauche bag or a player. I heard good things. He probably just know me by face and nothing more. How do I approach him without being creepy or desperate.

Okkk you found me. Lets just date already jeez.

There's a chance he's interested in some more notes and nothing more lol.

This is the cutest thing I have ever read on SDN. He knows........ Oh he knows. Lol. Don't text to confirm. Text to see how his weekend was or something like that and confirm while your talking about that.

Oh yeah he knows.

I just love cute threads :love:

haha.. no thanks.. virtual world boyfriends aren't my thing... I can gladly refer you to a friend haha ;)

Nah I can get a girl in the real world. I want a cyber wife and kids you know the THUG life.

I barely know the guy aside from random conversations here and there and asking around.

You sound superficial. You barely know him and yet you are this eager to ask him out? Why don't you try focusing on something more substantive than looks?

You sound superficial. You barely know him and yet you are this eager to ask him out? Why don't you try focusing on something more substantive than looks?

I enjoyed the part where this poster disparages someone for judging someone she barely knows by judging someone he barely knows.

I enjoyed the part where this poster disparages someone for judging someone she barely knows by judging someone he barely knows.

I agree haha :)
.I mean how often do you see guys objectify women in their typical conversation.. seriously come on!

And to the fellow who called me superficial; normal people tend to want to date people they are attracted to, last time I checked, and the attraction isn't only physical..its the whole package you see... I don't know what made you think that way, I never implied that I wanted to get with this dude because he is SO HOT... so stop thinking like you are in HS

The conclusion I came to followed from what she said. It doesn't matter that I don't "know" her. Note that she confirms my conclusion in her most recent comment.

Last edited:
I agree haha :)
.I mean how often do you see guys objectify women in their typical conversation.. seriously come on!

And to the fellow who called me superficial; normal people tend to want to date people they are attracted to, last time I checked, and the attraction isn't only physical..its the whole package you see... I don't know what made you think that way, I never implied that I wanted to get with this dude because he is SO HOT... so stop thinking like you are in HS

Right, it's not only physical, it's based on the "whole package" deduced from the few minutes (seconds?) of small talk you've had with him.

Last edited:
Right, it's not only physical, it's based on the "whole package" deduced from the few minutes (seconds?) of small talk you've had with him.

You're annoying. Stop being a buzz kill.

Well, this has devolved quickly. I'm rooting for the hairy one.

Put your push-up bra on, get close to him, and accidentally grab his croch. This will let him know that you're a naughty little dirty girl and he will like this. A lot.

Play it cool, but I think you're in! Guys don't normally make plans with girls, alone, that they aren't in some way interested it. Even if it is just innocent, you've made a new friend and you've overcome some anxiety about meeting new people. Update again! :D