Dating as a biomedical engineering major /premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tijames

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is dating as a biomedical engineering major /premed a bad idea? Does having such a heavy load take much of an emotional toll that effects relationships?

Also, is it good to date girls in a totally different field (eg. art or philosophy) to get a break from the sciences?

Members don't see this ad.

i wish i had a girl, it would be much easier on my mind than being lonely...

Members don't see this ad :)
tijames said:
Is dating as a biomedical engineering major /premed a bad idea? Does having such a heavy load take much of an emotional toll that effects relationships?

Also, is it good to date girls in a totally different field (eg. art or philosophy) to get a break from the sciences?

Yes.

to answer: science vs arts, i think it doesnt matter. those are very big faculties. but the chick certainly shouldnt be insecure.

Hurry! Once you become a med student, you can kiss your dating life goodbye. Those who think I'm kidding will have a rough wake-up call soon.

blake, that is depressing. but im sure a man will always make the time to date girls, as long as he's not rejected by them...

Blake said:
Hurry! Once you become a med student, you can kiss your dating life goodbye. Those who think I'm kidding will have a rough wake-up call soon.

Dating life is much better when girls find out you are a med student.

Unless of course you are a loser.

OSUdoc08 said:
Dating life is much better when girls find out you are a med student.
I wouldn't know, I haven't met many women outside of med school lately.

Blake said:
I wouldn't know, I haven't met many women outside of med school lately.

You should try hitting up some bars/clubs the evening after an exam sometime. The night after your last final is a good start. Make sure to wear some clothing with your med school logo on it. It works well.

:thumbup:

tijames said:

My boyfriend is a dental student. It's not a glamorous life. We were together for 1.5 years when he started, so I was already in deep with him. But, if I just met him as a first year student, I don't think I'd be so interested in the friday and saturday night study dates. You've got to find a very understanding person to date, it helps if the person is also busy. Me? I'm a grad student, and I have all this extra time on my hands while the boy is studying, it really sux, but it makes you appreciate the time with them more.

If you dont take time to date as a premed (due to an "overwhelming" courseload), then you sure as hell wont find time to date as a medical student or resident, and the first few years as a licensed physician because you'll be too busy starting a practice or making money to pay off loans. So if you cant find time now, you probably never will. Don't buy into the hype about the difficutly of being an engineer/biochem/floral arts major, its usually way overblown anyway. :luck:

tijames said:

About 25% of my biomedical engineering classmates were also premed and almost all were dating someone during undergrad. Maybe 10% got married between undergrad and med school. (Well, one girl went into law instead, still got married ,though.) For engineering majors it's not that heavy a load because the premed courses are part of your major anyway. You have to date at this age. When else are you going to do it? Besides, you probably aren't going to be slaving away all weekend every weekend. Like SanDiego said, don't believe the hype.

tijames said:

Personally, I had a lot of trouble dating people from soft majors and being happy. This was mostly because I couldn't understand why they weren't interested in my research or my classes. I was interested in what they were doing after all. Anyway, once I met my husband things totally changed. Although, he's a PhD in microbio he understands my eng. courses and at least pretends to be interested even if he's not. He doesn't mind if I practice my 30 min presentations on him. (My last one was about laminar flow and heat transfer, talk about yawn city!) So, I guess the trick is to find someone who has what you want. In my case, I needed someone I could talk to about work, school or whatever without constantly explaining everything. My bro, on the other hand, dated people wildly outside his field. He's a chem eng major and now is married to an artist. He wanted to leave work\school and not have to talk about it. He enjoys being an engineer but didn't want to live engineering 24/7. His needs are different than mine. So, you need to figure out what you want in a SO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that if you are so inept that you have to ask this question on SDN, you probably know the answer already- no one wants to date you.

tijames said:

go for the girls in artsy fartsy majors, theyre hotter

Shredder said:
go for the girls in artsy fartsy majors, theyre hotter

Yeah, but dumber.

If you're a dramatic person, or dating one, dating will definitely add stress. Hello, fights the night before big tests. However, if you're pretty easy-going and find a partner who is the same way, dating (and attendant activities) can be a great stress reliever. You have someone there to listen and cuddle, and that makes a difference.

I like to date people I have a fair amount in common with, but prefer to date outside of the premed/medical arena because it helps avoid getting totally sucked in, lets you meet people who have other things to talk about, etc. For me, I tended to date CS and math majors (especially since I was an engineering major) and that worked out well. My boyfriend now is an ex-programmer now working for a think tank, so he gets my geekiness but exposes me to other topics as well, which is awesome.

tijames said:

you're thinking about this stuff to much dude. if you find someone that's good for you, you'll find the time to work them into your busy schedule of fretting about tests and planning your future while surfin sdn.

OSUdoc08 said:
Yeah, but dumber.

I resent that. I'm Pre-Med AND a Philosophy Major (fancy that!) Got into med school, and happily attending in the Fall. You can look down upon Philosophy all you want, I don't mind...just don't say we're dumber. The fact that we can think outside the box when there is no such thing as a right answer (as there usually is in science) says a lot more about the way we think than the way you do.

Look, you have to take time to date. Or at least chill out if dating's not your thing. I think the only way I got through pre-med was by taking time to relax. I see these kids in my science classes who do nothing but spend all their time in the library. I studied as much as I needed to to score high on the MCATs and get into school, and I even had time to date, drink, and have fun. And I did the same if not better than the ones who never took a break. I know med school will be harder and more time consuming, but hey...may as well try. There might even be more girls like me looking to do well in med school and date at the same time. Don't be afraid of rejection cause hey--you're gonna be a doctor.

K8ster said:
I resent that. I'm Pre-Med AND a Philosophy Major (fancy that!) Got into med school, and happily attending in the Fall. You can look down upon Philosophy all you want, I don't mind...just don't say we're dumber. The fact that we can think outside the box when there is no such thing as a right answer (as there usually is in science) says a lot more about the way we think than the way you do.

Look, you have to take time to date. Or at least chill out if dating's not your thing. I think the only way I got through pre-med was by taking time to relax. I see these kids in my science classes who do nothing but spend all their time in the library. I studied as much as I needed to to score high on the MCATs and get into school, and I even had time to date, drink, and have fun. And I did the same if not better than the ones who never took a break. I know med school will be harder and more time consuming, but hey...may as well try. There might even be more girls like me looking to do well in med school and date at the same time. Don't be afraid of rejection cause hey--you're gonna be a doctor.

I don't think they were referring to students in the humanities and arts that are actually going to medical school.

It was probably more aimed at those who don't plan to go beyond undergrad.

As far as generalizations go, OSU doc has it nailed.

It seems the more flimsy the major, the hotter and dumber the girl (or guy). Yes there are exceptions, but we're being offensive here...so I refuse to offer a caveat!

OSUdoc08 said:
Yeah, but dumber.
:eek:

Artsy-fartsy girl here. (but not my major) Holla!! (just kidding) :smuggrin:

Ok let me just introduce myself real quick. I'm a 4th year BE/PM and I'm headin to AECOM next year. I got 10 interviews and 3 acceptances so far. Plus I have had a girlfriend for about 7 years. We met in highschool and we're planning on getting married later. So yes you can have social life while being a bioeng/premed. If you think you're going to be that busy that you can't even hang out with someone for a few hours a day, then I don't think you'll be very happy in college. It may take some effort, but find someone who is also career-minded and serious about their future and with similar interests. You guys can go out on the weekends and study together on the weekdays. It isn't impossible.

pdcheung said:
Ok let me just introduce myself real quick. I'm a 4th year BE/PM and I'm headin to AECOM next year. I got 10 interviews and 3 acceptances so far. Plus I have had a girlfriend for about 7 years. We met in highschool and we're planning on getting married later. So yes you can have social life while being a bioeng/premed. If you think you're going to be that busy that you can't even hang out with someone for a few hours a day, then I don't think you'll be very happy in college. It may take some effort, but find someone who is also career-minded and serious about their future and with similar interests. You guys can go out on the weekends and study together on the weekdays. It isn't impossible.

You didn't have to find a girlfriend while in college--you already had an established relationship.

I think it would be more difficult if you are single to start.

I'm a BME major. I've been with my girlfriend for 2 years now. I didn't get to see her much in the months leading up to the MCAT (march and april mostly), but aside from that, it's never been much of a problem. I take pretty decent course loads (e.g. 18 credits, 16 credits, / semester or so) and honestly the time issue is not a big problem. Then again, it helps that we live close to each other on the same campus... if distance were an additional element, I think that would definitely have quite a detrimental effect, because I wouldn't be able to make weekend road trips for visits...

Oh and also, she's in a liberal arts background :D

I don't know how things will be once I (very hopefully) head off for med school - with luck everything will be alright and we'll work through it, and presumably this will be the case if we "were meant to be" and whatnot. Plus, a relationship strong enough to endure the distance that med school inserts could withstand quite a lot!

Anyway, I dunno, but to answer your question, a BME premed does not intrinsically exclude any relationship prospects.

i cannot empahsis enough how much you guys are overthinking this. i know we're (premeds) are conditioned to plan everything we're going to do for the next ten years down to the day, but this sort of planning just doesn't work w/matters of the heart.

you've just got to let things happen. there's no predicting or defining before hand.

stoic said:
you've just got to let things happen. there's no predicting or defining before hand.

I second this. I'm a cell bio major and my boyfriend is an electrical engineer/neuroscience minor AND we go to different schools (about 30 minutes apart). We make it work... (knocks wood furiously) :laugh:

i think there must be more guys than girls on sdn or something b/c all people post abt is GUYS finding girls to date. it doesn't seem like you fellas should be worrying to much since male doctors and med students have so much currency in the dating market. but what's it like for girls? do you find that many of your male classmates are only interested in nursing students and liberal arts majors or is it a free-for all? ive heard so many depressing stories from my friends in grad school about how half the class is married or engaged and everyone is too busy with their heads in the books to notice anyone else. :( and when do you have time to go and meet ppl outside of med school?