-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Dating in Medical School
Started by bahdahboom
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Come on man we all know what the reason is. ..... That Step scoreNo young attractive 10/10 female wants to date me. They don't even want to put their number in my phone and netflix and chill. I keep getting rejected every day. I don't know what it is.
![]()
G
grapefruit17
Offer to take them out to uworldNo young attractive 10/10 female wants to date me. They don't even want to put their number in my phone and netflix and chill. I keep getting rejected every day. I don't know what it is.
![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You need to apply yourself broadly. Hopefully a community-based small-town attractive female gives you this opportunity. Make sure your LORs are stellar from past exes.No young attractive 10/10 female wants to date me. They don't even want to put their number in my phone and netflix and chill. I keep getting rejected every day. I don't know what it is.
![]()
No young attractive 10/10 female wants to date me. They don't even want to put their number in my phone and netflix and chill. I keep getting rejected every day. I don't know what it is.
![]()
This isn't r/dating, but I've already said a lot so let me give my comprehensive, and most updated mentality on this attitude that you're acting out. If it's too cliche for you, too bad because you've been beating this dead horse for months.
We love to make excuses for our lack of success in the dating world because it preserves our accomplishments while allowing ourselves to dwell in self-pity. On a personal level, I'd blame my lack of dating success on very similar factors you have. The problem we both have is that we over-emphasize the tangibles and ignore everything else. At the end of the day, people who are worse looking, shorter, and of all kinds of ethnicities who are willing to put the time in to developing soft-skills and making women feel secure and special around them are bagging hotter chicks than I could even dream off. Even though you like to parody it at times, girls aren't ad-comms checking off boxes. They're very emotionally-intuitive creatures that are very sensitive to how you make them feel. If you're confident, she feels secure. If you're kind, she admires that. Of course you can fake something, but eventually she'll pick up on it.
Instead of chasing the tangibles like a 260+ Step score, 5'10+" stature, perfect abs, and a 400K+ salary that you think will make you the perfect package, just introspect and figure out which values you want to strive to defend and live your life by. This builds character which molds personality which will then attracts girls, yet that's only a side-effect. More importantly, it instantly makes your life more meaningful.
THe use of terms like “alpha/beta” is literally so cringe. And I definitely don’t think I would fare well icreating an online profile to show off my assets
This thread makes me glad I found someone before even applying to med school.
This thread makes me glad I found someone before even applying to med school.
Hello all!
I was wondering what people's thoughts were on dating within the med school but outside the class. (For example, an M2 dating an M1.) This honestly seems like the best option, as I wouldn't see them as often if things were to go awry. As an incoming M1, will I have the chance to meet M2s easily?
For context and clarification, I am a woman interested in men. 🙂
I was wondering what people's thoughts were on dating within the med school but outside the class. (For example, an M2 dating an M1.) This honestly seems like the best option, as I wouldn't see them as often if things were to go awry. As an incoming M1, will I have the chance to meet M2s easily?
For context and clarification, I am a woman interested in men. 🙂
Ask for their Step 1 score first. You'll thank me later.Hello all!
I was wondering what people's thoughts were on dating within the med school but outside the class. (For example, an M2 dating an M1.) This honestly seems like the best option, as I wouldn't see them as often if things were to go awry. As an incoming M1, will I have the chance to meet M2s easily?
For context and clarification, I am a woman interested in men. 🙂
Ask for their Step 1 score first. You'll thank me later.
But they wouldn't have taken Step 1 yet if they're an incoming M2.

Good point. Ask how about their UWorld/NBME scores later in the academic year haha.But they wouldn't have taken Step 1 yet if they're an incoming M2.![]()
Or just date an M1 and hope for the best! You're right though there's definitely a chance things might get awkward if things don't work out.
Last edited:
BRUHHHHHThis isn't r/dating, but I've already said a lot so let me give my comprehensive, and most updated mentality on this attitude that you're acting out. If it's too cliche for you, too bad because you've been beating this dead horse for months.
We love to make excuses for our lack of success in the dating world because it preserves our accomplishments while allowing ourselves to dwell in self-pity. On a personal level, I'd blame my lack of dating success on very similar factors you have. The problem we both have is that we over-emphasize the tangibles and ignore everything else. At the end of the day, people who are worse looking, shorter, and of all kinds of ethnicities who are willing to put the time in to developing soft-skills and making women feel secure and special around them are bagging hotter chicks than I could even dream off. Even though you like to parody it at times, girls aren't ad-comms checking off boxes. They're very emotionally-intuitive creatures that are very sensitive to how you make them feel. If you're confident, she feels secure. If you're kind, she admires that. Of course you can fake something, but eventually she'll pick up on it.
Instead of chasing the tangibles like a 260+ Step score, 5'10+" stature, perfect abs, and a 400K+ salary that you think will make you the perfect package, just introspect and figure out which values you want to strive to defend and live your life by. This builds character which molds personality which will then attracts girls, yet that's only a side-effect. More importantly, it instantly makes your life more meaningful.

G
grapefruit17
Yea dating a year above you is prob the best bet. And tbh I'm pretty sure most of the guys in later classes were going after the incoming ms1sHello all!
I was wondering what people's thoughts were on dating within the med school but outside the class. (For example, an M2 dating an M1.) This honestly seems like the best option, as I wouldn't see them as often if things were to go awry. As an incoming M1, will I have the chance to meet M2s easily?
For context and clarification, I am a woman interested in men. 🙂
G
grapefruit17
As a single girl going into medical school you'll probably have your pick of most guys. Medical school is stressful, so yeah..
As a single girl going into medical school you'll probably have your pick of most guys. Medical school is stressful, so yeah..
Dating pool decreases as women go up in education and socioeconomic status. Its why I see many female residents single. Many girls in my class are married or met their significant other in college or before but attracting guys with education tends not to pan out well. Google Hypergamy.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
G
grapefruit17
I think that's mainly due to lack of time to meet people once you're a resident. A lot of people became couples, "casual" partners, and even married in my class.Dating pool decreases as women go up in education and socioeconomic status. Its why I see many female residents single. Many girls in my class are married or met their significant other in college or before but attracting guys with education tends not to pan out well. Google Hypergamy.
that's part of it. the other part that most females don't want to admit is that many of them really don't want to marry down. I remember having a discussion with the chief resident of surgery and she was like I am going to find someone of similar status. Like you are already in your early 30s and not many guys are going to have achieved that except for other professionals. What attracts a guy and girl are very different because guess what we were made differently.I think that's mainly due to lack of time to meet people once you're a resident. A lot of people became couples, "casual" partners, and even married in my class.
Haha. I actually dated a guy in my class. Medicine/class work was brought up so many times :/. We split d/t ideological differences.Unless you don't mind solely having medicine on your mind at all times, don't date a classmate.
If you read "Being Mortal", there is a section about a physician that won all of his sales contests in high school. The reason - he wasn't afraid of being rejected so he took a lot more no's to get the yes. This is true in dating for both sexes. You miss every ball you don't swing at. If my wife had not swung, she would've missed me, because I was in a burnt out dating state at the time we met (from lots of nos or yesses that after a few weeks/months I decided weren't for me and led to emotionally draining conversations/fallouts). Yet, she swung and now we have been happily married for a year and, as it stands, hopefully a lifetime. Put yourself out there. The pain of nos or yesses that you have to let down are part of living. Try to enjoy them too, they will inform the married person you become. Also, it's okay of some of your swings are online; who cares as more swings means more likely to have a hit. Also, be picky. Don't swing at something you don't want to hit. Waste of energy and time, both of which are precious to an individual productive enough to be a Med student.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This isn't r/dating, but I've already said a lot so let me give my comprehensive, and most updated mentality on this attitude that you're acting out. If it's too cliche for you, too bad because you've been beating this dead horse for months.
We love to make excuses for our lack of success in the dating world because it preserves our accomplishments while allowing ourselves to dwell in self-pity. On a personal level, I'd blame my lack of dating success on very similar factors you have. The problem we both have is that we over-emphasize the tangibles and ignore everything else. At the end of the day, people who are worse looking, shorter, and of all kinds of ethnicities who are willing to put the time in to developing soft-skills and making women feel secure and special around them are bagging hotter chicks than I could even dream off. Even though you like to parody it at times, girls aren't ad-comms checking off boxes. They're very emotionally-intuitive creatures that are very sensitive to how you make them feel. If you're confident, she feels secure. If you're kind, she admires that. Of course you can fake something, but eventually she'll pick up on it.
Instead of chasing the tangibles like a 260+ Step score, 5'10+" stature, perfect abs, and a 400K+ salary that you think will make you the perfect package, just introspect and figure out which values you want to strive to defend and live your life by. This builds character which molds personality which will then attracts girls, yet that's only a side-effect. More importantly, it instantly makes your life more meaningful.
Very deep argument, prob too deep for a shallow person like myself to comprehend. Until I see something like She's Out of my League happening in real life, I just can't buy the argument. Women are just as, or even more so, shallow than men. Granted I'm trying at all right now (aka my life is in the s* and I need to do something about it so women are really low on my priority list now) but those 10s literally have so many options they can be picky as crap. But you are right, my whole life has been driven by those tangibles and when I don't reach them, my confidence gets crushed. Insecurity is a turn off.
I'm only here because I saw the thread topic is dating and the last poster was FailedAtLife.
The post did not disappoint. 10/10.
The post did not disappoint. 10/10.
You are making excuses. Read dating books and pickup. Everything is learnable and there is literally unlimited information available.Very deep argument, prob too deep for a shallow person like myself to comprehend. Until I see something like She's Out of my League happening in real life, I just can't buy the argument. Women are just as, or even more so, shallow than men. Granted I'm trying at all right now (aka my life is in the s* and I need to do something about it so women are really low on my priority list now) but those 10s literally have so many options they can be picky as crap. But you are right, my whole life has been driven by those tangibles and when I don't reach them, my confidence gets crushed. Insecurity is a turn off.
Man some of you guys asking some weird ass questions lol
Went into med school as an in-the-closet gay man and graduated med school as an out-of-the-closet gay married man. It happens.
People think that just because you are in medical school now that you have a license to slay the baddies...not the case.
If you're an insecure, egotistical doucher before the short white coat... best believe nothing will change.
Also, most of the med school chicks I've met have a huge chip on their shoulder. I get it... it's harder being a female in a predominately male-oriented profession.
Hell, I'm super turned on by a girl who is driven, smart, and kinda gunnerish. I actually like that. I love the confidence and I can only imagine how much bull y'all have to go through. But guess what... we all do.
Some of y'all need to live it up a bit and don't need to keep reminding us how studies show that female physicians are better than their male counterparts (this happened too much during female physician day or whatever). It reeks of insecurity.
Be yourself. Be cool. Do your thang shorty.
If you're an insecure, egotistical doucher before the short white coat... best believe nothing will change.
Also, most of the med school chicks I've met have a huge chip on their shoulder. I get it... it's harder being a female in a predominately male-oriented profession.
Hell, I'm super turned on by a girl who is driven, smart, and kinda gunnerish. I actually like that. I love the confidence and I can only imagine how much bull y'all have to go through. But guess what... we all do.
Some of y'all need to live it up a bit and don't need to keep reminding us how studies show that female physicians are better than their male counterparts (this happened too much during female physician day or whatever). It reeks of insecurity.
Be yourself. Be cool. Do your thang shorty.
If you are a grill looking for a quality relationship, you should do online but at a paid site. You will only get gamma tier nobodies via tinder and the free apps, and anyone beta tier or higher will only want to sleep with you/arent interested in anything more. If you are hot, then you will get tons of messages from creeps larping as regular guys. The paid sites are really the best option for you because while it will not completely eliminate the betas it will at least create that extra barrier where broke nobodies and losers living in mommies basement are excluded for simple economic reasons. The paid sites also allow you to sift through your (much smaller but more high quality) matches with more information to look at. Its like having resumes from potential suitors.
If you are a guy and you are 4/10 or above in looks department (seth rogan being a 4, for example), have somewhat decent social intelligence (not all med students do), have some confidence, and at least act like you aren't a beta (e.g. not a social justice warrior, whiny coward, or overly effeminate), then getting a decently-looking Grill is pretty easy-mode as an M.D. student. American women are by and large sick of the Nu-Male, so just merely having a guarenteed career path with high prestige and earning potential is enough to get your proverbial foot in the door.
I met my wife in person about six months before med school began and she was BTFO with my alpha-tier status. I would say I am better than average looking (or was when I met her) but not by that much. Still, she definitely had other options, and me being in a high prestige career with good earning potential was very important to her. You should definitely use your career to your advantage.
Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile
Lol at Larping as a regular guy. Sometimes I feel like I am larping as a physician
My school is loaded with Nu-males.
Reading SDN dating threads always makes me think of that “bag of sand” scene from Forty Year Old Virgin.
Ahah ahahaMy school is loaded with Nu-males.
Old post but all attractive people (male or female) are very picky about looks. That's life.Very deep argument, prob too deep for a shallow person like myself to comprehend. Until I see something like She's Out of my League happening in real life, I just can't buy the argument. Women are just as, or even more so, shallow than men. Granted I'm trying at all right now (aka my life is in the s* and I need to do something about it so women are really low on my priority list now) but those 10s literally have so many options they can be picky as crap. But you are right, my whole life has been driven by those tangibles and when I don't reach them, my confidence gets crushed. Insecurity is a turn off.
Anyone reading this ^^ --> don't follow this advice. "Pick up" material is a scam and cringey and dating books are full of nonsense. Just talk to people in your own league and you'll do just fine.You are making excuses. Read dating books and pickup. Everything is learnable and there is literally unlimited information available.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You literally contradict yourself here. Can you 'only imagine' the bull, or do you know because you go through it too, because 'we all do'?Also, most of the med school chicks I've met have a huge chip on their shoulder. I get it... it's harder being a female in a predominately male-oriented profession.
Hell, I'm super turned on by a girl who is driven, smart, and kinda gunnerish. I actually like that. I love the confidence and I can only imagine how much bull y'all have to go through. But guess what... we all do.
Oh no, did they spend one day that was dedicated to female physicians (granted, I've never heard of that day but if it was a thing where you are, this stands) reminding you that female physicians are awesome?Some of y'all need to live it up a bit and don't need to keep reminding us how studies show that female physicians are better than their male counterparts (this happened too much during female physician day or whatever). It reeks of insecurity.
Seriously, this post is pretty internally inconsistent. You either 'get it' or you don't...but you shouldn't claim that you get it while every other statement that you make demonstrates how you really, really don't.
Uhhh, noAs a single girl going into medical school you'll probably have your pick of most guys. Medical school is stressful, so yeah..
This only applies if you’re attractive. This thought pattern is what leads to a false sense of entitlement.
Disagree. Most girls in medicine date up in looks.Uhhh, no
This only applies if you’re attractive. This thought pattern is what leads to a false sense of entitlement.
Disagree. Most girls in medicine date up in looks.
Is that all it takes to be an alpha? To ask girls out?If you are a guy you need to be alpha and ask girls out. Dating apps are totally sub par to simply being blunt and asking a girl out. If you are an average looking dude the chances of a girl asking you out in our society is about as common as getting struck by lightning...twice. If you are a girl I don't have any advice for you because I am a guy.
Disagree. Most girls in medicine date up in looks.
There is a difference between dating and one night stands. Unattractive women are certainly not dating up in looks. Usually it's the other way around where guys end up dating up.
Lolwat? And who said anything about unattractive or attractive? Dating up usually means the partner is a little bit better looking, not completely out of their league.There is a difference between dating and one night stands. Unattractive women are certainly not dating up in looks. Usually it's the other way around where guys end up dating up.
And no, lets end this myth of ugly girl-hot girl. Unless a girl is incredibly insecure (which isn't overly uncommon) or really wants cash (not nearly as common anymore), she isn't dating a guy who isn't equal to her in looks.
Lolwat? And who said anything about unattractive or attractive? Dating up usually means the partner is a little bit better looking, not completely out of their league.
And no, lets end this myth of ugly girl-hot girl. Unless a girl is incredibly insecure (which isn't overly uncommon) or really wants cash (not nearly as common anymore), she isn't dating a guy who isn't equal to her in looks.
Kinda agree, but not on the looks. Women like to date up, and would compromise somewhat on looks as long as the guy is a successful, well liked guy. That is for serious dating. For casual dating/flings, women are way more shallow than men.
True. Though specifically for the really attractive ones, they're going to be super picky on every level regardless.Kinda agree, but not on the looks. Women like to date up, and would compromise somewhat on looks as long as the guy is a successful, well liked guy. That is for serious dating. For casual dating/flings, women are way more shallow than men.
Thing with male looks is there is only so much you can control. A nice hair cut and clothes help a little bit, but can't change your face that much. Hence why I think pick up culture is dangerous as it bred these whackos online (red pillers, "incels" or whatever).
True. Though specifically for the really attractive ones, they're going to be super picky on every level regardless.
Thing with male looks is there is only so much you can control. A nice hair cut and clothes help a little bit, but can't change your face that much. Hence why I think pick up culture is dangerous as it bred these whackos online (red pillers, "incels" or whatever).
Get jacked, dress well, be personable. That will get most guys to 5-6, even ugly ones. Be successful, and that'll add another point or two. Voila, now you can have quite a bit of success. Super hot chick might be out of your league, but plenty of 7s and 8s good looking broads out there. And if you keep hitting on super hot ones, you'll get lucky every now and then. Red Pillers and incels are just losers who didn't invest in themselves and now blame others for their shortcomings. Life is not fair, but you can make the best of what you have.
Man this thread reminds me of how we all got played by failedatlife
D
deleted103644
Jesus, one read through this thread is enough to turn anyone off of dating.
A sane reaction to this thread and a Firefly avatar? You’re definitely a keeper.
D
deleted103644
Man this thread reminds me of how we all got played by failedatlife
So he succeeded?
D
deleted103644
Jesus, one read through this thread is enough to turn anyone off of dating.
And if you get the Joss Whedon reference in my avatar, I might have to propose (not knowing whether you’re male or female).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I started a relationship in medical school and I'm very happy.
On another note, this thread is the first time I've seen people use those weird dating terms (alpha, beta, etc.) non-ironically and it's much worse than I would have imagined.
Every man I know of balances their inner chest beating gorilla and their inner cuddler.
Being catty about this social reality? I'll bite my tongue.
For all you people who started relationships in preclinical years... were these with fellow classmates?
If not, where did you meet your SO?
Don't date your classmates.
1, snowalkes making personal dramas into administrative issues 2, small social groups means gossip GOSSIP - class doesn't need to know about my fetishes or family stuff
Meeting an SO outside of medicine:
1. Take a shower (optional)
2. Hi I'm a doctor
3. ???
4. Profit
MDs have just a little bit less SES than professional athletes and billionaires. If you have any kind of social skills, the rest is trivial.
TBH, I don't...but it's also very dark and I can't see what's going on very well. Sorry to disappoint, I suppose you'll have to slog through this morass after all. 😉And if you get the Joss Whedon reference in my avatar, I might have to propose (not knowing whether you’re male or female).
I mean I agree with self improvement and taking attempts but there are endless guys who still get rejected a lot. The common issue is they all want the hot girl on instagram rather than the average girl that is more attainable.Get jacked, dress well, be personable. That will get most guys to 5-6, even ugly ones. Be successful, and that'll add another point or two. Voila, now you can have quite a bit of success. Super hot chick might be out of your league, but plenty of 7s and 8s good looking broads out there. And if you keep hitting on super hot ones, you'll get lucky every now and then. Red Pillers and incels are just losers who didn't invest in themselves and now blame others for their shortcomings. Life is not fair, but you can make the best of what you have.
I also think muscles, height etc is very over rated.
Maybe in the 70s brah.Don't date your classmates.
1, snowalkes making personal dramas into administrative issues 2, small social groups means gossip GOSSIP - class doesn't need to know about my fetishes or family stuff
Meeting an SO outside of medicine:
1. Take a shower (optional)
2. Hi I'm a doctor
3. ???
4. Profit
MDs have just a little bit less SES than professional athletes and billionaires. If you have any kind of social skills, the rest is trivial.
Similar threads
D
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 572
D