dating residents...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MistyEyed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i know this has come up on SDN before, but i'm seriously attracted to my intern. He's expressed interest also, saying things like "you seem like the kinda person i'd like to hang out with...". He's my intern for another week...but what after that? Whats the best way to let him know that i'd like to see him again and not at the hospital??

Members don't see this ad.

So i know this has come up on SDN before, but i'm seriously attracted to my intern. He's expressed interest also, saying things like "you seem like the kinda person i'd like to hang out with...". He's my intern for another week...but what after that? Whats the best way to let him know that i'd like to see him again and not at the hospital??

When your not working under him anymore, I'd say go for it. Just let him know that you'd like to see him again sometime after the rotation is done.

Slip him your # the last day of the rotation. Tell him you would like to keep in touch. But say it in that way that women know how, you know the way that makes it very clear you want something else. You women are experts at that.

Unless he's really slow, he'll get the hint.

Members don't see this ad :)
Slip him your # the last day of the rotation. Tell him you would like to keep in touch. But say it in that way that women know how, you know the way that makes it very clear you want something else. You women are experts at that.

Unless he's really slow, he'll get the hint.
Way too subtle. Odds are you've already exchanged numbers being on the same service, so play it like this:

You: "Hey it's been great hanging out with you this month"
Clueless intern: "Yeah, it's been great hanging out with you too"
You: "You know, we should hang out together when this month is over"
Intern slowly starting to get the hint: "Uh... yeah, totally"
You: "Super. I see you're post call Saturday, let's grab some dinner"
Intern ready to fall down on his knees and thank god: "absolutely"

Women are always so predictable: trying to snatch up the young male doctor. Next thing you know you'll be talking about practicing medicine 20 hrs/wk when you finish up residency.

When your not working under him anymore, I'd say go for it. Just let him know that you'd like to see him again sometime after the rotation is done.

Yes. When you aren't working under him....so you can work under him, or above him, or maybe to the side of him, or any combination of those

Sorry, hard to not add juvenile humor

Yes. When you aren't working under him....so you can work under him, or above him, or maybe to the side of him, or any combination of those

Sorry, hard to not add juvenile humor

:laugh:
Cue up the "bow chicka bow wow"

Women are always so predictable: trying to snatch up the young male doctor. Next thing you know you'll be talking about practicing medicine 20 hrs/wk when you finish up residency.

how do you know misteyed is female?

Agreed that nothing should happen until AFTER the rotation (and after all grades/evals are in). You just don't want any chance of "shady business" being implied.

Having said that, tread carefully. Hospitals are notorious for their fast-spreading gossip and know that many people will find out if you two are dating - if you're OK with that, and OK with what people may say if things don't work out, go for it.

Agreed that nothing should happen until AFTER the rotation (and after all grades/evals are in). You just don't want any chance of "shady business" being implied.

Having said that, tread carefully. Hospitals are notorious for their fast-spreading gossip and know that many people will find out if you two are dating - if you're OK with that, and OK with what people may say if things don't work out, go for it.

What he said.

I have seen married resident couple arguing with each other when they are together on floor
not cute

I've had it not work out (dated a surgery resident back in July on my first rotation as M3) and had it work out (currently dating an EM/IM resident and now a M4). Both times, Ive kept it secretive at first to prevent snide remarks from other residents/students. We also keep it professional at work, when we do run into each other. It can be done;)