Dating a resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSII UPike

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do schools usually have/enforce any rules, suggestions against or discourage students on rotations dating residents in the same core clinical sites?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do schools usually have/enforce any rules, suggestions against or discourage students on rotations dating residents in the same core clinical sites?
Thanks.
Yes if they are in a position to supervise/evaluate you.

Some workplaces prohibit all romances between employees however, this is widely ignored.

Reactions: 1 user
just don't brag about it. And if you have to dump her, do it after the grade already released

Members don't see this ad :)
How would it be risking legal action?
1) date someone whom you supervise
2) write them a (deserved/not deserved) bad evaluation
3) relationship ends badly
4) student claims bad evaluation unfair, seeks retribution; employer cites institution regulations against dating someone you supervise

It doesn't take a lot of imagination. There's a reason why almost everyone advises against dating someone you supervise.

Reactions: 2 users
4) student claims bad evaluation unfair, seeks retribution; employer cites institution regulations against dating someone you supervise

It doesn't take a lot of imagination. There's a reason why almost everyone advises against dating someone you supervise.[/QUOTEif there is no direct supervision? But residents friends could impact

It doesn't take a lot of imagination. There's a reason why almost everyone advises against dating someone you supervise.

Last edited:
Besides work place, do schools actually have rules in place against this? Or does it vary by school? As in while sending students off on rotations, do schools say "hey U cant sleepwith residents"?
Why don't you check with your school?

Even if your school didn't have that prohibition:

1) we've told you that surely his/her program does
2) he/she cannot be that irresistible that you can't wait until the rotation is over

Why don't you check with your school?

Even if your school didn't have that prohibition:

1) we've told you that surely his/her program does
2) he/she cannot be that irresistible that you can't wait until the rotation is over

I dunno, some of them are really hot

Reactions: 3 users
You guys just made that resident forbidden fruit. They're probably doing it right now.

Reactions: 5 users
Such a horrible idea. If it gets out both of you will be viewed as highly unprofessional which will negatively influence future evals. Not worth your career. If you are that into him/her then wait until your professional relationship is finished before you pursue.

Reactions: 1 users
A resident that wants to date a med student has serious issues, good luck with that.

A resident that wants to date a med student has serious issues, good luck with that.

Hardly. It's not as though they're different species. The medical hierarchy is staunch and can make one lose sight of the fact that two such individuals are more equals than not.

There were a couple of students ahead of me in med school that ended up being my residents. Then when I joined the same residency, we were colleagues in the same program. There were a few residents in my program that hooked up with each other despite being different classes. It's hardly pedophilia even if it can be problmeatic in other ways.

I went out with a few fellows and residents from other programs that had we met in med school, would have been residents while I was a student.

No matter where one is in training, give it like 4-5 years, and you're both attendings or fellows. Plenty of people who didn't start med school the same year get married and after that period of time the hierarchy matters not at all. Particularly if you're in separate fields.