David Newman allegations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can never understand how people can get so desperate as to rub one off in front of an unwilling person AT WORK. I mean WTF is going through their minds when they do this?

"Sure, I'll give you some pain medicine. But first let me c... on those ti...."

What ER doctor personally gives any medicine to their patients anyway? Looks suspicious to me! Why didn't he just order it and have the nurse administer it as we do 99.99% of the time?

I kind of feel sorry for the guy and I like to give all doctors the benefit of the doubt but oh well! Not cool!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No way that he did this. Makes no sense. If this is a false accusation I hope she has her wages garnished for the rest of her life for defamation.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
I can never understand how people can get so desperate as to rub one off in front of an unwilling person AT WORK. I mean WTF is going through their minds when they do this?

What ER doctor personally gives any medicine to their patients anyway? Looks suspicious to me! Why didn't he just order it and have the nurse administer it as we do 99.99% of the time?

I kind of feel sorry for the guy and I like to give all doctors the benefit of the doubt but oh well! Not cool!
You're aware that the entire article is basically just a retelling of her allegation without any corroboration and that while possible there aren't a lot of drugs that you can administer IM that heavily sedate a patient that are also short acting.

I once had a woman call in a complaint about me where she stated I removed her uterus while she was in the ER and she really wants it back.

Reactions: 19 users
I once had a woman call in a complaint about me where she stated I removed her uterus while she was in the ER and she really wants it back.

Well did you return it?!

You're aware that the entire article is basically just a retelling of her allegation without any corroboration and that while possible there aren't a lot of drugs that you can administer IM that heavily sedate a patient that are also short acting.

What I found odd is that if he rubbed one of with his back towards her how the hell did the semen get in her face and chest?

Last edited:
Anyone can accuse anyone else of doing something. This sounds like total nonsense

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that is the most discrediting bit to the article is Dr. Jagoda saying that Newman was his supervisor, when it is the other way around. Jagoda is the Chair of the dept of EM at Mt. Sinai. The whole story sounds implausible.

I am not saying he did it, I don't even know who he is. But it would not surprise me as even the nicest people have mental issues. But this is an open and closed case.

The police has her clothes and bed sheet. If its his semen, he goes to jail. If its not, she is crazy. I mean..... patients are crazy.

But seems easy to dispel. Either way the dude's reputation is trash.

Reactions: 4 users
I can't believe how reckless the paper was for going to press with this. The only confirmation of this story is the memory of a person who was under the influence of narcotics at the time. Destroying this guy's reputation. Even when this get's thrown out all this fodder will forever follow him with a google search. Probably is best not to add to it by discussing it on here.

One of the many reasons I like having scribes, built in chapperone. I never go anywhere without mine.

Innocent until proven guilty. I agree should be a pretty easy case to sort out, but it will still take years. I hope when it is sorted out someone will post here to confirm his guilt or declare his innocence. He deserves that.

Reactions: 7 users
One of the many reasons I like having scribes, built in chapperone. I never go anywhere without mine.

Seconded, love scribes. Furthermore the second I get a whiff that the patient is a young crazy female I make sure the nurse is in there with me as well.

I have met Dr. Newman, I have seen him lecture and spoke to him a couple of times. He seemed like a completely normal guy and I will be shocked if this is proven true. The story makes absolutely no sense and if debunked I hope he sues the paper and the woman for libel. God forbid that reporters do some fact checking before destroying a physician's career.

Other than the fact that the story makes no sense, running a large color photo of Dr. Newman with that headline is going to destroy his patient's trust. I can't imagine having to deal with that.

Reactions: 6 users
I think that is the most discrediting bit to the article is Dr. Jagoda saying that Newman was his supervisor, when it is the other way around. Jagoda is the Chair of the dept of EM at Mt. Sinai. The whole story sounds implausible.
Yeah, I was going to post that when I got a chance. Also, it is NOT "Andrew Jagoda" - his given name is "Andy Sam Jagoda". The Daily News failure is rife in that article.

Also, why would Dr. Jagoda be in the ED at 11pm? He is my mentor in EM (I could see him without an appointment right now - well, probably not RIGHT now), and, with all his admin (and it is daunting), if it was not daylight, he wasn't in the department, and that was 14 years ago.

You sound especially stupid here. Go away.

All I'm saying is the story sounds kind of odd. How could the semen reach her face from if he had her backs towards her?

At any rate, I don't understand why a physician would be personally administering narcotics to a patient. Dr. Jagoda and the nurse found her passed out shortly after Dr. Newman stepped out.

Like I said earlier, I certainly hope he is innocent. I would hate to be in that position if I am innocent.

Yeah, I was going to post that when I got a chance. Also, it is NOT "Andrew Jagoda" - his given name is "Andy Sam Jagoda". The Daily News failure is rife in that article.

Also, why would Dr. Jagoda be in the ED at 11pm? He is my mentor in EM (I could see him without an appointment right now - well, probably not RIGHT now), and, with all his admin (and it is daunting), if it was not daylight, he wasn't in the department, and that was 14 years ago.

Well, clearly he was there, your 14 year old experience notwithstanding. Peace.

Well, clearly he was there, your 14 year old experience notwithstanding. Peace.
You clearly weren't. And it's pretty easy for someone to look up names on a website to name them. I doubt the wrongly named Jagoda told a patient that he encouraged to call the police that Newman was his boss. Just saying.

You clearly weren't. And it's pretty easy for someone to look up names on a website to name them. I doubt the wrongly named Jagoda told a patient that he encouraged to call the police that Newman was his boss. Just saying.

We don't know the details. Let's wait and hope he is innocent and clears his name.

We don't know the details. Let's wait and hope he is innocent and clears his name.
I'm not saying they shouldn't investigate. And his history of being a great person shouldn't preclude investigation. But the portrait the Post is portraying isn't the same person many of us know.

Reactions: 2 users
To avoid being accused of things like this you do what? Always have a nurse in the room?

Do you job and cross your fingers that you don't run into a sociopath trying to set you up for a big settlement.

I mean, I am not saying that is what this alleged victim is doing to her alleged perpetrator, just saying this sounds really fishy and Dr. Newman deserves his day in court before the court of public opinion starts convicting him.

Otherwise, what is the point in living a paranoid life. The day I start worrying that my patients are there only to set me up for an extortion racket is the day I go and flip burgers for a living. The hell with it. There is no debtor's prison in this country.

All I'm saying is the story sounds kind of odd. How could the semen reach her face from if he had her backs towards her?

At any rate, I don't understand why a physician would be personally administering narcotics to a patient. Dr. Jagoda and the nurse found her passed out shortly after Dr. Newman stepped out.

Like I said earlier, I certainly hope he is innocent. I would hate to be in that position if I am innocent.
These two posts (along with earlier) are incongruous. In the first post, you are taking the story at face value, questioning what you take to be fact, without any guile. In the second, you are disregarding your own first statement, which makes you look untrustworthy. What that suggests is one of several things: either you have a personal angle to this story, or you are just a dishonest person, or you are trolling to an epic degree. Your "hope" that he is innocent is hollow and empty. You seem ready to convict the guy. Pro tip: if it was as cut and dried as you make it out to be, Manhattan Special Victims Division detectives would have taken him into custody forthwith, not just questioned him.

These two posts (along with earlier) are incongruous. In the first post, you are taking the story at face value, questioning what you take to be fact, without any guile. In the second, you are disregarding your own first statement, which makes you look untrustworthy. What that suggests is one of several things: either you have a personal angle to this story, or you are just a dishonest person, or you are trolling to an epic degree. Your "hope" that he is innocent is hollow and empty. You seem ready to convict the guy. Pro tip: if it was as cut and dried as you make it out to be, Manhattan Special Victims Division detectives would have taken him into custody forthwith, not just questioned him.

My first post was just a general reaction. From the beginning I have been saying that I give all doctors the benefit of the doubt and that I hope he is innocent. It seems like you are stuck in what you want to believe.

Further, it is you that has a personal interest in this story since it appears that you personally know the people involved.

Anyway, you are going to believe what you will. You took offense from a humorous (or humorless) post I made earlier because you know the people involved.

Clearly, I was rather casting doubt at how such a thing would even be physically possible but again, you will believe what you will.

Again, I hope that he is innocent for Dr. Newman's sake, his family, the patient, and our standing as physicians. Peace.

My first post was just a general reaction. From the beginning I have been saying that I give all doctors the benefit of the doubt and that I hope he is innocent. It seems like you are stuck in what you want to believe.

Further, it is you that has a personal interest in this story since it appears that you personally know the people involved.

Anyway, you are going to believe what you will. You took offense from a humorous (or humorless) post I made earlier because you know the people involved.

Clearly, I was rather casting doubt at how such a thing would even be physically possible but again, you will believe what you will.

Again, I hope that he is innocent for Dr. Newman's sake, his family, the patient, and our standing as physicians. Peace.
Humorless is correct. I don't know what is your real deal, but you write like an idealistic, uber-liberal, who takes the most liberal position available, throwing what you can at the wall, and seeing what sticks. That isn't funny.

Never met Dave Newman. Andy Jagoda is the only one I know. But, from that, that is why I can tell you that the article is poorly written, which makes me question all of the article. Unlike you, I don't take it at face value. "...how such a thing would even be physically possible" - it isn't. For you to question what is written, which is not logical, and try to put logic on it, is specious.

Humorless is correct. I don't know what is your real deal, but you write like an idealistic, uber-liberal, who takes the most liberal position available, throwing what you can at the wall, and seeing what sticks. That isn't funny.

Never met Dave Newman. Andy Jagoda is the only one I know. But, from that, that is why I can tell you that the article is poorly written, which makes me question all of the article. Unlike you, I don't take it at face value. "...how such a thing would even be physically possible" - it isn't. For you to question what is written, which is not logical, and try to put logic on it, is specious.

Fair enough. I was not trying to "put logic on it". That's the whole point of a joke.

If found innocent, he would probably have grounds for civil litigation against the newspaper for defamation of character, with material damages. I hope he wins it.

As has been said this should be relatively quickly resolved. If she does indeed have a "semen sample" then it shouldn't take the lab especially long to find out if it belongs to him.

delete

Last edited:
She claimed that she went to the bathroom and saw remnants of semen on her face and chest which she wiped off with a towel and kept, she also kept the sheet she said he wiped it off with. NYPD interviewed him and took a DNA sample today to compare so we will know if its true in a couple days. They aren't planning to charge him until the sample comes back. So one of them will be going to jail pretty soon.

She claimed that she went to the bathroom and saw remnants of semen on her face and chest which she wiped off with a towel and kept, she also kept the sheet she said he wiped it off with. NYPD interviewed him and took a DNA sample today to compare so we will know if its true in a couple days. They aren't planning to charge him until the sample comes back. So one of them will be going to jail pretty soon.
You think they'll throw this woman in prison? I have my doubts.

And how about the custody of evidence? The police using a sample which she SAYS she gathered from the E.D. Hardly a good chain of custody (or whatever the lawyers term call it).

At least most of my psychotic patients have also been crazy enough to make their accusations while other people were around.

Pt: "Did you see that. He just punched me!"
Nurse and 3 other standing in the hallway: "No, he didn't. We've all be standing here for the last 10 minutes. We were watching you argue with him in the hallway in front of us."

At the end of the day, if someone wants to make an accusation like that, you're really ****ed as long as papers are willing to print stuff like that without evidence.

To avoid being accused of things like this you do what? Always have a nurse in the room?

That's what I was wondering....but seems like he was just examining her shoulder. Not practical to have a nurse in the room for every little shoulder or belly exam. I like the scribe thing, though.

If found innocent, he would probably have grounds for civil litigation against the newspaper for defamation of character, with material damages. I hope he wins it.

His case against the paper would quickly be thrown out. There is nothing that the article says that isn't objective. "She said ___", "She alleged___" is all absolutely factual. Unless they made it up and attributed these quotes to someone who doesn't exist or had proof that she was lying and ignored it, they can't be held accountable. They never once say any of it is truth, only that she says it happened. Slimy, definitely. Libel or defamation of character? Would be an impossible suit to win vs the paper

Note: I don't know any of the people involved or have any inside information whatsoever.

I hope these accusations are false. God knows how a crazy patient can make a false/baseless accusation and ruin someone's life and career in no time.

That being said, to the people who think it's too crazy to happen. Crazy stuff like this does happen all the time, from people you wouldn't expect it from. Physicians have done this before and worse. Often times there's substance abuse involved and a complete lack of reasoning or rational to prevent it. If she has DNA proof, he's ----ed. If not, it'll go nowhere, though his reputation will still be harmed greatly.

Last edited:
Note: I don't know any of the people involved or have any inside information whatsoever.

I hope these accusations are false. God knows how a crazy patient can make a false/baseless accusation and ruin someone's life and career in no time.

That being said, to the people who think it's too crazy to happen. Crazy stuff like this does happen all the time, from people you wouldn't expect it from. Physicians have done this before and worse. Often times there's substance abuser involved and a complete lack of reasoning or rational to prevent it. If she has DNA proof, he's ----ed. If not, it'll go nowhere, though his reputation will still be harmed greatly.

There is a highly unlikely possibility that she does have his DNA and he's not guilty: He knew her before/had sexual relationship outside of work and she is framing/extorting him for some purpose. Not saying this is likely in the slightest but not completely impossible either.

There is a highly unlikely possibility that she does have his DNA and he's not guilty: He knew her before/had sexual relationship outside of work and she is framing/extorting him for some purpose. Not saying this is likely in the slightest but not completely impossible either.
I wouldn't be horribly surprised if she did have his Dna. It's not hard to obtain . But doubt it would be from semen. Hopefully they test what it is (salive or whatever) and not just the Dna. Knowing him and more importantly the crazy nonsensical story, it's obvious BS.

Jesus. What a nightmare. I feel terrible for him, his wife (also pretty well-known in the online EM world), and everyone else connected to this atrocity of a "news" piece and case, which I hope is dismissed as soon as possible. His voice is one we need in EM, and healthcare generally, and it sucks that his name is now going to be associated with this allegation.

If she has semen on a gown in a bag, like the news stories report, and the DNA matches, needless to say it's bad.

Speculation is fun and totally human nature but it serves no purpose :). Let the facts come out and than we can gossip like teenage girls!!

If she has DNA proof, he's ----ed. If not, it'll go nowhere, though his reputation will still be harmed greatly.

But, that's the horrible thing: how the media just loves to smear doctors and take them down. There should be a law to prevent such accusations from being publicized until they are proven in a court of law. Slander/libel should apply, since it really does affect this man's ability to earn a living and put food on the table for this family. I know a doctor who got taken down in a similar way--for a similar accusation--and even though he was never convicted of anything, his career forever took a hit. He now works in urgent cares in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.