David vs Golliath: Could use some opinions!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The_Trainer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-
New to the community. Applying to PT school has been a goal of mine for the past 5 years, and I finally did it.

My status so far is I've been accepted to 2 schools, and am having trouble making a decision:

I got into both Northwestern and University of Rhode Island. At first, I was way more attracted to Northwestern because of rankings and what seemed to be prestigious. However, I'm getting concerned:

Northwestern is about ~$38,000 per year, where as URI is only ~$28,000. 30k is a large difference in price for the programs. URI isn't ranked nearly as high as Northwestern, but its a good school and in the end i'm pretty sure ill be making the same exact amount once i get my DPT. In addition, i'm not crazy attracted to life as a researcher, which it seems like NU is geared towards.

It might just be my ego getting in the way, and the reaction of others when I tell them I got into Northwestern haha.. Any advice? It doesn't help that i only get 2 weeks to make up my mind for a program >.<

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was way more attracted to Northwestern because of rankings and what seemed to be prestigious

Northwestern is about ~$38,000 per year, where as URI is only ~$28,000. 30k is a large difference in price for the programs

:beat::beat::beat: for the love of god end the insanity!!!!! Lol...most people will tell you, like they've told hundreds before, go to the cheapest school you can, rankings don't matter, you will be a great PT no matter where you go to school.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with above, this has been discussed repeatedly on these forums just in the past few weeks, much less the past few years.

OP, you don't need to double post things between different forums either. It's against the rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. A prestigious PT school sounds good, but it won't make your student loan payments for you (and neither will the people who are so impressed to hear about the prestigious PT school). Congratulations on your acceptances!

I agree with above, URI is a really solid program that's probably just as hard to get into as NW (maybe more). Their avg accepted GPA is ~3.7 . I Interviewed there and liked what they had to offer as well. The broadening experience and paid clinicals are big pluses.

I appreciate the great feedback. It's so easy to get thrown into the flashing lights of "rankings". In the end it's about what you do with your degree that stands out, not where its from.

Sorry if this post was redundant, but it seems to be a huge topic that everyone and their mother applying to PT school should know.

Again, thanks for the input!

Reactions: 1 users
When I interviewed there the clinical director said that students get paid for part of their final clincal. I don't think they have it posted on their web-site for some reason though. They said they were trying to model MGHIH's paid clinical program.

When I interviewed there the clinical director said that students get paid for part of their final clincal. I don't think they have it posted on their web-site for some reason though. They said they were trying to model MGHIH's paid clinical program.

That's stupid. Just charge less tuition for third year.

Lol yeah that would work too... I think they just do it as a way to make the program sound more enticing

IIRC you don't have to go through with the paid clinical. It's just an option or something? ktachiba did you ever hear back from URI? I have until this Friday to respond and a part of me still has that program in my mind. But the snow...gah. I don't know if I can handle it, let alone trying to drive in it. Sunny socal has spoiled me. (Never driven in it)

Yeah you're probly right, the clinical is optional. I wasn't 100% clear about the explanation that she gave. Na man I haven't heard back yet.. I think I'm one of those people they will call at the last second when somebody declines their seat lol. I didn't interview well cuz I was overconfident. I didn't prepare for my LIU interview a month before (due to studying for midterms) and got accepted so I thought I could do it again (oops).

Yeah I was worried bout moving to the cold at first too but when we visited URI in January I didn't think it was that bad as long as you dress up in enough layers. I think I'll be able to handle winters and it will be a cool life experience. I also love to ski!!

What other options are u thinking about?

But yeah, even if I get accepted, I'm probly gonna turn it down for UNE. I really like UNE's program, and their faculty gave off better vibrations than URI's (both in person, and when looking at the website)