LOR dilemma... Could use some advice asap

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reesetee

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay... So I asked for a LOR from an employer who I have never worked with directly, but who know's me well enough for me to ask. If that makes sense. But he hasn't submitted it yet and told me he would by tonight. I'm applying early decision and I have two recommendations that should be strong ones and that meets the requirement (only need 2 LOR).

Should I tell the person never mind, and not risk accepting a potentially weaker letter? Or, should I give him to the deadline and just hope that it's good and not rushed?

I could ask him if I can read it before he submits it, if he ever gets around to it, but would that be unethical? Also, would it look bad if the requirement is only two LOR and all I submit is two? I really don't need anything weighing me down at this point. Thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same situation. The due date I gave him was the 9th, but he didn't submit anything. I think I'm going to email him today and just say "I'm writing to remind you that my letter of reference for my physical therapy graduate program is due next week. The deadline for me to turn in my application is August 15th. If I can provide any additional information to help you, please let me know. Thanks again for agreeing to write that for me." I hope it all works out for us both!

I would stick to the 2 strong letters you already have. Admissions may pick 2 out of 3 letters randomly if you submit 3 and they want 2 minimum.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same situation. The due date I gave him was the 9th, but he didn't submit anything. I think I'm going to email him today and just say "I'm writing to remind you that my letter of reference for my physical therapy graduate program is due next week. The deadline for me to turn in my application is August 15th. If I can provide any additional information to help you, please let me know. Thanks again for agreeing to write that for me." I hope it all works out for us both!

Yeah, I gave him until the 9th too and he had weeks to do it. So I just deleted his request form. I hope things work out in your favor

I would stick to the 2 strong letters you already have. Admissions may pick 2 out of 3 letters randomly if you submit 3 and they want 2 minimum.

I didn't know that may pick two of three at random... But I agree.. thanks for the advice

Overall schools rather receiving LORs from academics and PTs. Is that person a PT? Some schools even specifically ask not to send LORs from employers. They rather to communicate with academically competent people.

Overall schools rather receiving LORs from academics and PTs. Is that person a PT? Some schools even specifically ask not to send LORs from employers. They rather to communicate with academically competent people.

It was an employer. I can see how they would want that...

Reactions: 1 user