Davis second look

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hapkidochic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received any additional information regarding the Davis second look weekend (other than that email from Terri telling us the dates)?

Members don't see this ad.

nothing yet. thougn my email account was shut down for the past day or so. anyone gotten anything?

nope. haven't heard a thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey lets place some bets...kinda like a baby pool....

when they think terri will finally email us something about the 2nd look.

seeing how 2nd look is april 9-10.....

id say she sends something....ahh of course...

4/1 - april fools day. what better way to mess with us to see if that email is legit or not?

Okay, I'm in.

I'll go with 4/2 cuz that's 1 week prior to the event and cuz jlee already took the most fun date ;)

I'm gonna go with 4/1. That's when the committee should be meeting, so she won't have to worry about taking care of anything until the end of the day, leaving her to plan the event. :eek: quick question. Do any of you guys know how easy it is to land an on campus 1-bd apartment? those look pimp.

Originally posted by finnpipette
I'm gonna go with 4/1. That's when the committee should be meeting, so she won't have to worry about taking care of anything until the end of the day, leaving her to plan the event. :eek: quick question. Do any of you guys know how easy it is to land an on campus 1-bd apartment? those look pimp.

It's nearly impossible. I called about this last week and they already have hundreds of people on the waitlist and they turn over about 10 units a year. For Colleges at La Rue you had to have to apply by January. Actually, if you want a one-bedroom/studio of any sort off-campus now is the time to get on it. I was told by one property manager that they will all mostly be gone by the end of the month and this was confirmed by several past and present UCD students I know. It's a roug housing market in Davis, esp. for living alone. Larger apts and houses are easier to get.

doh. i wish they had sent out some kind of housing application or something. :(

anyone wanna roomie? quiet, reasonably clean korean male, 23 yrs, entertains occasional weekend guests...can stand the stench of korean food, kimchi, bean curd? :D

Any news on the 2nd look?

Oh, and just so you new-to-Davis people know, you should be looking for housing NOW. Also, tomorrow (April 1) is a BIG day for housing-hunting because King Properties (the largest property management company in Davis) puts out their listings for Fall rentals. I believe you can look this information up online this year. When I was an undergrad, people were literally waiting in line outside their office a 7am for this, so please get on it ASAP. I'm coming up this weekend to look at places, and hopefully sign a lease.

Some of the best places for medical students are South and West Davis. :)

-Harps

anyone wanna roomie? quiet, reasonably clean korean male, 23 yrs, entertains occasional weekend guests...can stand the stench of korean food, kimchi, bean curd? :D

haha rock on.
i might be a possibility.

living off campus doesnt seem to be a problem at all. if my car doesnt break down...prolly an apt an exit or 2 down the freeway would be very reasonable as well...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey harps, didn't you get accepted to UCI? I know you withdrew, but doesn't that belong in your sig of (cali) interviews/accepts? or is it just not good enough? :p

Davis housing is pretty hectic huh? Any more info us new-to-Davis students should know? Any hard to find websites that would be useful?

No prob. I was surprised at the cost of housing in Davis. ~$800 for a 1br/1bth. Wow, that's like palo alto. You can find 2bd/2bths for about $900. I think I'll opt for the roomie. Might go looking this Sunday or stick around the Sunday after revisit weekend. Any takers? can do a compatibility check on revisit weekend. :D

For all you guys new to Davis I'll explain why housing is such a crazy mess in Davis. The city has stopped building new homes/apartments for the most part in hopes of preventing the school from taking so many students, but the school refuses to be bullied so they keep accepting more students figuring that the city council will have to give in and build more housing eventually. So...there is not enough housing and that of course makes it expensive. However, because the bus system is so good and parking isn't too outrageous (though a bit expensive) you don't have to live too close to campus. In fact, some people live in Dixon because it's cheaper and only about 5 min away. Hope that helps some of you guys.

In fact, some people live in Dixon because it's cheaper and only about 5 min away. Hope that helps some of you guys. [/B]

If you live in Dixon, are there many places near campus where you can park and ride your bike onto campus?

For the medical campus, I'm not really sure. Almost everywhere on the UCD campus has bike racks sprinkled around. There are a bunch of parking lots around. On the undergrad campus, just a very short bike ride from the med campus across the street, there is a little used parking lot with lots of bike racks outside of the Life Sciences Addition. If you do plan to live in Dixon beware that it isn't the most exciting place, but actually has more restaurants than Davis. Also, lots of students in Davis find living in houses to be a better option, especially if it's on a bus line. hope that helps. I'd be happy to answer any questions about Davis since I went to undergrad there.

Originally posted by SharkFan3
For all you guys new to Davis I'll explain why housing is such a crazy mess in Davis. The city has stopped building new homes/apartments for the most part in hopes of preventing the school from taking so many students, but the school refuses to be bullied so they keep accepting more students figuring that the city council will have to give in and build more housing eventually. So...there is not enough housing and that of course makes it expensive. However, because the bus system is so good and parking isn't too outrageous (though a bit expensive) you don't have to live too close to campus. In fact, some people live in Dixon because it's cheaper and only about 5 min away. Hope that helps some of you guys.

Yeah, the lack of new buildings did create a problem, esp. the last few years. Luckily, it is getting a little better because they did build a couple of new complexes this year. One property manager told me that this year has been less crazy because of the new complexes reducing demand a bit. And with the proposed cuts for UC there will be about 5000 less new students at UCD next year. So that will also help. But it is still pretty insane and totally overpriced.

West Sac is another housing option that is fairly close by and is becoming a hotter place to live these days. Personally, I am planning to live near campus. I think it will make life easier the first year with adjusting to med school and all that.

Here's a couple more websites to add to the others.

Acadian (my current landlord... cannot say I highly recommend them though):

http://www.acadianmanagement.com/listing.cfm

Tandem:

http://www.tandemproperties.com

Good luck with the hunt. If I can be of help to any of you cuz I live here now let me know.

finn, thanks for posting the matchlist. It looks good to me... good to see that the majority matched in Cali and a significant # at Davis. And I was glad to see that Davis made the US News top 50. Exciting :)

:clap:

Now if we could just hear about when the 2nd look actually is.....

Does anyone know what the commute from Woodland is like?

It's like a 20 minute drive from Woodland to Davis. You do it on a state road, 113, and I've never seen that much traffic on it. You can usually drive like 65+ mph. But I have never done it at rush hour.... I can ask my friend who lives there and post later if no one else relies.

She responded quickly. Here's what she says about living in Woodland:

I can't really speak to what areas of woodland are nice, or not, sorry!

But I used to make it from northeast of Woodland (so, about the farthest
from UCD to still be considered Woodland) to my campus parking lot in 18
minutes. There is virtually NEVER traffic on the 113, even in "rush
hour."

There is bad fog in certain times of the year though.

And there are buses that run back and forth very often, too.

Hope this helps!

thanks for the help lonecoyote

:( You're breaking ma heart Mr. Reddly...I know the feeling oh so well...

maybe we can get 3 or 4 people together and rent a house. i'm starting to get nervous...when's the latest that you can reasonably expect to find housing near campus?...kind of waiting on ucsd. not sure i'd go even if i got in, but my parents are giving me heat about rankings. bleh. whatever.

if you want to live alone near campus you need to find the housing right now. my roomie and i got our current place really last minute (as the quarter was starting) this past fall since neither of us knew we'd be in davis before that. we got a 2-bedroom right near downtown. it's not the nicest place and i think it's a bit overpriced but the location is good. so stuff will open because some people will flake out on their leases over the summer. there will also be options to sublet someone's room over the summer and then take over their lease in the fall. i am not sure how hard it would be to find a larger house for 3-4 people though.

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
Hey harps, didn't you get accepted to UCI? I know you withdrew, but doesn't that belong in your sig of (cali) interviews/accepts? or is it just not good enough? :p

:laugh: Every school is good enough for me.... :)

I just changed my signature ;)
PPl have been asking me why I had changed my signature..well I am changing it back now... :)

Anyhow, I do not recommend ppl living in Dixon....definitely not a happenin' place...even in comparison to Davis. At least in Davis you can go to the Cantena, walk downtown, go to the grad....LIVE IN DAVIS...

Just my few cents!

-Harps

Also if you guys live in Dixon or Woodland...you'll have an extra 15-20 minute drive to the medical center.....
I am sure you guys prolly found out while interviewing that we're going to be introduced to clinics at UCDMC early on 1st year....

something to think about!

A group of grad. students across from my house live in a 5-bedroom house. Professional students do this as well...I believe some live off West Covell....close to Albertsons...you guys may wanna check that out.

Also, if a group of you guys are looking to rent houses....there are some in the Wildhorse area...(next to the golfcourse)

I willing to help you guys out with housing just tell me what to do :)

-Harps

maybe we can get 3 or 4 people together and rent a house. i'm starting to get nervous...when's the latest that you can reasonably expect to find housing near campus?...kind of waiting on ucsd. not sure i'd go even if i got in, but my parents are giving me heat about rankings. bleh. whatever.

haha same here. im thinking about davis housing at the same time seeing what happens with ucla...

by the way....

is harps the man or what?
those badass acceptances and helping us out in housing.
you get a drink from me if you ever cross my path man.

In the Davis overnight housing list, I noticed that it seemed like a large number of students did not live in Davis. Anyone know why?

Also Harps, how about putting this in your sig:
USC,UC(all),Stanford
or if you want to tell it how it is,
USC,UC(every single F-ing one of them :p),Stanford
:laugh:
Kudos to you BTW!

From what I understand there are a number of students who are married/engaged/committed and end up buying a house. Real estate in Davis is hella expensive... like nearly $300,000 for a decent 2/2 condo. So I think a lot of people try to buy in Sac or West Sac cuz it is cheaper and you get more for your money.

well i lost....no notification of 2nd look on 4/1.

all the 4/2 people are still in the running...

lol. Seriously, when is terri gonna send the info :laugh:

FRIDAY April 9, 2004

11:30 - 12:00
Arrive/Reg: Marriott Courtyard Ballroom
4422 Y Street
Sacramento, CA 95817
(916) 455-6800

12:00
LUNCH Marriott Courtyard Ballroom

1:00
Welcome: Amerish Bera, MD
Asst. Dean of Admissions

1:15
Curriculum/Future of UCD School of Medicine
Michael Wilkes, MD/PhD
Assoc. Vice Dean of Medical Educaqtion

1:30
Humanities/Bioethics
Faith Fitzgerald, MD
Asst. Dean Humanities and Bioethics

1:45 BREAK

2:00 Student Panel

3:00 UCDMC Tour

6:00
Dinner: Steve?s Pizza
314 ?F? Street
Davis, CA 95616
(530) 758-2800

SATURDAY April 10, 2004

7:30 - 8:30 am
Continental Breakfast
Marriott Courtyard

8:30
Tour Student-Run Clinics
Clinica Tepati, Imani, Bayanihan or the Paul Hom Asian
Clinic

sweet....

hey does that mean they pay for a hotel room for us???

i emailed terri to ask her about whether or not we need to arrange/pay for our own hotel room. I'll let you know when she writes me back.

Originally posted by hapkidochic
i emailed terri to ask her about whether or not we need to arrange/pay for our own hotel room. I'll let you know when she writes me back.

no way in hell i can afford a hotel room. i rather go to a friends place an hour or two away and commute.

Have fun at the re-visit weekend, guys. I know its going to be a lot of fun. Dr. Fitzgerald is an AWESOME lecturer...too bad I won't be there, as I'll be in New Orleans for a conference. Hopefully I'll meet you guys soon!

4/2, score! i was right :)

glad to finally have the info.... should be a fun day. it'll be cool to meet you all there.

If we're having breakfast at the marriot, i'm assuming that they're putting us up there for the night...maybe there's a motel 6 across the street :D . so sweet...

If we're having breakfast at the marriot, i'm assuming that they're putting us up there for the night...maybe there's a motel 6 across the street :D . so sweet...

haha it would have been nice if ANYONE from davis right now could tell us something about this haha.

i hope they are putting us up for the night. that would be sweet! its nice to be treated like a grad student thats being recruited and taken care of ;).

Hey jlee,
I think its safe to say they will take care of it. When I interviewed for Grad school (basically a second look weekend), they all paid for an overnight hotel... Even Davis.

Don't worry. You'll have fun I'm sure.
Besides, they aren't going to risk you feeling bad and turning them down over a $50-100 hotel bill.

I just bought my plane tickets! I'll see y'all Friday (but I can't be there Sat).

Yummmy!! Steve's Pizza!! I hope they arranged for a shuttle to Davis.

I was just up in Davis this weekend to find a place to live. I applied for (and should get) a 2 bedroom in South Davis for $750/mo. Sweet deal, no? The best part is, they allow pets! I should have the place to myself Fall quarter, so if anyone decides on Davis last minute and needs to find someplace to stay temporarily while they make other arrangements, pm me!

Do you guys think it's too late to RSVP? I had some really important stuff going on this weekend that I was able to work around (finally!)

Plus, did anyone get word if they're paying for the stay?

Thanks in advance!

Hey jlee,
I think its safe to say they will take care of it. When I interviewed for Grad school (basically a second look weekend), they all paid for an overnight hotel... Even Davis.

Don't worry. You'll have fun I'm sure.
Besides, they aren't going to risk you feeling bad and turning them down over a $50-100 hotel bill.

but then thats grad school. they do everything for grad students haha. we dont get that kind of cool treatment. but if they did, i would have to say that davis has the coolest 2nd look out of any school out there. since most of the other places they prolly set you up with students.