DC Residency Programs (Howard and Washington Hospital)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crhoody12

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the residency programs in DC? Specifically the Howard University (currently PMS-24...will it go PMS36 by the time I enter in 2012)? and Washington Hospital Center program? I know that INOVA is well regarded and is talked about a good amount on here (I think one of you is currently there), but I don't hear a lot about the other two programs.

I'm interested in heading down to the DC area for residency and am thinking in April to visit all 3 in a long weekend but was looking for any insight before I do.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone comment on the residency programs in DC? Specifically the Howard University (currently PMS-24...will it go PMS36 by the time I enter in 2012)? and Washington Hospital Center program? I know that INOVA is well regarded and is talked about a good amount on here (I think one of you is currently there), but I don't hear a lot about the other two programs.

I'm interested in heading down to the DC area for residency and am thinking in April to visit all 3 in a long weekend but was looking for any insight before I do.

Thanks

I am finishing at Inova in June, so obviously I think it is the best.
We get together with the other programs about 4 times a year for Dr. Steinbergs quarterly diabetic limb salvage dinner/presentations. We all bring cases and discuss what was done/what should have ben done.

We also work with one of the 2nd year residents from WHC when we do our g-town rotation as 3rd years.

Howard has on resident per year. Just my opinion, but I would not go to any program that only takes one resident per year if you can avoid it. My 11 co-residents and I discuss all the time how we often learn the most just sitting and discussing amunst ourselves about different cases, patients and articles.

WHC has lots of penetrating truama, DFU and infx, but from what I understand not as much elective surgery. All programs you get out of it what you put into it. If you are interested i highly recommend you visit the programs. WHC does many away rotations and I do not think that the clerks get to visit these parts of the program. Ask lots of questions about these rotations.

PM me if you have more specific questions.

Obviously I can tell you lots more about Inova and why it is better.:D