Hospital Employment Inquiry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shiyuan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I may be interviewing soon for a hospital-based gig (full time). Quick synopsis:

- 25 bed Critical access hospital. Only 2 other specialty docs - both gen surg. Otherwise mostly ARNP family med types with 2-3 PCP MDs.

- Previously had a full-time surgical DPM. When I inquired about that doc’s case deversity, the CEO told me mostly just amputations.

- They now have a NON-SURGICAL DPM covering their podiatry clinic part-time (that DPM’s primary office 1 hr away at another office in the hospital’s network).

In terms of “selling myself” for the job... outside of the obvious that I am surgical (forefoot + some rearfoot) and the current guy is not, any other talking points I should bring up in terms of RVU generation, scope, etc.?

Appreciate y’all’s insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I think the "perfect" podiatrist in a hospital system is someone who is competent in all facets of surgery of the foot and ankle but when asked is most likely doing forefoot to ankle recon as ortho trauma and general ortho is not interested in it. Podiatrists should be doing wound care as this is something we excel at. Podiatrists should be doing limb salvage work (diabetic offloading surgeries, ex-fix and charcot). There will always be a need for diabetic limb salvage and wound care work. Always. Podiatrists really should be focusing less on TARs as only a handful of DPMs will be able to actually use this training. But the diabetic limb salvage and wound care will always be available and hospitals will need someone to do it. It is a good living and profitable from a wRVU standpoint as wel

Well put, but scrubbing TARs, trauma, hell anything is more sexy than limb salvage cases. No residents gonna care to cover pus cases unless there are no other cases to cover. And once they graduate all of a sudden limb salvage is where it’s at to make money? It’s so backwards

Reactions: 2 users
Well put, but scrubbing TARs, trauma, hell anything is more sexy than limb salvage cases. No residents gonna care to cover pus cases unless there are no other cases to cover. And once they graduate all of a sudden limb salvage is where it’s at to make money? It’s so backwards

Pus is a small part of limb salvage. I consider wound care, pus, amps, Charcot/ ex fix/ nails, STSG, rotational skin plasty, muscle flaps, diabetic offloading surgery all part of limb salvage.

So yeah if you are doing a lot of the above you will rack up a ton of RVUs.

Reactions: 4 users