DC residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TigerlilyDC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To any DC residents on this board, have you considered moving to VA or MD in order to get preferred consideration?

I had a meeting with the admissions office at VCU yesterday and they made it clear that they give preferential treatment to VA residents. To be honest, I'm not positive that I want to go to school in VA, but I will likely apply to many schools all over the country and may as well include the VA schools. I'm just wondering if it's worth moving a couple miles away to at least have a leg up in one state versus having zero benefit anywhere as a DC resident.

On the downside, I LOVE LOVE LOVE where I live and pay very little rent, comparatively.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UMD also gives preference to instate students. The website says something like 80%instate 20%OOS.

I live in MD and work in DC, used to live in Glover Park. I love the city but one of the reasons we moved back to MD, or at least one of the reasons I went along with my wife's desire to move back, was that I knew I'd have a much better shot at UMD.

I'd be curious to know if GW or Georgetown give unofficial preference to DC residents. Total speculation: probably an interesting conversation starter at the interview and nothing else.