prsndwg

7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi,

I am really interested in knowing more about business and use it to succeed in my career. Can you explain to me what can I use the DDS MBA for beside practicing? where/how can I get started? I know i am supposed to apply to both schools. but when? what about taking gmat? is it really required? I dont have much background of business, what business classes should I look into?

inputs are appreciated,

Thanks

browncrack

Flood Damage
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
Status
Dental Student
An MBA is toilet paper without work experience. Save your energy on mba programs and study harder in dental school. If you need to ask what good an MBA is, you already know the answer.

OP
prsndwg

prsndwg

7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
An MBA is toilet paper without work experience. Save your energy on mba programs and study harder in dental school. If you need to ask what good an MBA is, you already know the answer.
now I wonder if I get that so called toilet paper and add experience to it, what could I do with it?

sonofapizzaman

10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2007
Status
Dental Student
What is it that you want to do with it? You don't have business experience, so you will likely have a hard time getting into an MBA program in the first place. Sure it might help you run a practice a little bit better, but I think there are cheaper and faster ways to do that.

I have a marketing degree and thought about going back to school for an MBA so that I could use that piece of paper to climb the corporate ladder. It's really all that I can see it being good for. I soon realized I hated corporate america which is partly why I went back to school for dentistry.

Take some finance/marketing/management classes if you can. They will open your eyes to the operation of a business, which can only help. I don't see any reason to go for and MBA. Any counter-opinions?

browncrack

Flood Damage
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
Status
Dental Student
now I wonder if I get that so called toilet paper and add experience to it, what could I do with it?
You don't need the MBA to run a dental practice. You need an MBA to be an investment banker or for some jobs on Wall Street. If you are really convinced you need an MBA for some reason, get the work experience first and then take an executive MBA program.

NonTradHopeful

7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
You don't need the MBA to run a dental practice. You need an MBA to be an investment banker or for some jobs on Wall Street. If you are really convinced you need an MBA for some reason, get the work experience first and then take an executive MBA program.
As an MBA (who went to a top-ten b-school), I think I can offer some real perspective on this. The person quoted above is absolutely right. The business knowledge that you need in order to practice dentistry in a private practice setting will not be taught to you in business school. The majority MBA curriculum is catered toward people who want to work for large multi-million dollar corporations, not for people who want to work in small businesses (which is what a dental practice would be). An MBA is a very useful tool (contrary to what "Mr. Toilet Paper" was saying above), but it is only useful if you apply it to the right setting...and a dental practice is not the right setting for an MBA.

You will get ten times more useful information if you attend a few practice management courses and seminars, than if you went and got your MBA.

If, however, your plan is to work for insurance companies or a major corporation that is focused on providing dental machinery, products, sales of dental equipment, etc...then an MBA will be valuable. If you just want to practice dentistry and see patients, I'm not sure an MBA will give you the most bang for the buck when it comes to practice managment. There are more efficient ways to gain small business practice management information...

If you still plan to do an MBA, many big business schools have a part-time MBA program (with evening classes) that you can enroll in. Go take your GMAT, apply to these schools, and take your classes.

FYI, I'll be quitting my corporate job soon in order to go back to school and start fresh with pre-dental pre-reqs. Feel free to PM if you have questions.

Jun 11, 2009
NY
Status
Dental Student
Get into Columbia and all your problems are solved, they offer many combined degrees and one of them is MBA. It will add one year to your overall education at Dental School. You will take that year after finishing first two years of Dental.

reapply2007

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2006
Status
Dental Student
Why not just get the MBA and get work with the MBA? Probably a lot easier to get an MBA than a DDS/DMD based on my casual observation.

Jun 11, 2009
NY
Status
Dental Student
the OP wants to get both, DDS and MBA if i understand correctly, and in that case Columbia would be a solution for him.

Tommy43087

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Status
Dentist
the OP wants to get both, DDS and MBA if i understand correctly, and in that case Columbia would be a solution for him.
A LOT of dental schools offer dual programs. Almost all d-schools that have a business school at the same university offer it...

jay47

Think Positively!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2007
Status
Dentist
Get into Columbia and all your problems are solved, they offer many combined degrees and one of them is MBA. It will add one year to your overall education at Dental School. You will take that year after finishing first two years of Dental.
And about another $100,000 to your costs (double that if you count income from time lost in private practice). I think it would be better to just go get the job personally. Experience is the best teacher.

gryffindor

15+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
Dentist
If you want to learn about business to help you in your dental career, don't do an MBA. It will be a serious waste of time and money. Go to practice management courses specifically for dentists (there are lots of these) and read books or take courses specifically for small business owners. Your library has plenty of books on how to run a small business. These books are much easier to read than dental texts and a welcome break to reading an entire chapter devoted to the histology of the PDL.

OP
prsndwg

prsndwg

7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Thank you all for your great hints and ideas.

I am not sure why? but almost all of you dont agree with MBA, even the one that have one. When I talked to couple of dentists, health advisor and couple other people, they said all said its all possible without an MBA. they all said, more knowledge you, you ll get there soon. I want to do MBA with a focus in management. I am thinking about bigger ideas than a simple office or two. I dont have any thoughts as of now, but I love the whole business mentality.
I think I am going to look around more and most importantly take couple of business classes to see where I am standing in regards to business classes and whether I like to go through the whole programs and have the loan and extra year.

I would like to hear more about what you people think about my thoughts.
I could always do it after DDS if I didnt get into speciallty or something!