Dds/md?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chypes

Caffine Addict
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the general means of pursueing a DDS/MD is? Particularly for the purpose of doing facial plastics work. I havent been able to find much on this but it seems to make sense....dentists know way more about the face\facial anatomy than MDs, but MDs are better on the rest of the body (although my dad, a dentist, might argue not much more!).

Thanks,

Oh, and is it possible to be admitted into dental school after just 3 years of undergrad....ie dont complete the bachelors.....heard that was the way it used to be.....

Members don't see this ad.

the only school i am aware of that has such a department involving synthesis of orofacial prosthetics is temple. however, many schools offer a post-doc degree progam in oral and maxillofacial surgery that (i believe) results in a MD degree. this progam deals with head and neck surgery, orthoganthic, tmj, etc... but also with reconstructive surgery you seem to be interested in.
although, the only progam i know of that actually deals with the process of making the plastic (or of whatever material) prosthetics is at temple.
you get into these progams the same way you would any post-doc speciality. i dont know of any schools that offer a progam that automatically places you into a speciality of offers a joint dds/md degree, but that doesnt mean such a progam doesn't exist.

and yes, you can apply after 3 years and no bac. degree.

i take it that you are talking about the dds/md program for oral and maxillofacial surgery. it's the only dds/md recognized by the ADA. first, enter and complete dental school (it could be a dmd or dds). then, you have to apply and match into an OMFS specialty residency that specifically offers that degree. the dual degree dds/md residencies usually last 6 years past dental school. OMFS residencies that do not offer the MD are more numerous and only last 4 years post graduation. as for the program itself, you start by being dumped into the second year of med school. you then finish med school, pass your boards, and do both surgical and OMFS residencies. sounds like fun, huh? if there is an upside, whereas most 4 year OMFS programs charge tuition, the 6 year dual degree programs usually pay residents on the PGY scale for the duration of the dual degree residency. that amounts to between $35 and $50K a year, with no tuition. in my research, most dual degree programs only accept one resident per year.

i worked for an OMFS with a dual degree. he made around 500K per year. but when asked, he would not do it all over again if given the choice. he went through ALL of dental school, 3 years of med school, a surgical residency, and the OMFS residency, just to work from the neck up. he didnt get done with school until he was nearly 35. in retrospect, he would have been more satisfied had he just been a general dentist, or just a general physician. but not both. of course, if sure that not all of the OMFS's would agree.

4 or 6 year program is personal choice, but even at 4 years it's still longer than all of the other ADA recognized specialties.

as for dental school after 3 years and without a bachelors, many schools still allow this. however, they expect non bachelors applicants to be of a very high caliber. some schools would require you to finish the bachelors degree while in dental school. if you have good stats and you dont mind spending the money to apply, give it a shot. generally, the standpoint will vary from school to school.

Thanks for the replies!

Wow...thats a long road to go....

Surprised about that salary.....that really sucks....we have guys at home making at least that just running a general oral surgery office (MD/phd still....but nothing fancy)....ya know like removing wisdom teeth under general anesthesia in office....that sort of thing.....lemme think...the oral surgeon that i know has 2 vipers, a boat, a mercedes, a house in washington, and always wares a rolex.......but thats not really why im interested....

Anyway...it sounds really interesting as a field.....i guess i think of it as more like a plastic (reconstructive) surgeon than like a dentist....

I never knew about the thing about going after 3 years of ugrad until my father sugested that I consider a DDS instead of graduating a year early and going to med school.....

One more question if you dont mind....are there still 3 year schools out there?.....i know a lot of schools used to let you take a heavier course load and go summers to graduate in 3 years with your DDS......??

thanks again!