dds/phd with oms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ems5184

Denist (future)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about possibly doing a DDS/DMD/PhD program. However, since I want to go into oral surgery, do you think the extra 4 yrs for the PhD are worth the time? I already have about 2 years of research experience under my belt as an undergrad (and I think some of my research could go towards PhD work if I decide to do it), and my PI offered to have me as a grad student if I can get into the dental school here (at UMich). I'm kinda caught in between on this one, and would appreciate some feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

ems5184 said:
I have been thinking about possibly doing a DDS/DMD/PhD program. However, since I want to go into oral surgery, do you think the extra 4 yrs for the PhD are worth the time? I already have about 2 years of research experience under my belt as an undergrad (and I think some of my research could go towards PhD work if I decide to do it), and my PI offered to have me as a grad student if I can get into the dental school here (at UMich). I'm kinda caught in between on this one, and would appreciate some feedback.

In all seriousness, if you love that research that much, I would say go for it. I have never heard of triple degrees , but it sounds great!!

I say go for it--research is worth all of the time in the world

It's not a triple degree... it's either DDS/PhD, or DMD/PhD. Depending which dental school you attended, you can only end-up with either DDS or DMD. Unless the OP ment DDS/MD/PhD, or DMD/MD/PhD, which can be done.... but you are looking around 10+ years in all - depending on the specialty and researches needed.

Getting the PhD through OMS will be DDS/DMD (4 years) + OMS only (5 years) or OMS with MD (6 years) + PhD (3+ years) = 12-13+ years. You might want to find out more on this, I am assuming that would be the case.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would concentrate first on the DDS program, while staying involved in non-degree research. In my opinion, it is much more practical to combine PhD research with specialty training after you've finished the predoctoral curriculum.

enlighten me please, but what's the difference between DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery) and DMD (Doctor of Dental Medicine)? :confused:

ems5184 said:

i'm in the same shoes too. haven't decided whether i should pursue one degree as DDS, or two degrees as DDS/PhD. i'm also interested in going dental specialty too. so it's a matter of choosing DDS(4 yrs) + MS (2 yrs), or DDS/PhD (7-8 yrs) + MS (2 yrs).

at this point though, i'm leaning towards DDS or DMD.. i kinda agree with Sam Spade.. if you're worried about spending extra 3-4 years in school (since you're thinking about going into oral surgery), i'd go for one for now, b/c you can add the other (PhD) whenever - even after graduation.. but like dave613 said, if you have a passion for research, i'd definitely go for it.

i was thinking perhaps DDS/PhD students would have a different curriculum. could they have less clinical training? i am not sure.. any inputs on this? .. thanks.

i know of a dds/md/phd, aka "triple crown." oral maxillofacial surgery especially enables integration of 3 degrees bc the mouth is such a tricky area: accidents mess up the teeth, bringing in the dentist, but they also mess up the jaw, bringing in the oral surgeon AND the plastic surgeon, and the surgery interferes with the anasthesiologist's territory - - the mouth and open airway. these conflicts make it hard to assign the surgery to a dept. with the triple degree, youll be ready for anything, and wth the phd you can advance what is known even further w/research. the schooling sounds like a long haul, but if you're interested in all three, go for it. youll bring smiles all around.