De-binding FA 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aquaman29

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the binding off First Aide?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Its not a bad idea to unbind FA. I had Office Max three hole punch and put it in a 3 ring binder. It works well for me, I can just take what ever parts of FA i want out which is helpful. For example, taking it to class and taking notes based on what profs say.

I also had Goljan Path unbound and then spiral bound it. its just easier to use that way.

The pages stability depends on your use. I use the FA and goljan alot and im noticing the fronts and back pages are getting a bit weak. I may need some reinforcement for those.

I would definitely get your books unbinded, fo sho.

Sure did. Kinkos hooked me up.

Yeah, Kinko's did it for 6.93 plus tax.

Mine says first aid 2009 on it and it is still in tip top shape if you catch my drift. :D

If you didn't catch my drift, mine has been used in a binder for 2 years.

/condescending tone

Members don't see this ad :)
I got mine spiral bound at my school's media center for $2. The margins are definitely big enough.

I unbound it on my own. did it for goljian too, and love that I can shift some of the chapters around in the order I like. Plus, can add loose leaf which is nice for when adding notes.. love it :)

don't the pages rip in a binder? i want to unbind mine but i also don't want the pages to rip

don't the pages rip in a binder? i want to unbind mine but i also don't want the pages to rip

My pages ripped a little bit but the reason for it was when the guy at kinko's hole punched my book, he left a bigger margin in the middle and the pages rub against each other and get caught. It can be fixed though by buying a larger binder.

I would suggest when you get it unbound and hole punched, to advise the person how to hole punch it. I thought it would be common sense but a lot of my words are cut out because of the larger middle margin.

I tore mine and hole punched them. The first page did tear at the holes but most of them were ok. I like it.

You can put hole re-enforcements on the ones that tear. I like it because I can add pages from other sources and its all there.

Besides, It felt great while I pulled it apart! :laugh:

Yeah, some of them do if you tug too hard. When they do rip, I just tape the ripped edges together. A bit of a nuisance, but still like the arrangement I have with the binder...

I bought the permanent reinforcement labels from Walmart. They look like a donut ring. Got a pack of 924 for a couple bucks. They help for the most part.

As I'm working through FA with DIT handouts or whatever else, whenever I see a page I will add some page reinforcements to it. I don't do all 3 holes or both sides all the time. I just throw them on as a preemptive strike against page tearing. It would be painful to do it all in one sitting, but not as bad as you gradually do a few here and there. Builds up real fast.

You can put hole re-enforcements on the ones that tear.

This is key advice. I didn't like having FA unbound and in a binder. It was a pain to flip between pages and they ripped a lot. I only inserted about 10 pages in to FA so that wasn't as big of a deal to me as being able to write in the margins.

I probably wouldn't do it again.

This is key advice. I didn't like having FA unbound and in a binder. It was a pain to flip between pages and they ripped a lot. I only inserted about 10 pages in to FA so that wasn't as big of a deal to me as being able to write in the margins.

I probably wouldn't do it again.

I like it because it is keeping me more organized. I do agree it is a pain to flip quickly through stuff. Certain topics that are mentioned to be very high yield on DIT or that I have difficulty grasping I tend to print out or draw something nice and insert it in. At the end of the basic pharmacology section I have a bunch of practice questions with explanations to go through and solidify a bit.

Lots of stupid things like that. I also have my 2010 version still bound. That is kind of my practice run one lately because I scribble tons of worthless crap down. I will probably transfer the few useful things over as I go.