DEA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piebaldi

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hi all sorry if i am posting in the wrong forum but not sure where else to post it - I had to call the DEA to inquire about working in multiple states, they were not very helpful.
Anyways I am working in two different states - fellowship as well as covering call for my group in a different state on certain weekends.
I was told by the DEA person that I need two DEAs with separate numbers? Is that correct? I was under the impression that one DEA sufficed.

Any thoughts? Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all sorry if i am posting in the wrong forum but not sure where else to post it - I had to call the DEA to inquire about working in multiple states, they were not very helpful.
Anyways I am working in two different states - fellowship as well as covering call for my group in a different state on certain weekends.
I was told by the DEA person that I need two DEAs with separate numbers? Is that correct? I was under the impression that one DEA sufficed.

Any thoughts? Thanks guys.
Yes that is correct...if you are working simultaneously in 2 different states you need a DEA in each state.
If you work in one state and then move to another state, then you can move the DEA to the next state.

I work locums so I have 2 , one is parked in my home state and the other I use for my assignments.

Yes that is correct...if you are working simultaneously in 2 different states you need a DEA in each state.
If you work in one state and then move to another state, then you can move the DEA to the next state.

I work locums so I have 2 , one is parked in my home state and the other I use for my assignments.

Ok, thank you. I assume you had to pay two fees then?

DEA is federal, but some (all?) states have their own controlled substances license. Do you mean you need a controlled substances license in each state or do you legit need two DEA licenses? The latter seems so redundant to me, especially if the former is required too.

DEA is federal, but some (all?) states have their own controlled substances license. Do you mean you need a controlled substances license in each state or do you legit need two DEA licenses? The latter seems so redundant to me, especially if the former is required too.

Yes exactly - i thought we only needed one DEA since it is federal.

DEA is federal but is valid only in one state. If you work in multiple states, you must maintain multiple DEA numbers and pay full fees for each of them (unless one of them is working for the government and is fee waived).

If you move states, your same number can follow you - but is not valid in your original state any longer.

Reactions: 3 users

I don't want to hijack this thread, but if the OP has an answer I thought I'd ask here, since this is my question.

I'm moving from one state to another the end of June, and am wondering how fast the DEA would transfer. I will only have about 10 days between ending my work in one state and starting work in the other state. So I'm wondering if that is enough time to do a state transfer, or if I should just pay for a 2nd DEA. I think transferring would make a lot more sense financially for me, since I will still have 1.5 year left before having to renew my current DEA and that's a lot of money to forgo to get a 2nd one. But on the other hand, I don't want to make a bad impression on my new workplace if I'm not ready to start with an active DEA on day 1. Just thought I'd ask, as I'm sure others may have been in this situation (such as moving states with a short gap in between residency and fellowship etc).

I don't want to hijack this thread, but if the OP has an answer I thought I'd ask here, since this is my question.

I'm moving from one state to another the end of June, and am wondering how fast the DEA would transfer. I will only have about 10 days between ending my work in one state and starting work in the other state. So I'm wondering if that is enough time to do a state transfer, or if I should just pay for a 2nd DEA. I think transferring would make a lot more sense financially for me, since I will still have 1.5 year left before having to renew my current DEA and that's a lot of money to forgo to get a 2nd one. But on the other hand, I don't want to make a bad impression on my new workplace if I'm not ready to start with an active DEA on day 1. Just thought I'd ask, as I'm sure others may have been in this situation (such as moving states with a short gap in between residency and fellowship etc).
It'll transfer pretty quickly, and if you start in the new place and it hasn't yet you can still use it generally speaking.

Reactions: 1 user

It transfers in ~48 hours. The DEA is super duper flexible relative to state licensing. I've had it transfer as soon as the next day.

Reactions: 1 users
It transfers in ~48 hours. The DEA is super duper flexible relative to state licensing. I've had it transfer as soon as the next day.

The person from the DEA today was super unhelpful and kept calling me by my first name which annoyed me. She also kept insisting that I was not seeing certain things on the page (I kept telling her that I couldn't submit the changes because the page kept asking me for info I didn't have) and the woman kept telling me - no you are not! lol. Anyways she told me it can take 4-6 weeks. Then I told her look I am working between two states, and I have to work out of state this weekend so I will need it - I was told that given that I should change it back because "it could change at any moment" Which confused me with the whole thing about taking "4-6 weeks" - so I am confused as to whether it takes minimal time vs 4-6 weeks.

Last time I applied for it, it took like a day so I am all sorts of confused.

The person from the DEA today was super unhelpful and kept calling me by my first name which annoyed me. She also kept insisting that I was not seeing certain things on the page (I kept telling her that I couldn't submit the changes because the page kept asking me for info I didn't have) and the woman kept telling me - no you are not! lol. Anyways she told me it can take 4-6 weeks. Then I told her look I am working between two states, and I have to work out of state this weekend so I will need it - I was told that given that I should change it back because "it could change at any moment" Which confused me with the whole thing about taking "4-6 weeks" - so I am confused as to whether it takes minimal time vs 4-6 weeks.

Last time I applied for it, it took like a day so I am all sorts of confused.

When I transferred my DEA at the start of fellowship, the turnaround time was days. Just submit the application right after you finish your clinical shift in your old state and it should be ready to go when you start fellowship in your new state.

And yes, if you legit work in two states, you need two DEA numbers. Makes for living in border cities so much fun.

Reactions: 1 user
All of these responses are really helpful. I'll go ahead and submit my DEA application on my last day of my current program. Thank you!

Also relevant to me (and similarly, didn't want to create another new thread for a small tangential concern) - can someone provide a link of how to transfer your DEA to another state? Googling only gives links on how to manage your DEA as a locums tenens (which is not relevant to me, transferring it from my residency state to my eventual first job state for the foreseeable future)

Also relevant to me (and similarly, didn't want to create another new thread for a small tangential concern) - can someone provide a link of how to transfer your DEA to another state? Googling only gives links on how to manage your DEA as a locums tenens (which is not relevant to me, transferring it from my residency state to my eventual first job state for the foreseeable future)
You go to the DEA website and there is a link for editing/changes...to log in you will need to know the issue and expiration dates for your DEA.

Reactions: 1 users
You just need to change the address. I think you already need to be licensed in the new state. It's pretty painless.

Reactions: 2 users
You just need to change the address. I think you already need to be licensed in the new state. It's pretty painless.

I liked this post but actually didn't mean to like it - the woman from DEA said that any change takes 4-6 weeks bc it is taken as a new DEA application.

I liked this post but actually didn't mean to like it - the woman from DEA said that any change takes 4-6 weeks bc it is taken as a new DEA application.
Yes, the party line is 4-6 weeks.

I've done this a few times, the longest I've ever had it take is 3 business days.

One time it was done the same day.

@rokshana works doing locums - she does it even more often.