dead meat from the mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MW

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help! I'm trying to decide what to do with the rest of my life! I've taken the mcat twice now, with awful results. 10.6.6.S (prepped with Kaplan) and 8.6.7.Q (prepped with Princeton Review). I have a 3.8 undergrad science gpa (3.1 overall) and a 4.0 graduate science gpa. I have no clue as to why I have done so crappy on the mcat, but can ace the sciences in school. So now I figure to have 3 options:
1. Forget the whole thing and just get on with life doing something else, as med school does not appear to be "in the cards."
2. Forget about applying this year and maybe apply sometime in the future with another go at the mcat.
3. Take the mcat for the third time in August (just got the second scores yesterday and am still in shock).
Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Take the MCAT again. Concentrate on practice tests, maybe you are trying to hard to memorize things rather than conceptualize them. I took the MCAT 3 times before applying (got in on my first try), and took Kaplan all 3 tries. You have the grades, you just need to conquer this test. Think of it this way, you only have one test keeping you out of med school, the MCAT. If you can get your scores up to a 24 total (hopefully with no scores below 8), you might have a fighting chance at getting into a DO school. MD schools require scores closer to 30.

Good Luck,

EDGAR

MW,

My guess is that if you are making the gpa that you indicate, you are probably smart enough, but you are likely not studying effectively. Students tend to sort out with either a linear or integrative learning style and the reason that linear studying is ineffective for multiple choice exams is explained on-line at http://www.dce.ttu.edu/elpubs/ch02.htm . Courses like Princeton and Kaplan can be highly effective if they are studied integratively. My experience with medical students that learn how to study integratively is that they improve their academic performance. I don't have the experience to say that for premeds yet, but I am starting some projects this year to extend in that direction.

The integrative learning style is not easy if you prefer the linear memorization of material. There is nothing wrong with the latter and for many it turns out to be a great strength in their careers. But, research shows that those who rely too heavily on linear (also, called literal) learning test out worse on timed multiple choice exams than what they actually know. Those who think that these exams just test memorization are just plain misinformed. Over half of the questions from gross anatomy and biochemistry at my school require integrative thinking to figure out the answer. I don't know from experience yet, but the MCAT is likely to be that way also, considering the people who write the questions.

Concept diagramming (nicknamed bubble diagramming by my students), analysis of right and wrong answers to practice questions, seeking out cause-and-effect relationships, and looking for similarities and differences are all strategies that develop the integrative style of learning. I wouldn't do another MCAT attempt until you have had sufficient time to study more comprehensively in this mode for a while.

Please understand that linear and integrative learning are different, but valid, ways of thinking. That means that they are different ways of being smart. Filling in little circles on a scantron is only one way of measuring smart, but being able to deduce which ones to fill in is an essential skill if you expect to have a realistic chance at a career in medicine.

There is a positive spin to your situation. Fixing this problem in premed is immensely easier, and less painful, than trying to fix it while you're flunking out of med school. If you have more specific questions, feel free to email me.

my best,

jwpelley

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to RELAX. I could be wrong but since your scores have gone
down I'd bet your problem is stress. You should definately take the
August MCAT. Spend time with practice tests. Take your time, try
to figure out your weak areas and focus only on them. The week before
the test, put EVERYTHING away and spend the time relaxing. When you
take the test, really try to think of it as "practice" for April, ie,.
not the real thing. I know it sounds crazy but I was in the same
situation, tried this approach and got great results. With the stress
gone, I was able to relax and do my best.

If you can get AT LEAST a 25-27 (with no 7's) you should apply to as
many schools as possible. Also, unless your heart is set on one or the
other, apply to both DO and MD schools (but be realistic...skip the ivy
league). Although some think DO schools always take lower numbers, that's
not really the case. I know of DO applicants that were rejected with 9's
and 10's and MD students that were accepted with 8's and 9's. It really
depends on where you apply, what the rest of your application looks like
and how your interviews go. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for the responses. Right now I'm not sure about taking the test again in August. Since I just got these scores this week I checked with Kaplan and PR (not that either of them did me much good before). Their classes for the August test have been underway for awhile, and I was advised not to try and catch up. What do you think?

You should talk to the Kaplan people again - you may not need to attend the classes as much as you should really use the library and practice tests. Also, work on building your test taking endurance to give yourself extra help in the bio sciences protion.

I really think if you really want to be a physician, you should take the test again. But remember to keep adding to your application in other ways as well. For example, get as much experience in the field as you can. Maybe look into a one year Master's program - this will help show committees you can get through upper level work. But take the test again. And really, it's only two months out of your life to conquer the one big obstacle that is keeping you from med school. Don't let this test beat you! Good luck!