Dead-set on taking a year off. What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Punchap

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a third year undergraduate and am planning to take a year off before medical school, but I'm a little unsure of what I should do with my year.

I participated in an 11-month AmeriCorps program before undergrad. (loved the real life experience) and am very interested in taking a similar break before I finish my education. I'm not sure what I should do with my year -- I am very interested in public health and community service (esp. international) and am considering doing an MPH (1-yr. option at my school), but am not sure if this is what I want.

I have one concern though...I have accrued substantial debt as an undergraduate and am looking for an option that allows me to defer most (if not all my loans) for my year off in case I am unable to pay on them. Are there volunteer/research programs like this?

Any program/ideas/suggestions? I'm open to all...thanks for your comments in advance. I apologize for the long note.

-Punchap

Members don't see this ad.

Join the Marines, either in the Reserves or active duty (but you will sit out four years if you go active duty).

Do some real "service" and get some real "real life" experience, not self-aggrandizing emotional masturbation like Americorps.

Your student loans are deferred interest free for active duty. I'm also pretty sure the military is still offering some ungodly amount for tution assistance under the MGIB.

If I were you, I'd stay out of the military. Spend that year either pursuing a creative interest you've always wished to pursue, or working in some public service (but fun) field. But I wouldn't join the Reserves (or Active Duty) simply for lack of better ideas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered becoming a teacher?

I grappled with the same issue during my third year of college, and decided that teaching was the best thing for me to do. I ended up taking 3 years off (a long time, I know, but it was absolutely worth it :) )

CAVEAT: You shouldn't consider teaching if you 1)refer to kiddies as "rugrats" 2)get annoyed when you get interrupted with long, often irrelevant questions about your top 3)you don't like being hugged

Teaching is a wonderful experience.

Just something to think about...

docjolly said:
Have you considered becoming a teacher?

I grappled with the same issue during my third year of college, and decided that teaching was the best thing for me to do. I ended up taking 3 years off (a long time, I know, but it was absolutely worth it :) )

CAVEAT: You shouldn't consider teaching if you 1)refer to kiddies as "rugrats" 2)get annoyed when you get interrupted with long, often irrelevant questions about your top 3)you don't like being hugged

Teaching is a wonderful experience.

Just something to think about...

Did you teach through Teach for America or were you able to find a teaching position with a BA? Just curious how you went about doing this. Thanks.

Punchap said:
Did you teach through Teach for America or were you able to find a teaching position with a BA? Just curious how you went about doing this. Thanks.

Hi Punchap,

No, I didn't go through teach for America (although, several of my friends did go through the program, and are now in medical school). Teach for America is an excellent program, and I highly recommend it (if you're interested). I didn't use the program b/c I did not do my research, and did not know anything about the program when I began looking for a job, come senior year. By the time I learned about Teach for America, the program was no longer accepting applications :( ....Interestingly, I actually was able to enter teaching with my BA, and had to take graduate education courses (while I was teaching) to receive my state certfication :)

docjolly said:
Hi Punchap,

No, I didn't go through teach for America (although, several of my friends did go through the program, and are now in medical school). Teach for America is an excellent program, and I highly recommend it (if you're interested). I didn't use the program b/c I did not do my research, and did not know anything about the program when I began looking for a job, come senior year. By the time I learned about Teach for America, the program was no longer accepting applications :( ....Interestingly, I actually was able to enter teaching with my BA, and had to take graduate education courses (while I was teaching) to receive my state certfication :)

Sounds like a great experience..not sure if I am cut out to teach young kids, but I admire those who are. Thanks for your post.

Punchap said:
Hello,

I'm a third year undergraduate and am planning to take a year off before medical school, but I'm a little unsure of what I should do with my year.

I participated in an 11-month AmeriCorps program before undergrad. (loved the real life experience) and am very interested in taking a similar break before I finish my education. I'm not sure what I should do with my year -- I am very interested in public health and community service (esp. international) and am considering doing an MPH (1-yr. option at my school), but am not sure if this is what I want.

I have one concern though...I have accrued substantial debt as an undergraduate and am looking for an option that allows me to defer most (if not all my loans) for my year off in case I am unable to pay on them. Are there volunteer/research programs like this?

Any program/ideas/suggestions? I'm open to all...thanks for your comments in advance. I apologize for the long note.

-Punchap

Hi. You should be able to defer your loan payments if you can show that your income is low enough-(which it should be if you are planning on volunteering). I deferred my loans for a year before entering medical school this year. All it took was a phone call and then sending in some proof of income (or non-income).

yposhelley said:
Hi. You should be able to defer your loan payments if you can show that your income is low enough-(which it should be if you are planning on volunteering). I deferred my loans for a year before entering medical school this year. All it took was a phone call and then sending in some proof of income (or non-income).

Really good to know. Thanks.

Volunteer. Go out and help some people in a part of the world that you really want to see. Not only will you do some good, but you will be able to relax and to see another part of the world. Not to mention these experiences look really good on med school applications.

I taught ESL in Korea for a year after undergrad. Interesting experience and good money (vounteering for a year wasn't an option given my fiscal conservativism and student debt at the time). I taught mostly business people, although my girlfriend, who is an elementary teacher now, taught mostly kids working out of the same office. We just kind of gravitated towards what we preffered to teach.

this has come up on other threads (gen residency forum), but if you don't already speak spanish, i would recommend going off to learn this. it's INCREDIBLY prevalent in the world of medicine. these days, any physician in a major to mid size city, generally anyplace in the u.s., but esp on the coasts, will encounter spanish-only speaking patients often. you will be at an advantage if you do not have to call an interpreter to get through these encounters, and the patient will receive better care. that's my vote.

have fun!! consider taking more than one year. life is too short to spend most of it doing only one thing, imho. you'll be more mentally equipped to handle the rigors of studying and working in medicine if you have some years behind you doing other stuff, maturing in the real world, and experiencing life.