deadline for HPSP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xraygray

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know the timeline for applying for HPSP? still not sure if i wanna take this route but would like the option. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

xraygray said:
anyone know the timeline for applying for HPSP? still not sure if i wanna take this route but would like the option. Thanks.

You are wise to doubt this course of action. You are facing a truly monumental career decision which will effect the rest of your life. Better be 100% certain that this is exactly what you want to do and 100% certain that you desire to become a military physician and be willing to accept whatever that entails. Once you do it, there is no turning back, no room for regrets or escape.

You need to conduct your own independent thorough and complete investigation of the medical corps of the service(s) you are considering in order to make a fully informed decision. Reading the many posts in this forum is a good place to start, but don't limit your investigation to this forum.

One important thing I am also advising HPSP applicants to do now, which is something I did not do, but now wish that I had, and that is to have your contract law attorney review any contract before you sign it. The HPSP contract is a physician employment contract, given the importance of it, you need your own attorney to review it to make certain that it is in your best interest. If there is any doubt, do not sign it.

island doc said:
You are wise to doubt this course of action. You are facing a truly monumental career decision which will effect the rest of your life. Better be 100% certain that this is exactly what you want to do and 100% certain that you desire to become a military physician and be willing to accept whatever that entails. Once you do it, there is no turning back, no room for regrets or escape.

You need to conduct your own independent thorough and complete investigation of the medical corps of the service(s) you are considering in order to make a fully informed decision. Reading the many posts in this forum is a good place to start, but don't limit your investigation to this forum.

One important thing I am also advising HPSP applicants to do now, which is something I did not do, but now wish that I had, and that is to have your contract law attorney review any contract before you sign it. The HPSP contract is a physician employment contract, given the importance of it, you need your own attorney to review it to make certain that it is in your best interest. If there is any doubt, do not sign it.

ummm...so what about the timeline?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't take this to the bank, but I believe the boards that met to select 4 year scholarship recipients did so back in the spring. With the scholarship being effective at the start of the school year.

Additionally, if you' ve already started med school, the various branches of the military have 3 yr. scholarships and possibly 2 yr. scholarships as well. If a 3 yr. scholarship has any appeal to you, you should know the various branches are probably already gathering students packages together to submit to the selection boards. Each branch has their own board dates and selection criteria. They will then offer 3 yr. scholarships to those students for next yr.

Good luck in whatever you decide...

so i just got accepted for next year's class (entering med school in fall of 2006). am i too late to apply for the scholarship?

xraygray said:
so i just got accepted for next year's class (entering med school in fall of 2006). am i too late to apply for the scholarship?
No. There isn't an absolute deadline for HPSP like there is for medical schools. It's conceivable that you could apply and be accepted as late as the summer before you head to medical school. I believe, but don't hold me to this, that each branch will continue to accept applications until they run out of scholarships. It really depends on how many people accept the HPSP scholarship in the service branch you apply to.

There was a recent thread that the Navy had only filled about half of its HPSP scholarship positions from this year's medical students. You can bet that if you had applied for a Navy HPSP scholarship this past summer, they probably would have fallen all over themselves to get you signed up. The Air Force is a different matter, though. They have less trouble filling their scholarship positions, so you don't want to delay the process too much. Having an acceptance in hand does help when you apply for the scholarship, though.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for the info.

Croatalus_atrox said:
No. There isn't an absolute deadline for HPSP like there is for medical schools. It's conceivable that you could apply and be accepted as late as the summer before you head to medical school. I believe, but don't hold me to this, that each branch will continue to accept applications until they run out of scholarships. It really depends on how many people accept the HPSP scholarship in the service branch you apply to.

There was a recent thread that the Navy had only filled about half of its HPSP scholarship positions from this year's medical students. You can bet that if you had applied for a Navy HPSP scholarship this past summer, they probably would have fallen all over themselves to get you signed up. The Air Force is a different matter, though. They have less trouble filling their scholarship positions, so you don't want to delay the process too much. Having an acceptance in hand does help when you apply for the scholarship, though.

You should know that there are "board dates." Meaning that you have to get your package submitted by a certain cut off date for your application to meet the scholarship selection board. The cut off date may be several weeks prior to the board meeting to correct any errors or provide any additional information needed.

You may be offered a scholarship or you ay be selected as an "alternate select." Meaning that should anyone fall out or not accept their scholarship, you could still get one based on how high you're ranked on the "alternate-select list." You may want to check with a recruiter and find out what those board dates are. It can sometimes be a lengthy application process.

Hope this helps.

AFMan42 said:
You should know that there are "board dates." Meaning that you have to get your package submitted by a certain cut off date for your application to meet the scholarship selection board. The cut off date may be several weeks prior to the board meeting to correct any errors or provide any additional information needed.

You may be offered a scholarship or you ay be selected as an "alternate select." Meaning that should anyone fall out or not accept their scholarship, you could still get one based on how high you're ranked on the "alternate-select list." You may want to check with a recruiter and find out what those board dates are. It can sometimes be a lengthy application process.

Hope this helps.
I guess I should have been more clear. You're right about deadlines for individual boards, and obviously the deadline for the last board of the year is an absolute cutoff date of sorts. But I think the OP was more concerned about there being the sort of deadline like there is when applying to medical schools or other scholarships, where they want you to have your application in and complete fairly early on in the process, like mid-November or so. He mostly wanted to know if it was too late to apply as of now, which it most certainly isn't.

Strictly speaking, there isn't an absolute written deadline for the HPSP in any of the services. There are, however, practical deadlines that will vary by service. As you said, the application process is involved and lengthy, so that must be taken into account when applying because starting the process 2 weeks before classes begin is most likely way too late.

I am not sure about the other services, but the last AF board date was May 05 for the 2009 entering class. As for the AF, the first board for 2010 will meet sometime this fall (it may have already met) and boards will continue to meet regularly until spring. You have to have an acceptance before you can apply- at least for AF.

We just had an interesting talk by a Navy 05 involved in the HPSP progam (he works in DC). Navy missed its recruiting goal by 1/2 and Army missed as well- by a few percent. AF just made it. The Navy is actually thinking about offering 4 yr scholarships to people that have already finished their 1st year (pay back 1st year) to try to compensate. As for the routine application process, the posts are correct- you can keep trying until the slots are all gone. This past year, the AF kept adding boards until their goal was met. AF slots have traditionally filled by March, so in general, applying earlier helps- even though this year it didn't matter as much (I didn't apply until March and met the May board). I think some folks on this site applied in the summer to Navy and got picked up. Good luck!