Should I pursue HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

charliehuns

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello and thanks in advance!

I have been struggling to make a decision between the Navy HPSP scholarship and taking out loans. I am hoping that through this forum I can gain some semblance of my best path forward.

I start July 6th with MCW and aspire to specialize in Hematology/Oncology. That being said I am entering with an open mind and also have an interest in anesthesia, orthopedics, and dermatology. Aim high right?

I have been confident in HPSP. I went to MEPS, had MCW fill out my AYS form and pretty much just have to swear in. However, in the last few days I have begun to struggle with my decision. I think that serving is honorable and I do desire to work within the military, but I would be lying if I said my primary driver is not related to finances. I put myself through undergrad. Accumulated 70k in loans and ate peanut butter and tuna for most meals. HPSP in the short term provides me to opportunity to not live like that again.

It also removes a significant amount of independence. I do not want to be told in 4 years that a specialty I have worked towards is not available. It also seems to be less conducive to being present for a family, even more so than the civilian side. And there is also the fact that the difference in attending salary is so great for some specialties that it ends up being a loss financially anyway.

The alternative is not great either. I would need to be taking out LARGE loans. MCW estimates roughly 100k per year. Which seems accurate. This alongside the recent changes to graduate student loans just seems so daunting. My credit is ~750, I have cheap rent and a cheap car payment but…. Wow that’s a lot of money.

One outright question I have is if anyone could explain their experience with the Navy’s GMO program and what that looks like I would appreciate it. Otherwise any thoughts or opinions would be valued greatly. To those who have taken out loans and have had little financial support… how was it?

Please ask any questions or voice any concerns. Thanks again for reading/helping me reach a decision!
 
Last edited:
My advice is to take out the loans. We are on the cusp of WWIII. There is a fair chance there will be a physician draft if that happens, so you might end up serving regardless.

Our hospitals are currently highly dysfunctional. Physicians are forced to do administrative tasks that are typically done by MSA’s. Save yourself the pain and heartache.

You will make enough money as a civilian oncologist.
 
I was on this forum a decade ago (lost the account) asking the same question, was told not to do it. Now I am finishing my HPSP commitment, paid back as GMO, and accepted to civilian residency. Knowing what I know now, I would rather have lived on beans and rice than join. Take the loans, talk to your schools financial aid office, etc. If you want to join the military later, there are programs for residents and attendings that appear to be a better deal.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is quite literally ONE heme/onc slot in the Navy, so no, do not do Navy HPSP if that is your goal. At least choose a different service if you're going to do it.

And if you're worried about loans, for basically all those specialties you listed, doing HPSP will be a net financial loss in the long-term.
 
You have so many other options to get your loans paid off fast. I mean if you really can't stand any more debt, there's the VA HPSP which may choose where you live, but that place will at least be in the US and won't have near the same restrictions on residency training. Admittedly, they may be less interested in you if you're pulling out of another HPSP, but I don't know. If you don't do that, there's always the VA EDRP which is $200k off loan debt over 5 years with it all gone through PSLF in 10 years. You get to choose which VA you apply to with that. Some other private and public entities have similar deals.
 
No. Take loans. Live cheaply. If you want loan repayment you can always work in VA or Indian Health when you finish.
 
I had a wonderful career split between AD and the reserves.

But my AD time was in a different era and can’t in good conscience recommend AD mil med for most people.

For some, with a strong mil family tradition and a desire for a 20+ year career, maybe. But what you think you want for the next 24+ years at 22yo is most likely to change. Heck, I’ve seen more than one hard charging soldier do a complete 180 on what they want after marriage and a child.

Be very wary of folks with Forrest Gump careers (like me, lol) thinking it will be that way for everyone. Likewise, take everything the Negative Nancy’s say with a shaker of salt as well.


Good luck!
 
For your case, it seems that HPSP is a no go. Especially with this "special military operation." And an upcoming confrontation regarding the Taiwan question. But there are two decent reasons for joining mil medicine.

1) GMO and GTFO, which is easiest through the Navy (why I chose it). I don't mind the delay in training as I'm young, and the salary provided during GMO payback is pretty good for someone in their late 20s looking to chill out.

But if you're older, not as athletic, and extremely risk averse and not adventurous... you're f*cked. You also seem set on Heme/Onc - which is challenging, especially in the Navy. One thing you must understand about the military is that THEIR needs ALWAYS come first; you only get YOUR CHOICE once you're out.

2) You want to make a career out of service; which in that case you should have tried for USUHS.

One of the reasons I'm joining, outside of serving my fellow Americans and getting some unique work experience (which is uncommon with my demographic); is political insurance. I'm part of a minority that has become.... very controversial (both politically and societally), to say the least. I'm starting to see patterns, and I know the playbook. Ask yourself - do YOU need political insurance? Do any of the above reasons for joining apply?

If not, you immediately need to stop this process. Do NOT let your recruiter talk you into this that easily. Better opportunities with VA or PSLF