Dealbreakers in ranking a program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ergal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

For all you 4th years out there, what if any are your dealbreakers when looking at residency programs in terms of curriculum (e.g., ward rotations, mandatory aeromed participation, mandatory international rotations).

For the seasoned residents and attendings out there, what should applicants consider dealbreakers (other than the obvious RRC flags and in jeopardy of losing accreditation)?

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't get to meet the residents, or if you do & they all seem unhappy - those are deal breakers.

If you don't get to meet the residents, or if you do & they all seem unhappy - those are deal breakers.

yup..wilcowrold is on the $$$$...if u dont go on the socials..you're the one losing out. IF your gonna spend the next 3-4 years at a place, i personally think #1 priorty should be on the people you'll be working with.
If the residents are happy and are the type of ppl u can hang out with...its definitely a good sign!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say no free meals in the cafeteria definitely drops a program off my rank list.

In all seriousness, I agree with unhappy residents. If you see unhappy residents during interview day when programs are usually putting their best foot forward, it's definitely a bad sign.

Personally I think required flying may be a deal breaker. I'm not completely sure about that yet, though.

I don't think there is any one certain rotation that would be a deal breaker for me. Even if a rotation sucks horribly bad, you have to figure you can at least put up with it for a month. I definitely wouldn't want to rule out a program that I otherwise really like.

Has anyone really come across a program where they were hiding the residents? Every interview I have gone on, the residents are front and center whether at the event the night before or during the interview day lunch.

For me, required flight is becoming a dealbreaker. I hate flying and know God has a sense of humor. :eek:

I am not crazy about required surgery rotations but it has not edged up to dealbreaker status just yet.

Hidden residents -- yes. At one program, interviewees were at conference with the residents, but everyone ignored us. (Even people who had rotated there seemed to be getting the cold shoulder). There was one resident assigned as a tour guide, so he had to talk to us. For lunch, we were shepherded into a back office, and it was just interviewees, no residents.

I've been advised that being scutted too much should be a dealbreaker, and I think it probably will be. (By too much, I mean programs where for all three/four years you do more nursing/tech tasks than the nurses and techs).

Hidden residents -- yes. At one program, interviewees were at conference with the residents, but everyone ignored us. (Even people who had rotated there seemed to be getting the cold shoulder). There was one resident assigned as a tour guide, so he had to talk to us. For lunch, we were shepherded into a back office, and it was just interviewees, no residents.

I've been advised that being scutted too much should be a dealbreaker, and I think it probably will be. (By too much, I mean programs where for all three/four years you do more nursing/tech tasks than the nurses and techs).

While I am a pgy-3 now I know of one place i interviewed were only a few select people were allowed to go to dinner with us the night before. Then no lunch with the residents. Things are different where I am at now.