This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gjsmize88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried searching through other threads but couldn't find much on this so I decided to start a new one just about this topic! :hello:

I'm looking to adopt a dog at the beginning of this summer that I can bring with me to vet school and I am really trying to convince myself to do the smart thing and get a nice little apartment-friendly <35lb dog so I have the most options when trying to find a place to live. Especially since I really have no idea where I will be going yet (currently sitting on 2 wait lists :help:). My issue, though, is that I can't see myself with anything other than a pit bull, which of course REALLY limits my options when it comes to breed restrictions and even just weight restrictions. I just know that with my personality and activity level, they are the perfect dog for me and it absolutely breaks my heart that so many places discriminate against them :(

I guess I'm not really asking for advice on what to do, since obviously it's hard to say when I don't even know what state I'll be living in....I kind of just wanted to hear other people's stories since I'm sure a lot of you on here have been affected by BSL. Was it really that much harder to find a place to live? Or way more expensive? How did you make it work? Or did you have to leave your pets behind?

Also feel free to post/vent about any other stories you have dealing with BSL! I have worked with pitties in rescues all my life but this would be my first time actually owning one so I want to hear all about it!

Members don't see this ad.

I would stick with a small breed dog.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I tried searching through other threads but couldn't find much on this so I decided to start a new one just about this topic! :hello:

I'm looking to adopt a dog at the beginning of this summer that I can bring with me to vet school and I am really trying to convince myself to do the smart thing and get a nice little apartment-friendly <35lb dog so I have the most options when trying to find a place to live. Especially since I really have no idea where I will be going yet (currently sitting on 2 wait lists :help:). My issue, though, is that I can't see myself with anything other than a pit bull, which of course REALLY limits my options when it comes to breed restrictions and even just weight restrictions. I just know that with my personality and activity level, they are the perfect dog for me and it absolutely breaks my heart that so many places discriminate against them :(

I guess I'm not really asking for advice on what to do, since obviously it's hard to say when I don't even know what state I'll be living in....I kind of just wanted to hear other people's stories since I'm sure a lot of you on here have been affected by BSL. Was it really that much harder to find a place to live? Or way more expensive? How did you make it work? Or did you have to leave your pets behind?

Also feel free to post/vent about any other stories you have dealing with BSL! I have worked with pitties in rescues all my life but this would be my first time actually owning one so I want to hear all about it!

Bully breeds are great! However, it's going to be really difficult to find a place to live. Even home owner's insurance will drop you if you have a bully breed dog which is sad. I would get an apartment friendly dog or just wait it out until you have a permanent place to live where there is no discrimination against bully breeds. In my case, I'm moving to Auburn, AL and all of the apartments I've looked at online have policies for dogs in that they have to be under 20 or 30 pounds.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I've abstained from getting any dogs because it's more expensive and difficult to find housing as a renter, regardless of the breed and regardless of whatever legislation exists in my municipality.

I settled for bunnies. I haven't come across many landlords in my area that have been anti-bunny.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't have a dog at all, just a cat. But every single apartment I've looked at recently that is pet friendly has had at least had breed restrictions, if not both breed and weight restrictions. Maybe that's just the city I'm moving to, but I'd bet this is an issue you would have renting in a lot of places.

Just to be an enabler, if you do decide to get a pit-mix dog it can help if you have your vet list them on their paperwork as "whatever else they are"-mix. For example, my dog is a lab-GSD-husky mix. The paperwork he came with listed him as a GSD mix, but I asked my vet to list him as a lab mix because I've never heard of BSL against labs but there are policies against shepherds. Then when my apartment complex asked for his records they could see that a reputable source (the vet) called him a lab mix, therefore he must be a lab mix. Not a lie, he definitely is part lab, but now he can stay in my (former) apartment that on paper doesn't allow people to have GSDs, pitties, rotties, or Dobies. No idea how the obviously pure bred GSD that lived above us managed to squeak in but at least that's how we did.

Weight restrictions are another kettle of fish...

Reactions: 1 user
Vet student with a pittie here. What worked for me was renting a house. Apartments more often than not do have breed restrictions, but with a house it was easier to negotiate with the landlord. We have two pits in my house and the landlords love them! It's doable for sure :)

also, in many situations renting a house can be cheaper. Imo the apartment life isn't suited for pits. You'll want a yard for them. Not sure what areas you're looking at moving to but look into it with some local houses. You're not committing to anything by shooting an email and asking if they would be okay with x breed.

Reactions: 1 users
I settled for bunnies. I haven't come across many landlords in my area that have been anti-bunny.
Funny thing is, I was just looking at some houses/apartments for rent in East Lansing since that's one of my top choices if I get in and one of the houses for rent listed that you can have dogs but absolutely no cats, reptiles or rodents :rofl:

Just to be an enabler, if you do decide to get a pit-mix dog it can help if you have your vet list them on their paperwork as "whatever else they are"-mix. For example, my dog is a lab-GSD-husky mix. The paperwork he came with listed him as a GSD mix, but I asked my vet to list him as a lab mix because I've never heard of BSL against labs but there are policies against shepherds. Then when my apartment complex asked for his records they could see that a reputable source (the vet) called him a lab mix, therefore he must be a lab mix. Not a lie, he definitely is part lab, but now he can stay in my (former) apartment that on paper doesn't allow people to have GSDs, pitties, rotties, or Dobies. No idea how the obviously pure bred GSD that lived above us managed to squeak in but at least that's how we did.

Would totally not be above doing this, but I just have this vision of me listing a dog that's clearly part bully-breed as a lab mix and getting away with it until some neighbor who thinks that pit bulls are the devil's spawn and will definitely snap and eat them without warning gets offended and reports me and then animal control comes and takes my dog away and I'm sad :(

Vet student with a pittie here. What worked for me was renting a house. Apartments more often than not do have breed restrictions, but with a house it was easier to negotiate with the landlord. We have two pits in my house and the landlords love them! It's doable for sure :)

also, in many situations renting a house can be cheaper. Imo the apartment life isn't suited for pits. You'll want a yard for them. Not sure what areas you're looking at moving to but look into it with some local houses. You're not committing to anything by shooting an email and asking if they would be okay with x breed.
Did you have to make any difficult decisions like giving up a much cheaper option or going further away from your campus to be able to find a place that would allow them? And how difficult was it for you to actually find that place? Sorry I have so many questions, I just want to get a feel for how realistic my dreams are LOL

I have a 30 lb pittie/jack mix currently hogging the bed with me. We're in a house now, but she was a great apartment dog and was under most of the weight restrictions. As for breed restrictions, three of the places I've rented haven't cared (two of those were from individual landlords - rental companies tend to be less understanding). When I went to Long Island for my internship, it was a hassle and a half trying to find a place that would accept a dog, period. When I finally found one that would kind of work, I straight-up lied about her suspected parentage (unless you get a Wisdom Panel done, nobody can *prove* she's not a Jack Russel Terrier/Puggle cross. So.) In theory, I could have been evicted if someone had complained, but I saw much more questionable-looking dogs at the same apartment complex. That being said, I searched high and low for that place and there have been plenty of less-expensive places along the way that I had to disqualify over breed restrictions.

I'd be more leery of county/municipality-based breed restrictions, since there are plenty of stories of dogs being seized. If you're violating your lease, all your neighbor can do is complain to your landlord, who then has to decide whether to let it go or undertake costly and drawn-out eviction proceedings. If you're violating some stupid county ordinance, there's always a risk that Animal Control might just take the dog away.

As much as I think BSL is silly, it rubs me the wrong way when people ask me to do this with an "obvious" not-predominantly-Lab-mix and especially when it's a dog that I don't know at all. Mostly from a liability perspective - if something ever were to happen, I don't want my rear end involved in any legal proceedings.

As much as I think BSL is silly, it rubs me the wrong way when people ask me to do this with an "obvious" not-predominantly-Lab-mix and especially when it's a dog that I don't know at all. Mostly from a liability perspective - if something ever were to happen, I don't want my rear end involved in any legal proceedings.
I can definitely understand that and it's a personal choice. Just giving my perspective. If I'd gotten to know my pup more before taking him in I'd probably have told them to call him a husky mix. He looks like a black lab with a curled tail and partially upright ears, but I think his personality is mostly husky.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 30 lb pittie/jack mix currently hogging the bed with me. We're in a house now, but she was a great apartment dog and was under most of the weight restrictions. As for breed restrictions, three of the places I've rented haven't cared (two of those were from individual landlords - rental companies tend to be less understanding). When I went to Long Island for my internship, it was a hassle and a half trying to find a place that would accept a dog, period. When I finally found one that would kind of work, I straight-up lied about her suspected parentage (unless you get a Wisdom Panel done, nobody can *prove* she's not a Jack Russel Terrier/Puggle cross. So.) In theory, I could have been evicted if someone had complained, but I saw much more questionable-looking dogs at the same apartment complex. That being said, I searched high and low for that place and there have been plenty of less-expensive places along the way that I had to disqualify over breed restrictions.

I'd be more leery of county/municipality-based breed restrictions, since there are plenty of stories of dogs being seized. If you're violating your lease, all your neighbor can do is complain to your landlord, who then has to decide whether to let it go or undertake costly and drawn-out eviction proceedings. If you're violating some stupid county ordinance, there's always a risk that Animal Control might just take the dog away.
For sure! So you think that if I end up with a pit, as long as there are no city ordinances, I could make it work? I only looked around one of my school choices so far, but I found a lot of places that allow large dogs and at least didn't say outright that there were breed restrictions..

Anyone else see this topic and think biosafety level? Any care to say what BSL stands for?

Ohhh I see it in the tags!!

Reactions: 6 users
For sure! So you think that if I end up with a pit, as long as there are no city ordinances, I could make it work? I only looked around one of my school choices so far, but I found a lot of places that allow large dogs and at least didn't say outright that there were breed restrictions..

Be prepared to spend more on rent than you otherwise would have (and not just in quantifiable "pet charges," but in having to cross some of the cheaper and more convenient rentals off your list). Be prepared for frustration in finding a place. Have a plan for how you'll exercise the dog (walk/jog? bike? dog park?). Don't get a puppy--you won't have the time. But, yes, a lot of us make it work. (Also, be aware that there's a very good chance you'll be bombarded with "My patient needs a home!" stories as soon as you get to vet school, but that's a whole different can of worms.)

(Also, be aware that there's a very good chance you'll be bombarded with "My patient needs a home!" stories as soon as you get to vet school, but that's a whole different can of worms.)

I delete these emails before I open them and got a roommate next year that can't live with a dog. Problem solved. Lol

Hey,

I have had a dog throughout most of my schooling. I have a cattle dog, which is small enough and obscure breed so I have never had a problem finding a place to live with her. Moving with pets can be a strain, where I currently live there are few places that you can have a dog over 35 lbs. You can find them, but it limits your choices. I have also only found one or two apartment complexes that didn’t have breed restrictions. If you rent from a smaller business or a person you might have better luck finding someone who is understanding. Or you could get a dog that was a "lab mix" you would have an easier time.

I think its worth having a dog. I got my girl as a puppy over the summer so I had time to train her, but even being five she still has moments when I dont exercise her enough and acts out. So just know its an adjustment.

Funny thing is, I was just looking at some houses/apartments for rent in East Lansing since that's one of my top choices if I get in and one of the houses for rent listed that you can have dogs but absolutely no cats, reptiles or rodents :rofl:

Rabbits are not cats, reptiles, OR rodents, so the advice still stands! No one says no to bunnies. :p

When I was growing up my mom specifically banned and 'rats, cats, and reptiles' from our house. And rats included all small mammals like hamsters and rabits...I tried to argue that point once and lost.

Rabbits are not cats, reptiles, OR rodents, so the advice still stands! No one says no to bunnies. :p

Which is funny, because my rabbit was by far the most destructive pet I've ever had. I built a huge pen for her so she could hop around and not destroy things, and she started eating the wall where it was exposed. Luckily, I can sparkle and that apartment complex was being knocked down anyway...

Edit: That should say I can spackle. I am not a vampire.

Reactions: 7 users
Be prepared to spend more on rent than you otherwise would have (and not just in quantifiable "pet charges," but in having to cross some of the cheaper and more convenient rentals off your list). Be prepared for frustration in finding a place. Have a plan for how you'll exercise the dog (walk/jog? bike? dog park?). Don't get a puppy--you won't have the time. But, yes, a lot of us make it work. (Also, be aware that there's a very good chance you'll be bombarded with "My patient needs a home!" stories as soon as you get to vet school, but that's a whole different can of worms.)
I've definitely heard that a lot of patients need homes once you get to vet school, but I'm really set on the idea of being able to train my first dog before I get busy and don't have the time to work with it as often. I figure that once I get into the routine of having a dog while in school and a patient comes along that steals my heart and the time is right, then what's one more? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Amusingly I've seen a fair few places around here that ban rabbits. In my experience places with very specific animal bans have had very unsavory experiences with those animals in the past.

Also as a side note, a lot of places will ban reptiles and exotics that need heat lamps because of fire safety issues as opposed to issues with the specific animals themselves. Speaking as someone who once melted my carpet with a heat lamp when I was 8, they're maybe not wrong about that, lol. :p