Dealing with Pain in Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Cbabcock22

Kansas State c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone. So this is kinda a different topic & I wasn’t really sure where to put it so I just made a new thread.

Does anyone deal with painful joints/muscles? I’ve always had somewhat of a bad back and working on a dairy farm for the past 2 years has not helped any. I was just wondering if anyone had any helpful advice for vet school because I don’t want it to get in the way at all. thanks In advance!
 
Hey everyone. So this is kinda a different topic & I wasn’t really sure where to put it so I just made a new thread.

Does anyone deal with painful joints/muscles? I’ve always had somewhat of a bad back and working on a dairy farm for the past 2 years has not helped any. I was just wondering if anyone had any helpful advice for vet school because I don’t want it to get in the way at all. thanks In advance!
@singhb09 you're being paged :laugh:
(Though who knows how long it’ll take for you to show up)

But also I have a bad back too and it’s been especially since last July and am hoping I’ll be starting vet school this fall, so I’m in that boat with you :hilarious:
 
Hey everyone. So this is kinda a different topic & I wasn’t really sure where to put it so I just made a new thread.

Does anyone deal with painful joints/muscles? I’ve always had somewhat of a bad back and working on a dairy farm for the past 2 years has not helped any. I was just wondering if anyone had any helpful advice for vet school because I don’t want it to get in the way at all. thanks In advance!

It’s honestly been pretty rough since what I deal with is severe neuro pain/symptoms in my leg so stress just exacerbates it, which makes focusing in class and studying all the more difficult at times. It’s going to sound cliche but the whole “making time for what you love” really does help with dealing with it mentally, along with my regular regiment of rx and non-rx pain meds of course. I’m currently not working which is nice given I worked in a high volume clinic for a couple of years prior to vet school wrestling animals for 45-50 hours a week so it’s been a nice physical break for me. Of course it’s going to depend on you personally and if you’ll be working or doing other physically draining things during vet school etc.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hah, I had a ****ing HIP SURGERY over winter break (to correct some femoral head problems after being kicked by a horse in the pelvis some years ago). So yea, I worry. 😵 I take heart from the fact that I know a vet who was a tech, but decided that tech life was too rough on her body, so she decided to become a vet so she wouldn't have to deal with the restraining rodeos. 🙂
 
I was just wondering if anyone had any helpful advice for vet school because I don’t want it to get in the way at all. thanks In advance!

PILATES.

I've seen it help so many people with every kind of muscle and/or joint pain/injury: back, neck, shoulder, hip, knee...

A lot of the exercises and equipment are used by physical therapists. In fact, some Pilates instructors have PT backgrounds. Definitely best to read up on the background of the instructor before signing up for a class.

Private lessons are expensive and way out of my price range, but I look for studios that offer small group classes (often with discounts if you buy a multi-class pass). Even one or two hours a week can make a huge difference.

Some university athletic centers have incorporated Pilates into their group exercise schedules, so that's definitely worth looking into.

And if you get into it, you can get some of the props (eg foam rollers) to use at home, and find short videos for free online.
 
@singhb09 you're being paged :laugh:
(Though who knows how long it’ll take for you to show up)

But also I have a bad back too and it’s been especially since last July and am hoping I’ll be starting vet school this fall, so I’m in that boat with you :hilarious:
@SkiOtter have you tried CBD oil? I hear it works wonders! 😉





this post is sarcastic and definitely an inside joke.
 
Hey everyone. So this is kinda a different topic & I wasn’t really sure where to put it so I just made a new thread.

Does anyone deal with painful joints/muscles? I’ve always had somewhat of a bad back and working on a dairy farm for the past 2 years has not helped any. I was just wondering if anyone had any helpful advice for vet school because I don’t want it to get in the way at all. thanks In advance!
If you haven't seen a doctor about it, I recommend you do. They might be able to prescribe PT or something, or at least isolate the problem. I also recommend you find out what triggers your pain-slouching, heavy backpack, lifting improperly, etc.

I have been dealing with a jacked up shoulder since vet school started (after 10 different orthopedists, one finally found that I actually had a very rare congenital bone abnormality). I did get two surgeries, the second which actually relieved my symptoms quite a lot...so that helps. Honestly I used to stash a cold pack in one of the freezers in the school with my name on it. It was the only way I could get through the day without taking the narcotics my MD recommended (They wiped out my pain entirely, but also I wouldn't have been able to stay awake/drive). If you need a heating pad, you can easily stash that under your chair and use it during lecture. If you need to take a break from sitting, do it. A few people in my class use chair cushions since our seats suck.

As for being limited physically, I would just be honest with people. If you have an injury, don't let people/clinicians pressure you into overdoing it. I had an issue with clinicians being downright nasty to me and saying things like "If you're in this much pain when you're young, good luck with your career." Then there are the awesome clinicians who understand and fully support you respecting your body and treating it well before things get worse. It's been over a year since my second surgery, and I still get immense pain the second I hit my limit of activity (which is usually lengthy restraint, unfortunately).

I'm going to reiterate that you should see a doctor to rule out anything they can help you with. Don't do anything new without at least seeing a doctor first, as I've known people who thought yoga/pilates might help, because everyone says it will, and it ended up terribly worsening their injury (especially spinal stuff), no offense to the recommendation above. I wouldn't screw around with back injuries/pain, it can haunt you for life. There may be nothing they can do, but they can at least rule out disc or nerve disease.
 
I waited 8 years to go to the doctor to try to fix some chronic problems that followed an acute injury... Really wish I'd gone earlier. I'm in physical therapy now, talking some new medication, got some anti-inflammatory shots... Feeling better than I have in years, and kicking myself for putting off seeing a specialist for so long. Highly second going to see a doctor to see what can be done to help.
 
I waited 8 years to go to the doctor to try to fix some chronic problems that followed an acute injury... Really wish I'd gone earlier. I'm in physical therapy now, talking some new medication, got some anti-inflammatory shots... Feeling better than I have in years, and kicking myself for putting off seeing a specialist for so long. Highly second going to see a doctor to see what can be done to help.

Caveat on my own post re: physical therapy - the co-pay $$$ needed adds up quick.

My copay for every visit is about $50, and my prescription is to go 3x a week for 6 weeks. So, definitely check on what your insurance co-pay is before you go to your first appointment so you don't have sticker shock. I was thinking my copay would be a regular $10 copay like when I go to a doctor's appointment.... $50 a visit instead is SO ROOD

But, given that my injury was beginning to interfere with my ability to walk it's worth it to me. Anything to do with your back is probably worth trying to fix now rather than waiting. (Or maybe apply to vet schools in Canada or the UK and make up the tuition difference by mooching off of that sweet sweet universal health care...)
 
Caveat on my own post re: physical therapy - the co-pay $$$ needed adds up quick.

My copay for every visit is about $50, and my prescription is to go 3x a week for 6 weeks. So, definitely check on what your insurance co-pay is before you go to your first appointment so you don't have sticker shock. I was thinking my copay would be a regular $10 copay like when I go to a doctor's appointment.... $50 a visit instead is SO ROOD
Try your insurance not paying anything until you meet your high deductible. That’s a super fun way to go to pt. :laugh:
Spoiler: pt also didn’t really help me much so that was a fun amount of money to spend for it to not really help
 
Last edited:
Try your insurance not paying anything until you meet your high deductible. That’s a super fun way to go to pt. :laugh:
Spoiler: pt also didn’t really help me much so that was a fun amount of money to spend for it to not really help
That's why I stopped going tbh. I was tired of 'Okay, here's a script for PT.' Dr., I'm not pill seeking or even asking for meds, I'm asking for a diagnosis here...
 
That's why I stopped going tbh. I was tired of 'Okay, here's a script for PT.' Dr., I'm not pill seeking or even asking for meds, I'm asking for a diagnosis here...
The only thing I’ve found to help so far was my steroid joint injection (even though that hurt more than my back did....)
Mine is apparently most likely no longer my herniated disc and is probably my SI joint causing most of the problems now. So a steroid injection in my SI joint helped some whereas the epidural for the disc did jack **** (and also hurt like a bitch, @singhb09 can attest to this too)
PT did nothing but the injection took some of the inflammation down and has helped SOME (but not like a super ton, just somewhat lessened the frequency of pain for me I think)

But yeah, pain meds from high strength ibuprofen to Norco did nothing for me so I don’t even bother with any sort of pain med anymore...
 
I'm going to reiterate that you should see a doctor to rule out anything they can help you with. Don't do anything new without at least seeing a doctor first, as I've known people who thought yoga/pilates might help, because everyone says it will, and it ended up terribly worsening their injury (especially spinal stuff), no offense to the recommendation above. I wouldn't screw around with back injuries/pain, it can haunt you for life.

No offense taken... I agree 100%! 🙂
 
I hurt my back pretty bad while I was in the Marine Corps like 10 years ago. Ended up forcing me to get out before I originally wanted to. I tried all kinds of stuff; pt, pool therapy, chiropractors, yoga, trigger point injections, accupuncture, electrical stimulation, anything they (military medicine and the VA) would recommend I would do. Went through a few cycles to seeing a new doctor, doing something new or a bit different, and eventually giving up because I wasn't get any better (or got worse in a few cases). I ended up like majorly abusing pain pills, and had resigned myself to living that way. Eventually kicked the pills and just kind of dealt with it after that. I recently got a new pain management team, and they put me on some medication for nerve pain, and it's been about the most effective thing I've tried (at least it works for my issue). I'm not really better by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm having more good days than bad now.

My first year and a half of vet school was a bit rough. Sitting in lecture for hours on end was torture, and spending crazy amount of time studying didn't help. I'd make sure I got up and moved around on breaks, and tried to be more active on the longer breaks. Anatomy was alright because I'd be able to change between sitting or standing whenever I needed.

See doctor if you need to, and start taking steps to get on top of your pain. Find whatever is effective for helping you, and do that regularly. We've got a few other people with back and hip issues in my class, and they stay off to the sides and back so they're able to stand and stretch whenever they need to.
 
The only thing I’ve found to help so far was my steroid joint injection (even though that hurt more than my back did....)
Mine is apparently most likely no longer my herniated disc and is probably my SI joint causing most of the problems now. So a steroid injection in my SI joint helped some whereas the epidural for the disc did jack **** (and also hurt like a bitch, @singhb09 can attest to this too)
PT did nothing but the injection took some of the inflammation down and has helped SOME (but not like a super ton, just somewhat lessened the frequency of pain for me I think)

But yeah, pain meds from high strength ibuprofen to Norco did nothing for me so I don’t even bother with any sort of pain med anymore...
Nothing worked for mine (except norco), but that's because we finally found out that I essentially had a deformed acromion. Joint injections can't help that, lol. I flat out declined the Norco because I knew it was going to be long term.

Pain is no joke. I was heading toward a dark place before we finally got my surgery...being in serious pain constantly is hard emotionally. Everyone always assumes you're exaggerating or looking for pills. I couldn't appreciate that frustration until I went through it myself.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nothing worked for mine (except norco), but that's because we finally found out that I essentially had a deformed acromion. Joint injections can't help that, lol. I flat out declined the Norco because I knew it was going to be long term.

Pain is no joke. I was heading toward a dark place before we finally got my surgery...being in serious pain constantly is hard emotionally. Everyone always assumes you're exaggerating or looking for pills. I couldn't appreciate that frustration until I went through it myself.
Ah yes I remember now you saying earlier that you did get a diagnosis

But yeah with the norco that doesn’t do anything for me so I’ve used literally like 4 of the pills I was prescribed in September because it literally does not help me. Same with Advil. So I just don’t use them regularly because why put meds into my system on a regular basis and potentially do damage to my organs if it’s not even helping me at all?
 
Hah, I had a ****ing HIP SURGERY over winter break (to correct some femoral head problems after being kicked by a horse in the pelvis some years ago). So yea, I worry. 😵 I take heart from the fact that I know a vet who was a tech, but decided that tech life was too rough on her body, so she decided to become a vet so she wouldn't have to deal with the restraining rodeos. 🙂
I'm dealing with hip problems myself.

How do you sit for hours in the classroom ??
 
I'm dealing with hip problems myself.

How do you sit for hours in the classroom ??
I've been doing a lot of PT to strengthen my butt, back and hip muscles. It gave me a lot of physical awareness that I'm hoping I can maintain and continue to use to improve daily comfort levels. But I'm a little worried about extended class time and have thought about looking into once of those lower back support wraps.
 
I've been doing a lot of PT to strengthen my butt, back and hip muscles. It gave me a lot of physical awareness that I'm hoping I can maintain and continue to use to improve daily comfort levels. But I'm a little worried about extended class time and have thought about looking into once of those lower back support wraps.
I’ve used one of the cheap (well it was $30) Lower back wraps from CVS @ work (dairy farm) and it definitely felt better. For me, it’s my lower back that hurts from bending over so much. It kinda restricts your bending while applying pressure which for me is what makes my back feel better.
 
Would a good seat cushion help you guys?
I got a seat cushion at the start of this year and it's A+++++++
It doesn't eliminate my pain problems but it makes sitting through hours of lecture tolerable. I was kicking myself for waiting so long to spend the $30 or whatever on it earlier. I also recommend bringing a lacrosse ball to class so you can roll out problem spots between classes.
 
I honestly have no idea. I haven’t been in school since my back majorly fell apart in July (it was only somewhat fallen apart before then) but it’s possible that it may help (and tbh I’m willing to try anything)

Have you thought about a full body transplant?
 
EXTRA ROOD
Lol. The first PT I had through Kaiser was total ****, so I can see where people get disenchanted. I had little faith going into post-op PT, but my new therapist is so fantastic and on point that it’s like night and day. I have a lot more perspective on my pain, healing and body now.
 
I got a seat cushion at the start of this year and it's A+++++++
It doesn't eliminate my pain problems but it makes sitting through hours of lecture tolerable. I was kicking myself for waiting so long to spend the $30 or whatever on it earlier. I also recommend bringing a lacrosse ball to class so you can roll out problem spots between classes.
What kind?
 
Pain is no joke. I was heading toward a dark place before we finally got my surgery...being in serious pain constantly is hard emotionally. Everyone always assumes you're exaggerating or looking for pills. I couldn't appreciate that frustration until I went through it myself.

I had had SI joint pain for years, on and off, sometimes bad enough that I couldn't walk. For a time I thought it was my piriformis, and piriformis stretches did help. Exercise helped, and I would be most painful in the mornings. Vet school (second year to be exact, when I overdid my extracurricular obligations) it ramped up to the point that I couldn't sleep through a whole night without waking in pain, and even if I made it through the night, I would awake in pain in the morning. I was taking NSAIDs every night (sorry, kidneys), which also helped. My pain would be in my SI joint, up and down my spine, in my costal joints especially.

Student health didn't know what to do with me. I got an abdominal ultrasound to rule out renal disease (I can tell kidney pain from back pain, but there you go) and they had me do PT, which put me in tears. After googling my symptoms a bunch, I asked to see a rheumatologist. They diagnosed me with an inflammatory spondyloarthropathy, started me on Celebrex and an injectable TNF-alpha inhibitor. Night and day difference.

I used to bring a heating pad to class all the time for my back, which helped some. If you haven't found a way to improve your pain medically, don't stop pushing - while you are a student and (hopefully) have good insurance and a flexible-ish schedule is a good time to pursue diagnostics.

Good luck chronic pain people - like @pinkpuppy9 said, it hurts on an emotional level. I can't tell you how often I woke in pain in the night and burst into tears from frustration. I was so sleep deprived.
 
Yes, I did deal with joint issues in vet school. I still do in practice. And it's rough. Really rough

Here's the thing you need to think about ahead of time: If this is causing issues for you now, what will it mean if you get into vet school, go through it, and become a vet? If it's truly a chronic problem, it's worth a thought or two now since this industry is known for being difficult to take vacations in, difficult to get accommodations for, and an expectation that your work is put before everything. It needs to change, but it isn't there yet.

Yes, it's doable. Make sure you see a doctor. if you need special accommodations in school, you will need a doctor's note. Better to start that ball rolling earlier. I also know people mean well, but talk to your doc about starting new exercise regimens. Pilates, as I think someone mentioned, might be great for some people, but it also might make YOUR problem worse.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also know people mean well, but talk to your doc about starting new exercise regimens. Pilates, as I think someone mentioned, might be great for some people, but it also might make YOUR problem worse.
This. Pilates was terrible for me because I needed surgery, not stretching and strengthening. Diagnosis first!