Dealing with Rude Interviewers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsokimadoctor

It's ok...I think
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been reading the interview responses of posters and it seems that some interviewers at various schools aren't as welcoming to some as they are to others.

When I went to my interview, it honestly felt like I had unknowingly walked in front of a firing squad. Judging from their body language, it seemed they had made their decision before I even had the chance to say anything. They took many things I said and twisted them so that they would count against me while denying the opportunity to clarify myself. In my situation, I tried to be respectful and not interrupt them while they went on what seemed like an ego trip but I'm starting to feel that it may have been a bad move.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips or experience on how to best deal with these types of interviewers.

Members don't see this ad.

i've been reading the interview responses of posters and it seems that some interviewers at various schools aren't as welcoming to some as they are to others.

When I went to my interview, it honestly felt like I had unknowingly walked in front of a firing squad. Judging from their body language, it seemed they had made their decision before I even had the chance to say anything. They took many things I said and twisted them so that they would count against me while denying the opportunity to clarify myself. In my situation, I tried to be respectful and not interrupt them while they went on what seemed like an ego trip but I'm starting to feel that it may have been a bad move.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips or experience on how to best deal with these types of interviewers.

Many times these types are just testing you to see how well you deal with pressure / hostile situation. You will get patients that are like this in the future, and it's a good way to test your mental strength.

Speak clearly and get your point across. Don't react negatively, smile a lot, and defend your stance.

Many times these types are just testing you to see how well you deal with pressure / hostile situation. You will get patients that are like this in the future, and it's a good way to test your mental strength.

Speak clearly and get your point across. Don't react negatively, smile a lot, and defend your stance.

Fair enough. Do they do this because they see a weakness in you or is it just random?

Members don't see this ad :)
One theory I have heard thrown around is that everything else looks way good, this is the last thing they can test you on. So be positive because it seems that hostile interviews have better track records than awesome interviews.

Wow. I really wished I would've known this before the interview...

I don't think they do this because they see any weakness. At one of my interviews, I had 4-5 ethical questions in a row - I felt like I was really being grilled and attacked. This was where I was told all interviewers were very laid back. Two of my other interviewers were also stoic the whole time and not responsive to any of my answers.

As they were wrapping up the interview, I accidentally caught the doctor who asked all those crazy questions filling out what appeared to be an interview evaluation form with 4 out of 5 for every section. I didn't know what it meant at that time but I eventually got an acceptance at this school.

Last edited:
DrWily said it best - what you described is very typical of an interview for a high stress job. It was no different when I was on the application trail in law enforcement. Interviewers made you feel as if there was no "right answer" to their questions and regardless of what you said they questioned your stance.

If you think about it - that's really the kind of scrutiny both law enforcement and physicians face. Any decision we make can fall under scrutiny by others, who may not agree with our stance, and it will be our task to defend our actions among peers.

Basically, they just want to see how you react... take it with a grain of salt and realize the worst thing to do is to become flustered or worked up. They don't necessarily care what your opinions are on touchy subjects - rather, that you have an opinion and you stand by it when challenged.

Just my 0.02.

It's called a stress interview. Think about it: if everything on your app looks great, what else is there to grill you on?

Also keep in mind most of your interviewers have no formal training in interviewing (unlike business school), so they could just be really bad at it.

Also keep in mind most of your interviewers have no formal training in interviewing (unlike business school), so they could just be really bad at it.

Actually, I have been to a few "interview bootcamps" at FAU hosted by their people from their med school admissions committee and they made us read books on interviewing processes written for business students. I think they take the time hone in on their interviewing skills by looking outside of their primary profession.

At our school, we don't go out of our way to do the hostile interview. But some people are definitely more of a hardass than others, and some are definite softies. You might have had just a bad luck of the draw in your panel.

well guys i found out i didnt get in :( from the way its looking, this will prob be the only interview i get this cycle. i wished i knew this info before...hopefully it'll benefit someone else in the future.

I work in a hostile enviorment all day long. My boss is always in a pissy mood, the clients are angry, and atmosphere is fast paced.

After doing this for a while, I've learned to shut out my emotions, ego. I think its part of the interview, stay relaxed, I don't agree with smiling all the time.. its fake. They know it, just think before you answer talk when its your turn.

Last edited:
It's probably best to remember that appearances are not always what they seem, and don't take anything personally.

I didn't say smile all the time, I said smile a lot. Let them know that you can handle the pressure and still be pleasant and professional. Don't go in and out with a grin that never leaves your face, but do flash some teeth and be generally "nice."