Dealing with rudeness as a fellow, helpless?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shouldigomd

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious if any other fellows have similar sentiments or is it just the culture of my institution? I never really experienced this as a resident but now as a consultant I find myself dealing with so many plain rude / disrespectful people. Not that I want to be rude to anyone but I feel helpless in that I am forced to smile and "take it" while these people have no repercussions to their actions. I try to shrug it off but I would be lying if I said it didn't wear on me.
 
If they are being inappropriate and belligerent, then you could report them. If the run a the mill rude but not grossly inappropriate, then might have to just take it.
 
How your attendings get paid (RVU versus salary) may also factor in how much support you'll get if you make an issue of this. Not saying it's right to be rude, but if you get paid by the consult, your threshold for pushing back on dumb consults is a lot higher.