Dealing with WISeR. What's your next move?

Started by drusso
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Havent seen that yet but I will watch out.

I dont think that I ever have over 20 Medicare cases to submit as 60% of mine are in office and 40% in HOPD
We are having to auth all the ESI I do in my office as well - I work at a neurosurgery group so I have a ton of those.

Interesting re: the RFA at HOPD being a different process. This is the excuse I was given by my prior auth person why I had to cancel 3 RFAs my last day at the surgery center (who must billing as HOPD). She said it was bc she couldn’t submit over 20 a day, but I only work at the HOPD once every other week so she shouldn’t have anywhere near 20 cases a day for that, and if it’s unrelated to WISER then sounds to me like she just dropped the ball
 
Last edited:
We are having to auth all the ESI I do in my office as well - I work at a neurosurgery group so I have a ton of those.

Interesting re: the RFA at HOPD being a different process. This is the excuse I was given by my prior auth person why I had to cancel 3 RFAs my last day at the surgery center (who must billing as HOPD). She said it was bc she couldn’t submit over 20 a day, but I only work at the HOPD once every other week so she shouldn’t have anywhere near 20 cases a day for that, and if it’s unrelated to WISER then sounds to me like she just dropped the ball
RFAs in HOPD have nothing to do with WISER and this requirement has been in place for 2 years.....so I don't know what she means.
 
My hopd had already implemented wiser before wiser was a thing. So we haven’t experienced any issues.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just did a Medicaid p2p for a second mbb. Didn't approve it b/c we hand't seen patient back after the first block and documented that he was still doing his home exercise program and his pain had returned to > 6/10. Thought these two things were pretty much understood.

The reviewer then went on to say "all Medicaid patients only need one mbb with > 70% relief to proceed to RFA and most all insurances follow this as well. It's only Medicare that requires > 80% x 2". I told him I had never heard of this in my 17 yrs of practice. Anyone else hear this???
 
Last edited:
Just did a Medicaid p2p for a second mbb. Didn't approve it b/c we hand't seen patient back after the first block and documented that he was still doing his home exercise program and pain had returned to > 6/10. The reviewer then went on to say "all Medicaid patients only need one mbb with > 70% relief to proceed to RFA and most all insurances follow this as well. It's only Medicare that requires > 80% x 2". I told him I had never heard of this in my 17 yrs of practice. Anyone else hear this???
Doing a Medicaid peer to peer? No, I’ve never heard of doing that.
In my area, as far as I know it’s all gone to 2 MBBs. Even WC I’ve been doing 2 since the ODG criteria which favor RF call for 2 MBBs.
 
Just did a Medicaid p2p for a second mbb. Didn't approve it b/c we hand't seen patient back after the first block and documented that he was still doing his home exercise program and his pain had returned to > 6/10. Thought these two things were pretty much understood.

The reviewer then went on to say "all Medicaid patients only need one mbb with > 70% relief to proceed to RFA and most all insurances follow this as well. It's only Medicare that requires > 80% x 2". I told him I had never heard of this in my 17 yrs of practice. Anyone else hear this???
never
 
Just did a Medicaid p2p for a second mbb. Didn't approve it b/c we hand't seen patient back after the first block and documented that he was still doing his home exercise program and his pain had returned to > 6/10. Thought these two things were pretty much understood.

The reviewer then went on to say "all Medicaid patients only need one mbb with > 70% relief to proceed to RFA and most all insurances follow this as well. It's only Medicare that requires > 80% x 2". I told him I had never heard of this in my 17 yrs of practice. Anyone else hear this???
very odd, centene medicaid now requiring a signed letter allowing us to even write an appeal...smh, its getting worse
 
Just did a Medicaid p2p for a second mbb. Didn't approve it b/c we hand't seen patient back after the first block and documented that he was still doing his home exercise program and his pain had returned to > 6/10. Thought these two things were pretty much understood.

The reviewer then went on to say "all Medicaid patients only need one mbb with > 70% relief to proceed to RFA and most all insurances follow this as well. It's only Medicare that requires > 80% x 2". I told him I had never heard of this in my 17 yrs of practice. Anyone else hear this???
medicaid P2P doesnt sound like its worth your time.
it doesnt sound like it is worth my dog's time.

we had a single medicaid carrier a few years ago with similar numbers and only required 1 MBB. but they changed maybe 3 years ago
 
medicaid P2P doesnt sound like its worth your time.
it doesnt sound like it is worth my dog's time.

we had a single medicaid carrier a few years ago with similar numbers and only required 1 MBB. but they changed maybe 3 years ago
Maybe not but I get paid the same regardless of carrier
 
still not worth your time. just get the denial and then addend the note. easy peasy
What’s happening in my situation is everything is already in the note. The denial letter states they didn’t get documentation of 6 weeks of PT, pain scores, function, past treatments, etc. they purposely act like they didn’t get my notes which have all this information in them. We send the notes and it’s all there. It’s such a scam
 
What’s happening in my situation is everything is already in the note. The denial letter states they didn’t get documentation of 6 weeks of PT, pain scores, function, past treatments, etc. they purposely act like they didn’t get my notes which have all this information in them. We send the notes and it’s all there. It’s such a scam
ive noticed with some medicaid carriers that they are looking for actual dates of physical therapy, like, february 12, 16, 19, etc. its a huge hassle
 
My staff signed up a frequent flier patient for a cervical ESI without asking me first and submitted an old note that talked about her lumbar spine. It was approved. So I have no idea what’s going on in this portal business (I still made the patient come in for an appointment)
 
My staff signed up a frequent flier patient for a cervical ESI without asking me first and submitted an old note that talked about her lumbar spine. It was approved. So I have no idea what’s going on in this portal business (I still made the patient come in for an appointment)
Yeah...and my acute radiculopathy patient who can barely stand gets denied..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have gotten approvals for injections from WISER. . I do injections in the office and I do them in a hospital. We have gotten authorizations from wiser for either location prior to the procedures. Now I see I have been gettting denials on payments for all the hospital based injections but am getting payments for the office based ones. anyone else seeing this?
 
So I have gotten approvals for injections from WISER. . I do injections in the office and I do them in a hospital. We have gotten authorizations from wiser for either location prior to the procedures. Now I see I have been gettting denials on payments for all the hospital based injections but am getting payments for the office based ones. anyone else seeing this?
I do them in office as part of a hopd..business As usual, no issues with wiser
 
So I have gotten approvals for injections from WISER. . I do injections in the office and I do them in a hospital. We have gotten authorizations from wiser for either location prior to the procedures. Now I see I have been gettting denials on payments for all the hospital based injections but am getting payments for the office based ones. anyone else seeing this?
hmm....i will investigate
 
I went from 100% approval for procedures to 70% denials

They must not be slashing “waste” at the rate they want

I’m appealing one where they are mad I want to do an xray guided lumbar ESI for sciatica and a right GH joint injection at the same time. Because then “they know which injection actually helped.” I can’t imagine explaining to this old dude he has to come back twice just in case the sciatica was going to resolve after treating his shoulder arthritis.
 
I went from 100% approval for procedures to 70% denials

They must not be slashing “waste” at the rate they want

I’m appealing one where they are mad I want to do an xray guided lumbar ESI for sciatica and a right GH joint injection at the same time. Because then “they know which injection actually helped.” I can’t imagine explaining to this old dude he has to come back twice just in case the sciatica was going to resolve after treating his shoulder arthritis.
Don’t think I’ve ever done any neuroaxial procedure and a peripheral joint injection at the same time even before wiser. I was always told this absolutely can’t be done.

That being said, have had no denials since wiser because everyone comes back multiple times for everything
 
Don’t think I’ve ever done any neuroaxial procedure and a peripheral joint injection at the same time even before wiser. I was always told this absolutely can’t be done.

That being said, have had no denials since wiser because everyone comes back multiple times for everything
I’ve done both for Medicare patients and just took the 50% pay cut for the joint injection. It’s such a waste of time and money to bring someone back twice for two obviously different body parts
 
The p2p overturned the denial. It’s a mixed bag of who you get. The last one was a total B and acted like I was up to no good.
 
WISeR denied a repeat ESI the other day because there is nothing in the note stating that we made the patient's PCP is aware we do steroid injections on the patient.
That is insane. Can you send that to me privately redacted? I want to let our societies know.

We cant sit back about this kind of stuff.
 
IMG_0987.jpeg

IMG_0988.jpeg

IMG_0989.jpeg

Looks like Abuse is back on the menu boys!
 
Fantastic! I got my DME exemption effective July 1st. I will have to look for this. I haven’t had very many denials that stood up through p2p with wiser.
 
Fantastic! I got my DME exemption effective July 1st. I will have to look for this. I haven’t had very many denials that stood up through p2p with wiser.

I got a WISER exemption too




Hello!
We are pleased to inform you that you have been identified as a high-performing provider under the CMS Wasteful and Inappropriate Service Reduction (WISeR) Model. Based on your prior authorization history during the program’s initial assessment period, you have met the criteria for exemption under the WISeR Exemption Program.
What This Means for You
Effective July 6, 2026, you are exempt from prior authorization requirements and pre-payment review for all WISeR Select Items and Services. You do not need to submit prior authorization requests or obtain a Unique Tracking Number (UTN) before providing covered services. Simply continue submitting claims through your normal process.
Your Eligibility
Exemption status was awarded based on review of your authorization submissions from February 1 through May 4, 2026. To qualify, providers were required to meet all of the following criteria:
At least 10 prior authorization submissions for WISeR Select Items and Services
A prior authorization affirmation rate of 90% or higher
No active exclusion under the CMS Medicare Exclusion List or the OIG List of Excluded Individuals/Entities
Duration of Exemption Status
Your exemption is effective for a minimum of one year beginning July 6, 2026. Exemption status will be evaluated on an ongoing basis. If your status changes at any future evaluation, you will receive written notice at least 60 days before any change takes effect.
What to Expect During Your Exemption Period
As a standard CMS program requirement, Cohere may send you up to 10 Additional Documentation Requests (ADRs) as part of a routine post-payment compliance review during your exemption year. This is not a reflection of any concern about your billing practices—it is a standard element of the WISeR program that applies to all exempt providers. You will receive further information about this process later in 2026.
No Action Required
You do not need to contact us or take any steps to activate your exemption. It will take effect automatically on July 6, 2026. If you have questions, please contact Cohere Health’s Provider Support team at (855) 430-6299 or via email [email protected].
Thank you for your commitment to delivering high-quality, medically appropriate care to Medicare beneficiaries in Texas. This recognition reflects the standard of practice you have consistently demonstrated.
Sincerely,
The Provider Success Team
Cohere Health
This notice is issued pursuant to requirements of the CMS Wasteful and Inappropriate Service Reduction (WISeR) Model under the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation (CMMI). Cohere Health is a WISeR Model Participant authorized to administer exemptions on behalf of CMS.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The patient presents with chronic lumbar radicular pain consistent with nerve root irritation confirmed by history, physical exam, and imaging that correlates with the affected level < >. The pain has persisted for more than 4 weeks in the last 3 months despite conservative therapy, including oral medications, physical therapy type exercises, and activity modification. Patient is part of an active home exercise program. Given the persistence of radicular symptoms and functional impairment (affecting standing and walking), pain scale scores, a fluoroscopic-guided epidural steroid injection is indicated to reduce nerve root inflammation, alleviate pain, and improve mobility.

Epidural plan: 4 or fewer sessions of this intervention are anticipated in the next 12 months and response will be monitored using the pain scale and communicated with patient's primary care physician where appropriate.


*******
Adjusted where appropriate, of course
 
I think they just haven’t gotten to all of the accounts yet. I personally haven’t had anything denied through wiser that I recall. Maybe 3 proceeded after p2p. I don’t think my partner has very many if any denied either.
 
This is directly from the LCD and directly from the words that the WISER apparatus are looking for. It goes into every one of my notes where an epidural is being requested. As long as your note has this in it in some fashion, there should be minimal denials because this is directly from the LCD and directly from their guidance of what they are looking for. You obviously have to remove the portions that are not applicable.



Notes: 1. ESI is requested using fluoroscopy at the following levels: ________

If bilateral TFESI the patient has the following:
- Central disc herniation affecting both roots
-Bilateral foraminal stenosis

2. The history, physical, and imaging studies demonstrate radiculopathy and radicular pain that is severe enough to greatly impact this patient's functional capacity and includes pain that is ___/10.

3. Patient has had pain greater than 4 weeks and has failed noninvasive conservative treatments that include:
Chiropractic
Physical Therapy
Home Exercise
NSAIDS
Massage
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Other Medications

4. Patient is taking part in an active home rehab program.
5. It is anticipated that patient will require 4 or less ESI treatments in the rolling 12 month period.
 
Yes but they use that and the KCD to make decisions.

The most frustrating thing is that there are no humans to talk with. It's all AI.

I had a patient who has has 3 or 4 RFAs and always gets about 12 months of relief. About 4 months in, she reported 6/10 pain related to a fall that she had that was clearly documented. The AI denied it because it said that she did not have 50 percent pain relief for at least six months. I resubmitted with more explanation and it still denied. You can't call anyone. I resubmitted again and just removed the pain score with a note that pain score from spondylitis was 2/10 (which it was) and it approved.

That is my biggest issue. They don't have the manpower or the willingness to have humans to conduct peer to peer so we are talking to machines.
 
Yes but they use that and the KCD to make decisions.

The most frustrating thing is that there are no humans to talk with. It's all AI.

I had a patient who has has 3 or 4 RFAs and always gets about 12 months of relief. About 4 months in, she reported 6/10 pain related to a fall that she had that was clearly documented. The AI denied it because it said that she did not have 50 percent pain relief for at least six months. I resubmitted with more explanation and it still denied. You can't call anyone. I resubmitted again and just removed the pain score with a note that pain score from spondylitis was 2/10 (which it was) and it approved.

That is my biggest issue. They don't have the manpower or the willingness to have humans to conduct peer to peer so we are talking to machines.
yes, you have to leave out relevant and helpful clinical info to get things approved. its madness
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad