Dean's Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEM1234

Reaction score
What all is supposed to go in a dean's letter? And if I did community college, then a 4 year university, then my master's somewhere else, do I need one from all 3 schools?

Sorry if this is a silly question. I didn't have a premed advisor and honestly didn't know this was a thing until seeing it in IUSM's application portal.

Members don't see this ad.

IUSM requires a
  • Dean of Students evaluation form
I presume that the school provides the form (perhaps with the secondary). My guess would be that the Dean of Students of your undergrad institution would complete the form but I wouldn't just assume that; if I were unsure after reading the instructions that are sent with the form, I'd contact IUSM for clarification.

Generally, these forms would want to know if you are and have always been in good academic standing and if you have been the subject of any institutional actions (e.g. you were placed on probation, suspended, given a warning, etc) due to academic or behavioral issues.

It is likely that you'd have to sign a waiver at some point to permit your Dean to release this protected information about you to IUSM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
IUSM requires a
  • Dean of Students evaluation form
I presume that the school provides the form (perhaps with the secondary). My guess would be that the Dean of Students of your undergrad institution would complete the form but I wouldn't just assume that; if I were unsure after reading the instructions that are sent with the form, I'd contact IUSM for clarification.

Generally, these forms would want to know if you are and have always been in good academic standing and if you have been the subject of any institutional actions (e.g. you were placed on probation, suspended, given a warning, etc) due to academic or behavioral issues.

It is likely that you'd have to sign a waiver at some point to permit your Dean to release this protected information about you to IUSM.
Thank you! I didn't see a form, but some pages haven't been loading in the graduate application portal so it might be there somewhere. I will look again and then call them on Monday if I still can't find it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went through the process last year when I interviewed with IU. From what I remember, you'll contact your school (usually the registrars office) and they should have basically a form letter you can send on your behalf that gets signed by the dean. IU doesn't provide anything except maybe instructions on where to send it.

Call your registrars office on Monday and they'll be able to help!

Reactions: 2 users
I went through the process last year when I interviewed with IU. From what I remember, you'll contact your school (usually the registrars office) and they should have basically a form letter you can send on your behalf that gets signed by the dean. IU doesn't provide anything except maybe instructions on where to send it.

Call your registrars office on Monday and they'll be able to help!
Thanks! I contacted everyone Friday (attended a few different schools between community college, bachelor's, master's, and prereqs) and one place has already gotten back to me and told me to send them the form, sign the release of information, and they will fill it out.

I guess I could call IU on Monday to see what info is included in theirs.

Reactions: 1 users
Replying to myself, just in case anyone else finds this thread. It was a few days after I submitted the other parts of the application and my graduate application before they sent the forms.