Dean's Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dogjam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I know this topic has been addressed a little bit, but for those of you who have gone through this process, do interview committees actually use/read the Dean's Letter? I understand that it's supposed to fill in all these intangibles from the application, but do schools actually read through it?

I ask because a rad-onc at my school once mentioned that he just looked at the one special word (outstanding, excellent, etc.) and then moved on.

DJ

Members don't see this ad.

Totally dependent on the program, PD and/or person reading your application.

To echo Gfunk, it'll vary, but I know with 100% certainty that there are programs that read it pretty carefully.

Last edited:
From what I was able to gather, it depended on the program. There were a few places that commented on the positive 3rd year comments I had gotten. One place actually mentioned to me that having a strong 3rd year clinical performance and positive comments showed them that I could work with a wide range of people and perform well in a team setting. Another place mentioned that they wanted to see where applicants stood in their class. So, it depends.