Dean's list worth a space on AMCAS ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kraazy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't really have any special awards and honors besides being on the Dean's list my freshman year, and some minor scholarships. My school got rid of the Dean's list after that so I couldn't even claim it for all 4 years, even though I made the grades. I feel like this doesn't add anything that's not already in my GPA, and I'd rather use teh EC space on AMCAS to discuss my extracurriculars.

I guess I've almost made up my mind on this one, but I crave the SDN seal of approval...

Members don't see this ad.

Put it on there. It's an achievement and you've earned it. Not everyone can say they've been on Dean's List for a semester.

If you have an extra space in your EC section, why not? But if you're looking to cut something out because you've done too many other fascinating things in your life, then I think you can sacrifice the Dean's list distinction.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really have any special awards and honors besides being on the Dean's list my freshman year, and some minor scholarships. My school got rid of the Dean's list after that so I couldn't even claim it for all 4 years, even though I made the grades. I feel like this doesn't add anything that's not already in my GPA, and I'd rather use teh EC space on AMCAS to discuss my extracurriculars.

I guess I've almost made up my mind on this one, but I crave the SDN seal of approval...

I had the same struggle last year. I did what you are leaning to do: ignore the dean's list award and use the spot for an EC. A student with a 3.5 at a school without a dean's list is better off than a student with a 3.4 who earned eight semesters of dean's list awards.

Your GPA speaks for itself. Dean's lists are for bumper stickers. Stick with your gut and leave it off.

I had the same struggle last year. I did what you are leaning to do: ignore the dean's list award and use the spot for an EC. A student with a 3.5 at a school without a dean's list is better off than a student with a 3.4 who earned eight semesters of dean's list awards.

Your GPA speaks for itself. Dean's lists are for bumper stickers. Stick with your gut and leave it off.

My sentiments exactly...

If you are running out of room why not make a box called "Academic Awards" and list everything in one place...or are you planning on using ALL the boxes for other more important ECs...

If you graduated with a 4.0, would you put summa cum laude as a separate honor?

Leave it off and put something meaningful. Even if you don't fill the EC section, leave it off...

I wouldn't give it its own space. I'm putting my Dean's/President's list in one spot with all of my other university-based scholarships. "university Awards and Honors" if you will. If you need the space don't put it down.

I put 3 semesters of President's List (4.0 GPA that semester) simply because I wanted to highlight that my recent coursework was all 4.0 material. This is in contrast to my prior 3.1 GPA and crappy coursework which only ended up being a 3.4 after all those 4.0 semesters.

If you have space, put it. Can't hurt.

If you have essentially any other worthy award/EC to put in that last slot, then leave Dean's List off.

please say you are joking
:thumbdown: