SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Dean's list worth a space on AMCAS ECs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Kraazy, May 7, 2007.

1. Kraazy

Kraazy 7+ Year Member

Feb 17, 2007
    MDApps:
    I don't really have any special awards and honors besides being on the Dean's list my freshman year, and some minor scholarships. My school got rid of the Dean's list after that so I couldn't even claim it for all 4 years, even though I made the grades. I feel like this doesn't add anything that's not already in my GPA, and I'd rather use teh EC space on AMCAS to discuss my extracurriculars.

I guess I've almost made up my mind on this one, but I crave the SDN seal of approval...

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. etngu

etngu The Ritual of Infinity 10+ Year Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Put it on there. It's an achievement and you've earned it. Not everyone can say they've been on Dean's List for a semester.

4. Surf Rx

Surf Rx 7+ Year Member

Sep 20, 2006
    If you have an extra space in your EC section, why not? But if you're looking to cut something out because you've done too many other fascinating things in your life, then I think you can sacrifice the Dean's list distinction.

5. emaj1n

emaj1n M1 2+ Year Member

Oct 16, 2006
    I had the same struggle last year. I did what you are leaning to do: ignore the dean's list award and use the spot for an EC. A student with a 3.5 at a school without a dean's list is better off than a student with a 3.4 who earned eight semesters of dean's list awards.

Your GPA speaks for itself. Dean's lists are for bumper stickers. Stick with your gut and leave it off.

6. Bubblehead-to-MD

Bubblehead-to-MD Emergency Blow! 5+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    My sentiments exactly...

7. Xotica

Xotica New Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 27, 2005
    If you are running out of room why not make a box called "Academic Awards" and list everything in one place...or are you planning on using ALL the boxes for other more important ECs...

8. JohnMadden

JohnMadden Political Refugee 2+ Year Member

Jan 11, 2007
    If you graduated with a 4.0, would you put summa cum laude as a separate honor?

Leave it off and put something meaningful. Even if you don't fill the EC section, leave it off...

9. OncDoc19

OncDoc19 MS4 7+ Year Member

Feb 6, 2007
    I wouldn't give it its own space. I'm putting my Dean's/President's list in one spot with all of my other university-based scholarships. "university Awards and Honors" if you will. If you need the space don't put it down.

10. LifetimeDoc

LifetimeDoc EM Attending Physician 10+ Year Member

Apr 30, 2006
    USA
    I put 3 semesters of President's List (4.0 GPA that semester) simply because I wanted to highlight that my recent coursework was all 4.0 material. This is in contrast to my prior 3.1 GPA and crappy coursework which only ended up being a 3.4 after all those 4.0 semesters.

11. BigRedPremed

BigRedPremed Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 20, 2005
    If you have space, put it. Can't hurt.

If you have essentially any other worthy award/EC to put in that last slot, then leave Dean's List off.

12. riceman04

riceman04 10+ Year Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Los Angeles
    please say you are joking
    :thumbdown: