Dear "aprogramdirector"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chinnychin

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you finally clear up the question asked over and over on these boards and nobody has the answer is what goes on in a res. selection meeting. How does the voting or selection go-what criteria are used. Are interviews scored objectively and do they count much? Enlighten us!

Members don't see this ad.

It's really an unanswerable question, as I expect that programs use many different criteria. We review all applications and "score" them based upon medical school performance, USMLE's, etc. Then, during the interview, another score is created about how well the interview day went and how well we think the applicant will fit in. This score moves people around a bit.

We use our selection committee meeting to look at the applications with "issues", and decide whether or not to rank. However, I expect other programs may do things differently.

It's really an unanswerable question, as I expect that programs use many different criteria. We review all applications and "score" them based upon medical school performance, USMLE's, etc. Then, during the interview, another score is created about how well the interview day went and how well we think the applicant will fit in. This score moves people around a bit.

We use our selection committee meeting to look at the applications with "issues", and decide whether or not to rank. However, I expect other programs may do things differently.

So.....

Is it really really true.....

Does the committee.... sit at a table...

and...

makes fun of the @!$@!$$!@%#! pictures the applicants have to submit?

*curses his lack of photogenic powers!*
scared.gif

In one program I interviewed with, the PD told me, I think told all others too, that a score will be given to each candidate in the interview date (from attendings as well as residents). The PD will calculate the average of interview score and in excel file that average in addition to USMLE scores will sort the applicants (So, step2 is mandatory to rank applicants in that program). The 2 internal applicants with highest score will be the first and second ones in the rank whatever their position in the file. The dept chair will sign this list and that is it. (any applicant with major concern, will not be ranked). From my opinion personal factors play major role in most programs e.g. internal graduates vs externals, AMG vs FMG, if you did rotations in the program, LOR from a big name in the program, your style will fit in the program and the city or not, how you express your interest in the place and other PERSONAL factors. Most programs also include backup candidates at the end of the list in case.

So.....

Is it really really true.....

Does the committee.... sit at a table...

and...

makes fun of the @!$@!$$!@%#! pictures the applicants have to submit?

*curses his lack of photogenic powers!*
scared.gif

I'm glad I had my photos taken at Glamour Shots!