Dear DropkickMurphy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

football56

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi DropkickMurphy,

I would like to share with you some information about myself. It is hard to describe in words what I like the most about the field of genetic counseling. I’m really drawn to the aspects of taking a family history, educating the family about the disorder they or their children have, and the genetic testing aspects of genetic counseling. I really enjoy the subject of genetics, especially genetic disorders.

When I first started to learn about genetic syndromes five years ago, I just knew right then that I wanted to do develop a career that involves working with genetic syndromes. Therefore, I spent some time trying to decide if a MD/PhD, or a PhD in Molecular genetics, or if genetic counseling was the best fit. After working in the hospital for a few years, I didn’t feel the urge of wanting to become an MD but still wanted to work with genetic syndromes (be it research or with patients). I then had to decide if I should get a PhD, or get a masters in genetic counseling, or get a PhD and a masters in genetic counseling.

After learning in great detail what it is like being a research scientist and spending a summer internship at a prestigious lab and university, I didn’t like the thought of spending a good six years in graduate school, then having to do two postdocs, and then try to find a job and have the rest of my life dependent on getting grants to do the research and pay the lab employees when it is so hard to get funding with the cuts in funding (and pray to god that I get tenured). I also didn’t like spending all day in the lab and not having the chance to interact with other people. Doing the bench research was exciting and was a great experience though.

After figuring out what my career goals are, I looked back on what I have learned from shadowing genetic counselors, researching the field of genetic counseling, shadowing clinical geneticist, doing the bench research, and meeting with other genetic counselors, I was then able to decide that going into the genetic counseling field is the best option.

I’m now at the point where I’m gaining experience in seeing how the genetic counseling process is done for prenatal, cancer, pediatrics, teratology, and adult genetics. I’m also in the process of learning how genetic counselors organize a private practice.

I would like to share with you some of my career ambitions:

• Work full-time as a genetic counselor (not sure about the specialty yet).
• Research - coordinate genetic studies and report case studies
• Teaching - provide lectures for residents, medical students, genetic counseling students, and allied health care professionals.
• Private practice - which involves making contracts with physicians to see patients.
• Consultant – I would like to have the opportunity to speak with patients who have a genetic condition so they can learn about their condition since doctors don’t have time to really go into detail about their condition. Therefore, that patients could possibly improve their quality of life, have a good understanding of how the disorder they have developed (whether it be congenital, inherited, developed later in life, etc), and can take preventive measures with their health. I don’t know if this type of consultant work falls outside of the general role for what a genetic counselor does, but this is something I’m really interested in wanting to do.

Just for clarity, I was never a pre-med student. I have not even taken the MCAT or nor have I even taken some of the pre-med requirements. You and others can keep saying I’m a pre-med washout if that is what you need to make yourself feel better when you go to bed at night, I don’t care.

So have a good night and please be kind when you reapply to this thread, as I know you will anyways.

Peace! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
in before the lock! :pad:

How was this join date almost 2 years ago but the OP only has 11 posts???

i want to be part of SDN history so im posting here as well before this gets shut down

always fitting:

worf.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.