Dear Adcoms, Practitioners, and Medical Students on/were on Admissions Committees:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpoiledMilk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cannot speak for all medical school SDN applicants, but I really appreciate all the helpful advice from all SDNers, especially the anonymous ADCOMs, physicians, medical students on here. I am curious though.

Has any ADCOM, practicing physician, or medical students who are on/were on admissions committees ever come across an application that they suspect either a) they provided advice to on SDN or b) the applicant posted on SDN and received advice on the forum?

I suspect the chances are really, really remote, but on the chance that it has or will happen, will the advisor be offended if the applicant did not take the sound advice and went counter to it such that the app was adversely affected?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I suspect the chances are really, really remote, but on the chance that it has or will happen, will the advisor be offended if the applicant did not take the sound advice and went counter to it such that the app was adversely affected?
There's a story here...

Reactions: 1 user
I once had someone PM me over a weekend and ask if he should wear his military uniform (he was active duty military at the time) to an interview on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, I learned that I would be interviewing an applicant in the same branch of the service as the guy who PM'ed me. On Wednesday, he was wearing his uniform. He was admitted to every school that interviewed him. Superstar.

That's the only person I've ever given advice to that I've later recognized IRL.

Reactions: 6 users
I once had someone PM me over a weekend and ask if he should wear his military uniform (he was active duty military at the time) to an interview on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, I learned that I would be interviewing an applicant in the same branch of the service as the guy who PM'ed me. On Wednesday, he was wearing his uniform. He was admitted to every school that interviewed him. Superstar.

That's the only person I've ever given advice to that I've later recognized IRL.

Thank you for sharing @LizzyM!! In keeping with past advice regarding what I learned from my experiences, etc. based on this anecdote, I waited tables for many years in undergraduate and post-grad, so if I am lucky enough to snagged an interview, I will seriously consider wearing my waiter uniform to the interview. :happy::p

PS--I am so old I had to google "IRL" :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users