Dear RPh, What is your current pay rate at your community pharmacy setting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tutam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Pharmacists,
Rite Aid in Southern CA pays staff RPh $68/hr. New RPh grad is now $60/hr. RPh pay rate is decreasing in the current market. What is your rate at your company?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
a new grad at rite aid nor-cal started at 67. SoCal has too many schools...

Reactions: 1 user
I thought it would be interesting to put this in a cost of living calculator and find an equivalent salary in a different major city. If you moved from LA to Charlotte and were making $60 an hour in LA, you would need to make 85k a year to have an equivalent standard of living:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Mattyhenhen. You are right. $8 difference is a lot while we all have lots of living expenses.

a new grad at rite aid nor-cal started at 67. SoCal has too many schools...
So the rate is different depending on regions right. I thought within a company, the rate would be the same. Nor-Cal cost of living is more expensive.

So the rate is different depending on regions right. I thought within a company, the rate would be the same. Nor-Cal cost of living is more expensive.
It varies by district and even within the district. The DM decides your pay rate ultimately within the payscale cap. DM that is in your favor will get you the top tier pay. Nor-cal can be expensive but it can be very cheap if you room-share or look around.

I thought it would be interesting to put this in a cost of living calculator and find an equivalent salary in a different major city. If you moved from LA to Charlotte and were making $60 an hour in LA, you would need to make 85k a year to have an equivalent standard of living:eek:
and I wouldn't say Charlotte is cheap -

Honestly, I know that's the set 'union' rate, but no one is getting paid that low in southern California. I have access to every rite aid pharmacist salary in California and I can tell you that most new hires are well above the union set minimum.

While I don't look at lowest paid rph cuz it's not important to me, the top two rph in California are at 05800 and 05814.

Last edited:
Honestly, I know that's the set 'union' rate, but no one is getting paid that low in southern California. I have access to every rite aid pharmacist salary in California and I can tell you that most new hires are well above the union set minimum.

While I don't look at lowest paid rph cuz it's not important to me, the top two rph in California are at 05800 and 05814.
Do you know how much for those top 2? ..i guess the highest pay for high volume store

I was getting $57/hour as PIC when I worked retail

Members don't see this ad :)

California is a strange place man..... you guys get a few bucks more, different rules to play by......etc. Whats up with california? your like a whole little island over there!

Do you know how much for those top 2? ..i guess the highest pay for high volume store
$78+ for #1 does about 3500. I was getting $74 pic for a 1600 store.

Doesn't even come close to my 5000 but I'm at cvs now and getting paid less.

Last edited:

Wow good pay. CVS is very busy too. Are you PIC at CVS now? If you have more Tech help , it will be helpful n less stressful.

Wow good pay. CVS is very busy too. Are you PIC at CVS now? If you have more Tech help , it will be helpful n less stressful.

I'm at 71 now at cvs as manager.

Which state did you work as PIC before? Walgreens? CVS?

Texas and Kroger. The reason I was getting so little pay was probably cause I was a new grad. One year after becoming a pharmacist, I became PIC and the way Kroger pays their PIC is you basically get a flat $5K pay increase. So since I've only been working there for a year as a new grad, my pay was already low to begin with. Also, since we are salaried and our work weeks were based on 42 hours a week, that makes my hourly wage less.

That is insane for Bakersfield! I am at a 2000 store and I get 73

Texas and Kroger. The reason I was getting so little pay was probably cause I was a new grad. One year after becoming a pharmacist, I became PIC and the way Kroger pays their PIC is you basically get a flat $5K pay increase. So since I've only been working there for a year as a new grad, my pay was already low to begin with. Also, since we are salaried and our work weeks were based on 42 hours a week, that makes my hourly wage less.
Salaried for PIC. So your staff RPh on hourly pay? My company have PIC on hourly pay but no Union benefits, and higher health insurance pay. If your house range in Texas is not expensive, that pay is good. Houses in CA is very expensive.

Salaried for PIC. So your staff RPh on hourly pay? My company have PIC on hourly pay but no Union benefits, and higher health insurance pay. If your house range in Texas is not expensive, that pay is good. Houses in CA is very expensive.
600,000 for a decent house in nor-cal.

Both staff and PIC pharmacists are salaried. $57/hour is the equivalent if you divide my annual salary by the scheduled work hours per year I was required to work (42 hours per week). Though, I worked way more hours that I was scheduled and was not paid for those hours since I am salaried. Majority of retail pharmacists are salaried here cause the companies know that we usually come early and leave later than scheduled to catch up on the work.

Texas has a good cost of living. You get a lot of house for your money, but property taxes are a little higher than other states because we don't have state income tax.

Right now I'm paying my pharmacists $50/hr but I project that to go down over the next 10 years. The real number you should be watching is technician pay going up. I'm prepared to pay $25/hr for a clinical pharm tech to help me do CCM at some physician clinics.