Current Market Going Rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonancydrew

Reaction score
I was one of those pharmacists who succumbed to the saturated market when the family had to relocate in 2016. I've spent the last 5 years out of pharmacy but working in another field. While in pharmacy, I spent over 13 years in both hospital (9 years) and retail with Wag (3 years as a PIC, 1year as staff RPh, 2.5 years as intern). When my current contract runs out in a few months, I am looking to rejoin retail thanks to the pandemic reopening the market here in northern New England.

My question is, I have zero clue what the going rate in retail is anymore. I have basic verbal offers from both CVS and Wag with no specifics because it is a bit far out before I am available though I was told they would be willing to write them up now, they both felt the offers would improve in the next few months (I don't really believe this) but perhaps even more openings will surface, who knows.

Can anyone fill me in so I can figure out if I'm being played when I do look at official offers? Is the state of pharmacy likely to change as far as offers go in just a couple of months? How much negotiation is plausible in this state of affairs with the retail market?

Thanks kindly.

Members don't see this ad.

I was one of those pharmacists who succumbed to the saturated market when the family had to relocate in 2016. I've spent the last 5 years out of pharmacy but working in another field. While in pharmacy, I spent over 13 years in both hospital (9 years) and retail with Wag (3 years as a PIC, 1year as staff RPh, 2.5 years as intern). When my current contract runs out in a few months, I am looking to rejoin retail thanks to the pandemic reopening the market here in northern New England.

My question is, I have zero clue what the going rate in retail is anymore. I have basic verbal offers from both CVS and Wag with no specifics because it is a bit far out before I am available though I was told they would be willing to write them up now, they both felt the offers would improve in the next few months (I don't really believe this) but perhaps even more openings will surface, who knows.

Can anyone fill me in so I can figure out if I'm being played when I do look at official offers? Is the state of pharmacy likely to change as far as offers go in just a couple of months? How much negotiation is plausible in this state of affairs with the retail market?

Thanks kindly.
walgreens is currently working on raising their starting pay to be more competitive (they are currently paying 47-49 per hour to new hires). Most retail spots are paying 60-70 per hour. 50k sign on bonus are pretty common nowadays even in New England. This is due to atrocious working conditions.

Reactions: 1 user
with 9 years of hospital experience why would you even consider retail?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When did you last work in retail because the work environment started getting bad around I 2012 and has dropped off a cliff the past two years. Stay out of retail if you value your family and mental health.

Reactions: 1 user
When did you last work in retail because the work environment started getting bad around I 2012 and has dropped off a cliff the past two years. Stay out of retail if you value your family and mental health.
I left retail about 2008, left hospital 2017.