Death Rate Increasing for US Middle-aged White Males

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

smalltownpsych

Psychologist
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ersal-death-rates-rise-for-middle-aged-whites
http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-death-rate-is-rising-for-middle-aged-whites-1446499495
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/03/h...-middle-aged-white-americans-study-finds.html
I saw this news today and thought it might be interesting for forum participants since the factors that they reported are increasing are suicide and substance use both of which are issues of concern for clinical psychologists. I saw the original article linked in one of the stories, as well. I was particularly interested in some of the data on opiates and chronic pain as I am seeing that in clinical practice more and more every day.
 
very interesting, its still worse to be a middle aged black man but the death rate gulf is smaller and heading in opposite directions.

it is interesting that once white people start dying of drugs, alcohol, or suicide then the media cares.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad