Debate: Euthanasia (Pharmacist POV)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why does a pharmacist have to become an accomplice to helping someone kill themselves??

Isnt it enough to just take away their pain so they can do it themselves?

We are around to prescribe drugs to help people, not kill them.

Members don't see this ad.

Very good. We have laws that limit or force actions.

Sure.

The law disagrees with you.

The law does not disagree with me, however science does.

Ugh..when your ass gets addicted and you wind up becoming a leech on society, YES it ****S with MY freedom to NOT pay for your sorry ass.

You already pay taxes, my friend. More people on welfare does not raise your taxes by an amount significant for you to notice. Kinda reminds me of the people who make $30 K a year and worry about tax breaks, as if they will actually benefit from a small margin cut.

We already have programs that help "leeches" that do not interfere with your idea of freedom lol

There are a million ways they can off themselves without putting my pursuit of happiness in jeopardy.

Oh please, doing what the OP said does NOT put your pursuit of happiness in jeopardy. How selfish do you have to be?

I never said anything about HIV or Hep, but nice straw man (you may want to look that up too).

I did. I'm talking about needles and doing things that people for some reason find immoral which aren't. It's not a straw man at all.

Don't give me a lecture on logical falacies, you violate post hoc ergo propter hoc (hope that's right, my latin isn't superior) down below.

[YOUTUBE]6bVa6jn4rpE[/YOUTUBE]

What the heck does this have to do with this argument? That guy shouldn't have been tasered for asking a question. You think his question caused him to be tasered? See above statement.

Why is it that the people who preach morality are generally immoral?

Your ignorance is exhausting. I truly thought I was getting somewhere when you finally conceded laws are in place to curb behaviors, but then you throw on the skis as if your in the winter olympics.

The video is in reference to freedom of speech and your claim there are no laws imposed upon it.

You're just wrong, wrong, wrong and I am tired of you.

Hell, you don't even know how to use post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Members don't see this ad :)
The video is in reference to freedom of speech and your claim there are no laws imposed upon it.

You're just wrong, wrong, wrong and I am tired of you.

Hell, you don't even know how to use post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Your video proves absolutely nothing besides that asking a question can get you tazed. You don't even know the premise behind a post hoc fallacy.

It's a shame that ignorance like this is allowed to be spread among so many people, it's almost something to cry about.

I hate those suicide bastards. If you want to die, go f*** youselves. Don't go to doctors or pharmacists and take them down with you unless you need help to get out of it. Since this country has so many lawyers, if I know the drug is for suicide I would just refuse to fill that script and save my sorry ass.

What if a terminally ill patient were really scared to jump off a cliff or die through other means? I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with wanting to be euthanized peacefully and painlessly; we're all afraid of death, some more than others, and a few who like going comfortably.

What if a terminally ill patient were really scared to jump off a cliff or die through other means? I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with wanting to be euthanized peacefully and painlessly; we're all afraid of death, some more than others, and a few who like going comfortably.

Well I never said anything about not allowing them to die peacefully. My point is clear that I don't like to be involved with the law after spending time and money thru school. I want to spend the rest of my life helping other people that will certainly benefit from my service. If you want to help them, be my guest, I have no objection to that.

I've sat off to the side and watched this discussion. Sparda, thanks for bringing it up. It is a legal and ethical (despite what TXPharmDStudent says) situation that has come up in the past and will come up in the future for many of us.

In the situation that was presented, I would have to agree it is a violation of law (just about everywhere except Oregon) and the pharmacist should refrain from participating. There a number of problems with the case presented, not the least of which is the directness of the physician in announcing the fact he is going to murder his patient or assist his patient in committing suicide.

Since I have been in practice longer than most of you, I can tell you it will never be that direct. I did once have a situation where a patient with ALS who was in excruciating discomfort was given IV morphine at the end of his life. I am certain the morphine contributed to his demise, but at the same time the treatment was palliative as well as fatal.

Personally, I am opposed to euthanasia for a number of reasons, not the least of which is who decides what life is no longer worth living? This is a philosophical position. I would never use my position as health professional to force my views on anyone else. If consulted I would express them. I would not report the physician in this case and I would not dispense the prescription.

The rest of the thread is just plain wacko.......

TXPharmDStudent: This is mostly directed at you. You have strong ideas and that is great. You express them poorly. Most are not well thought out and followed to their logical conclusion would lead to a anarchy. Others are just plain silly.....

First, let's dispense with your "don't force your religion on me" argument. So let's get this straight. In this society we debate issues and come to a consensus. We argue different positions and one side will prevail. Because my ideas are based on my religious tradition I forfeit my right to express them? You argue for X based on what you believe and I argue Y based on what I believe and whataver argument prevails in society that is what society expresses at a given time. I didn't force anything on you.

You argument against morals and ethics is a recipe for disaster. Even atheists find the need for a moral code they just don't base it on God, there are number of great threads at Free Thought and Rationalism Discussion Board (used to be called Internet Infidels). In your view, Hitler was right to kill the Jews. After all they were vermin, less than human and therefore he was aiding German Society and the world by exterminating them. In your world view there is no right and wrong, only personal preference. By the way, it was almost universally religious people that fought for end of slavery and equal rights in this country:
87450235_a80d2b55c5.jpg

Second from the right is Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel and in the Center is Rev. Martin Luther King.

Your ideas on human behavior are bizarre and uninformed by fact and simple observation. Human beings kill all of the time. That's what they do that's what they have always done. Humans are the only animals that kill for pleasure. Other animals may fight and some might die, but murder is a human phenomenon. Yes it is perfectly acceptable to be angry when someone smashes your car. What it is not right, moral or ethical to so is to act on that anger and punch the person in the face.

You are correct, humans have emotions like envy, lust, greed. Yes we all get those feelings. It's our morality whether we believe it's from God, our hearts or some societal agreed upon code, that inhibits us from acting on those impulses. The difference between animals and humans is animals eat what they want, when they want and how they want. Animals have sex when they want, how they want and where they want. Humans don't. Just because you see a woman that you find attractive walking down the street and your impulses tell you to have sex with her, it's wrong to fling her to the sidewalk and mount her. That's morality pal.... And laws do regulate behavior. People make a decision to act a certain way because should they be caught they don't want to pay the consequences. Do some people ignore laws, sure they do, the jails are full of them.

Where does this freedom you speak about come from? Where do you get your rights? Your ideas are not fully thought out.

You by the way are the one who does not understand the post hoc ergo propter hoc logic. I'm sure you know it means, after it therefore because of it. The trouble is it's almost never so as the video points out. The person who was tased was not tased for asking a question. He as one of many people at that session that asked a question and the only one who got tased. Since many people asked questions and only one got tased we can assume it was not the act of asking the question that caused him to be tased. It was is selfish, narcissistic and disruptive behavior that caused him to be tased.

IIDB is awesome. The best forum on the internet. I've been on there since 2001.

And this thread is enjoyable. It's like watching a more insane and less skilled version of me. Keep it up youngin'. Some day you'll be able to argue that the sky is red and **** like I try to...:thumbup:

IIDB is awesome. The best forum on the internet. I've been on there since 2001.

And this thread is enjoyable. It's like watching a more insane and less skilled version of me. Keep it up youngin'. Some day you'll be able to argue that the sky is red and **** like I try to...:thumbup:

What's your name over there. Maybe we've argued before????? The trouble with IIDB is they are blinded by their own beliefs as silly as that seems...

I rarely post. I just like reading...

I agree. Highly entertaining. They had some kind of internal problem and lost members. They are fin to hang around, but they bore me easily....

Lets spark this one back up- just received a notification from the DC Board of Health. Any DC pharmacists here?

*** DEATH WITH DIGNITY PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT ***

Thoughts, concerns, moving to Canada??

DEATH WITH DIGNITY PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT
District of Columbia sent this bulletin at 07/17/2017 06:23 PM EDT
*** DEATH WITH DIGNITY PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT ***

July 17, 2017

The District of Columbia recently passed the “Death with Dignity Act of 2016” (DC Law 21-182 et seq.). The Death with Dignity law provides for District of Columbia residents, qualified with a terminal disease, to die in a humane and peaceful manner through the voluntary use of prescribed medications. The Death with Dignity program is now live and accepting registrations from qualified physicians and eligible patients.

The District of Columbia Department of Health (Department) is responsible for the implementation and regulation of the Death with Dignity program. The Department’s primary responsibilities include providing educational resources about the Death with Dignity process and clarifying the requirements for physicians, patients, and pharmacists. Other departments and agencies within the District of Columbia government have roles in the law’s implementation to facilitate coordination of services and emergency response if requested by a participating patient.

To fulfill its primary responsibilities, the Department of Health has launched a web site (Death with Dignity Act of 2016 | doh) with instructions and forms for terminally ill patients, physicians, and pharmacists who wish to participate in the program. Physicians, who choose to participate in the Death with Dignity program must be licensed in the District of Columbia, complete the physician training module (Death with Dignity Act 2016 Education Module | doh) and register via the physician portal on the Death with Dignity website. Patients who wish to participate must show proof of current residency in the District of Columbia, have a terminal illness, which is expected to result in death within six (6) months, complete the patient training module (Death with Dignity Act 2016 Education Module | doh) and meet other requirements as outlined in the patient training module.

The attending physician is responsible for delivering the prescription to a pharmacy located and registered in the District of Columbia. The prescription can be delivered personally or by telephone, facsimile, or electronically. The attending physician cannot give the prescription to the patient. Upon dispensing the covered medication, the pharmacist must immediately notify the attending physician electronically and email the Pharmacy Dispensing Record form to the Department of Health at [email protected].

The Death with Dignity Program is a new and detailed process. The Department encourages anyone with questions to review the materials on our website (Death with Dignity Act of 2016 | doh), call (202) 724-8800 or email: [email protected].

Just putting this out there because it's kind of important. In states with physician assisted suicide, there is a specific process that is followed. In Colorado, Oregon, and other states that allow physician assisted suicide, this script would be completely inappropriate to fill. You need the documentation of expected lifespan (<6 months) for the patient and of the patient's requests to the physician (usually 2 verbal and 1 written). It's also questionable, although not illegal, that the physician is using an opioid. A barbiturate is more typical.
Drugs used in physician-assisted death. - PubMed - NCBI

Members don't see this ad :)
California has similar rules. Interesting enough, someone is suing UCSF for failure to provide life ending medications, apparently physicians were ducking patient requests and the family said the decedent suffered miserably as a result.

Big questions about physician autonomy and whether the law merely allows a physician to participate or failure to act is essentially malpractice.

UCSF sued for refusing to help woman die

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Completely immoral and unjust. If this came to Texas I would absolutely not play a role in anything related to this.

Let's add some fire here.

I would without a doubt help someone with this request. Someone mentioned the person should just go kill themselves by jumping off a cliff. That can't happen when you're in a wheelchair and unable to do anything but whisper, cry and suffer. Think end stage heart disease, COPD, various cancers, stroke victims, individuals unable to ambulate / perform ADLs, the list goes on.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Some believe every life is sacred and that no one should be allowed to end their own life. It's very different when comparing a 15 year old boy who is suicidal to a patient who has failed cancer treatments for the Nth time. Not only is the latter patient suffering but the family is too. Also, think about the family members who may not live in close proximity. How much worse will they feel, literally- until they die, if their loved one dies and they're not around? End of Life options empower those with barely any power to perform the most meaningful, personal decision of their lives and have those that love them be around them when it ends.

These videos provide some insight into just one area

Go to 1 hour 9 minutes for the 2nd video - a good example of loves ones being able to say goodbye and share last moments together - it's powerful footage. I wonder how many people posting on this forum have lost a primary family member to an ugly disease and how they feel about this option. For those of you posting "no I wouldn't" and have yet to experience the death of someone you love, that's literally like sending a person who has never had alcohol attend an AA meeting and perform a lecture on sobriety. I don't blame the prudes... I mean pharmacists... wait I mean people for sticking to their "belief" system, which is probably faith based if you're denying a patient this request and really just what their parents believe.

If you deny someone the ability to carry out their own decision to end their life, you're being awfully selfish and arrogant, thinking you have the authority to decide over them and also for making such an important decision for the requester null and void. Regardless, it's a controversial subject and it will be interesting to see how the landscape changes over the next 10-30 years in regards to this.

Oregon licensed pharmacist here but don't practice in the state currently.

My understanding is that if a pharmacist doesn't want to fill it, there is no law compelling them to (that I know of...)

I also believe that it wouldn't take very long to find a pharmacist who would fill it...

My personal feelings on the practice are in the end, immaterial.

Completely immoral and unjust. If this came to Texas I would absolutely not play a role in anything related to this.
How is it "unjust"? Would you feel more comfortable if they gave you a lethal dose of poison, too?

How is it "unjust"? Would you feel more comfortable if they gave you a lethal dose of poison, too?

It's unjust for a government, who has the duty to protect life and liberty, to allow assisted suicide. It's morally wrong. Some say that this opinion is selfish but they have no right to say that while supporting something so morally bankrupt as this. It's pure evil.

It's unjust for a government, who has the duty to protect life and liberty, to allow assisted suicide. It's morally wrong. Some say that this opinion is selfish but they have no right to say that while supporting something so morally bankrupt as this. It's pure evil.
The government doesn't have the duty to protect life. They have a duty to protect the right to life. By forcing life upon everyone, they are impeding liberty.

The government doesn't have the duty to protect life. They have a duty to protect the right to life. By forcing life upon everyone, they are impeding liberty.

I completely disagree with you. The government has a duty to protect life and liberty and neither of those duties impede on one another. If you can't see that then we're not going to agree on anything regarding the topic of assisted suicide.

I completely disagree with you. The government has a duty to protect life and liberty and neither of those duties impede on one another. If you can't see that then we're not going to agree on anything regarding the topic of assisted suicide.
Here's a nonsense extreme example I'd like to get your take on:

So, in a sci-fi "brain in a jar hooked up to a mic and speaker" scenario, do you think the brain should be fed nutrients forever regardless of their desire to end their life or intractable pain they describe?

Here's a nonsense extreme example I'd like to get your take on:

So, in a sci-fi "brain in a jar hooked up to a mic and speaker" scenario, do you think the brain should be fed nutrients forever regardless of their desire to end their life or intractable pain they describe?

That is a nonsense scenario not worthy of a response. Tell us what point you're trying to make and we can go from there.

So, the question for me is not of life and liberty, but the scenarios where both are disrespected. So, we don't have a problem as the US Government curtailing or revoking liberty to the ill (those tuberculosis and leprosy/Hansen's Disease laws were enforced through the 1970s). The old justification for state intervention of suicide was that a suicidal person was mentally ill, and a mentally ill person does not necessarily possess the "sound mind and judgment" to make rational judgments. That jurisprudence has been questioned repeatedly, because, how could you be in a state where you are not terminally ill when euthanasia is being considered? If the state values mental illness more than autonomy, the patient has no right to commit suicide because the state of mind precludes such a decision. If the state values autonomy more than mental illness (or relatedly, that suicidal ideation is not always mental illness), the patient does have some claim to a right to die and a pathway is determined.

I'm not quite anti-psychiatry, but I'm quite familiar with profession's effects of the DSM on medical judgments on how treatment policy has been carried out. The VA through the 00's paid for conversion therapy for homosexuals (we still are dealing with some of the bills). I honestly think that suicidal ideation is evolving where we distinguish between the mentally ill and the "rational" decision that there are states that are worse than death. (And yes, this is explicitly dealt with in terms of punishments, we forbid state punishments that are "cruel and unusual" as death is not necessarily the worst sentence possible without such a clause.)

Most of the laws with respect to probate and inheritance though work from the tradition that suicide is still an illegal action. For example, if I know that I'm going to euthanize myself, what prevents me deceiving a bank to give me a loan for $2M, immediately disburse the funds, and then die intestate without assets and just debts? I could see a creditor suing an euthanizing patient on grounds that euthanasia would be the ultimate "Gone To Texas" behavior in terms of fleeing debt and obligation. That's actually a scenario playing out in Oregon right now with Visa as a plaintiff. That's a realistic scenario to respond to, what happens if there is a selfish motive for discharging debt and obligation through euthanasia and correspondingly, can a creditor force a debtor when securitizing a loan to document a "no suicide" clause until the debt is paid and that clause is enforceable as a lien against the debtor's life (in other words, you're going to suffer until the bitter end unless you make good on the money I gave you)?

I do think the state does have a duty to preserve life more than just the right to life, because the person who would suffer most isn't necessarily themselves if they commit suicide, and those other people's claims on that life need to be respected (even if as banal as money). However, I'm open to the idea of euthanasia if the obligations otherwise are placated to some agreeable extent. Natural death has always been treated as an Act of God (you can't choose to live forever), but euthanasia certainly has agency in the legal sense that does merit additional considerations around the probate and care responsibility laws. I do not think that terminal patients are necessarily mentally ill for having suicidal ideation, and I believe that we have moved past 1950s psychiatry on the matter. That said, to make this a legal reality will create complicated scenarios for years to come (and yes, I do have the specific license endorsement in OR to do it in case the VA goes that way, current policy forbids the VA from participation at this point).

That is a nonsense scenario not worthy of a response. Tell us what point you're trying to make and we can go from there.
I don't see how preventing brain death without regard to to condition of the body, quality of life, level of distress, likelihood of recovery, or personal beliefs is anything but sadistic. Explain to me in the worst case reasonable scenario for those factors why the patient should not be allowed to choose to end their current life.

I don't see how preventing brain death without regard to to condition of the body, quality of life, level of distress, likelihood of recovery, or personal beliefs is anything but sadistic. Explain to me in the worst case reasonable scenario for those factors why the patient should not be allowed to choose to end their current life.

Somewhat clear cut anti position: Insanity or documented clear severe mental illness (history of predocumented mental illness especially depression before nonterminal diagnosis) should be a barrier. Why it isn't clear cut is that in the present day, these circumstances are worth evaluating, but this was the old jurisprudence that a person did not have the right to end their life at their liberty with clear agency.

Not so clear cut: Suffering to the point of insanity or "too medicated" to choose "rationally"

Really fuzzy: Motivation for nonmedical reasons (the loan scenario above)

Again, I am ok with euthanasia as a practice matter, but I really don't think the implementation is good at all. Just putting it out there that there are quite legitimate con positions that I can understand why assisted suicide/euthanasia is still banned as a practice.

The topic is about euthanasia, assisted suicide, or the false name of "death with dignity". There is a difference between saying "patients should not be allowed to choose to end their current life" and "the state should allow physicians to kill their patients only with their consent". The latter is pure evil.

The topic is about euthanasia, assisted suicide, or the false name of "death with dignity". There is a difference between saying "patients should not be allowed to choose to end their current life" and "the state should allow physicians to kill their patients only with their consent". The latter is pure evil.
Whose consent? What do you think we're talking about?

Last edited:

Are you saying that physician-assessed suicide is pure evil but regular suicide is not? How does getting the physician involved make it more evil?

Are you saying that physician-assessed suicide is pure evil but regular suicide is not? How does getting the physician involved make it more evil?

You don't see the evil in the state, who is supposed to be protecting life, allowing consensual murder? Take the suicide part out of it. You don't think the death of someone at the hands of another is more evil than self inflicted death?

Whose consent? What do you think we're talking about?

I will repeat it again: there is a difference between killing yourself and letting someone else end your life. Period.

I will repeat it again: there is a difference between killing yourself and letting someone else end your life. Period.
Who is ending someone else's life here? This is patients killing themselves using pharmaceuticals instead of drinking weed killer.

There are scenarios where being sedated are preferred over being conscious. Some are acute (during surgery), some are chronic. In my opinion, I would like some form of death if I were to be in a state of desiring unconsciousness for months.

As an example, being bedbound morbidly obese, in chronic pain due to pressure ulcers, burning extremities due to diabetic neuropathy, cramping with constant ostomy output or consider the opposite spectrum of bloated ileus, among a variety of other painful conditions. Mentally you can't recognize anyone, remember your name, forget where you are, or maybe struggle forming a simple thought and being conscious in this state is a fearful hell. A variety of conditions which bring about an ultimately severely negative conscious state.

Many cases like these arise despite optimal treatment, and the option of being unconscious is arguably preferable. When this state becomes chronic on the order of months, I would personally prefer some form of death - perhaps requesting it from a physician is the only option for some.

Who is ending someone else's life here? This is patients killing themselves using pharmaceuticals instead of drinking weed killer.

They can already do that. The point is that the state should not sanction this activity through physicians or other providers. That is evil.

You're in battle, your buddy is mortally wounded and asks you to finish them off, you wouldn't do it?

Nope. Evil.

They can already do that. The point is that the state should not sanction this activity through physicians or other providers. That is evil.
So, if a patient takes a bottle of ambien and chases it with a bottle of vodka, that's fine. Even though the doctor and pharmacist have no legal avoidance of liability, still fine. But taking a bottle of barbiturates and making sure the prescriber and pharmacist aren't penalized is evil? I don't think we will ever understand each other's point of view.

Why does a pharmacist have to become an accomplice to helping someone kill themselves??

Isnt it enough to just take away their pain so they can do it themselves?

We are around to prescribe drugs to help people, not kill them.

First off, the pharmacist doesn't prescribe drugs unless you are in a special position to do so. I assume, correct me if I'm wrong- that you're referring to the fact that "we are around to DISPENSE drugs."

Prescribing and dispensing are two different things. Now, if you meant to say dispense, you're nothing more than a checkpoint for healthcare in America (another assumption, correct me if I'm wrong). When a doctor writes a prescription, he or she doesn't hand the patient the drugs; a prescription (another checkpoint) is used before the patient can receive the medication. Normally it's from a pharmacist although everything is changing awfully fast (ie. e-rx. mail order fulfillment... never seeing or talking to a pharmacist, etc.). These checkpoints are here, in part, as a safety net. When you "dispense" digoxin, you are essentially giving a poison, which at a low dose and narrow therapeutic window, exerts a more positive (opposed to negative) effect that can help patients. At a high enough dose, the medication exerts a negative (toxic) effect and can kill the individual.

So when you say we are around to help people, what exactly does that mean? If a patient is suffering all day long, all night long, how does dispensing a medication that will end their suffering NOT help that patient? Truth be told, dispensing that life-ending medication/cocktail will amount to the largest "helpful" impact the patient will ever receive from a pharmacist.

You've probably done more harm as a pharmacist by filling prescriptions that were ultimately used by someone other than the individual prescribed (suicide). Can you control that? No. If you take the numbers of opioid related deaths last year, take a % of those that initially received the medication via RX, calculate the approximate number of prescriptions you checked last year, you can calculate the chance that you checked a prescription that ultimately resulted in someone's death. Some food for thought.

By the way, barbituates are no longer as accessible as they once were, making it more difficult to procure and use (in addition to costing over $3,500). Cocktails are now being used, which include a combination of readily-available medications, compounded into a liquid for the patient to ingest.

So, if a patient takes a bottle of ambien and chases it with a bottle of vodka, that's fine. Even though the doctor and pharmacist have no legal avoidance of liability, still fine. But taking a bottle of barbiturates and making sure the prescriber and pharmacist aren't penalized is evil? I don't think we will ever understand each other's point of view.

You change your positions more than a porn star. Do you support physicians being allowed to discuss and actively plan end of life care? If a physician wrote a cocktail for a patient with the goal of patient death, would you support that? If the answer is yes, that is evil. It has no place in our society.

It's a tricky topic. Since I don't believe in an afterlife, I tend to think that some existence is better than no existence. I certainly don't speak for everyone though, and I feel there is value in respecting an individual's right to choice when it comes to their body and their life.

It is difficult to argue for physician assisted suicide in a manner that does not also support suicide in a healthy 24 year old. You may say that the burden of life can outweigh its value, that these are the cases targeted by physician assisted suicide. It is a pretty subjective measure; a healthy person could believe the same thing about their life. As much as I value a patient's right to choose, in the case of suicide, autonomy and dignity can bleed into questions of depression and mental illness.

I support death with dignity in theory. I think I will need to encounter it before I know how I feel about it in practice.

You change your positions more than a porn star. Do you support physicians being allowed to discuss and actively plan end of life care? If a physician wrote a cocktail for a patient with the goal of patient death, would you support that? If the answer is yes, that is evil. It has no place in our society.
That was my understanding of your point of view, not my own. Sorry for being unclear.

We disagree.

What do you object to really? Immoral? Unjust? Is this a religious view? This is really a great deal more complicated then you let on, with varying shades of gray depending on the actual situation. Do you have a thought out philosophy?

Where do you get your morals from?

What if your morals don't coincide with my morals? How do we as a society decide?

Can a patient decide to end his own life? What can be done to assist him or her? Anything?

End of life discussions should be had. With family members, with physicians, with social workers, with clergy. Not all end of life discussions are about suicide. This is not a bad thing. What measures do you want to take?

Is a DNR moral?

It's immoral (which I believe it is in some cases) is just not a good enough answer. It's the five year old's answer "Cause I said so!"

It's an issue that is not going to go away and everyone of us should have an answer to the questions I listed above because unless you are going to practice for 15 more minutes this issue is something you are going to face all the time. I predict this will be legal in many states before too long.

I don't think you can give a blanket answer. Each situation will merit some thought and the response may be different depending on the situation.

What do you object to really? Immoral? Unjust? Is this a religious view? This is really a great deal more complicated then you let on, with varying shades of gray depending on the actual situation. Do you have a thought out philosophy?

Where do you get your morals from?

Of course everything in a Democratic society will come down to a vote with majority winning (barring a constitutional challenge). Maybe one day we'll decide as a people that life isn't worth protecting? The only certain thing in life is that nothing is certain. My morals come from the simple belief that this is the only life we have to live and it must be protected by society. Since we have decided that we want something called a "government" to manage our way of life, their duty is to protect life. This is not to be denied. But we as humans have free will. We can continue to live life or we can end it but since the government has a duty to protect life, they have no right to aid in the ending of life. Legalized assisted suicide is an evil that must be stopped. Governments pass immoral laws all the time and legality doesn't translate into morality.

By the way, I don't have to be religious to have morals. I don't remember who made this point but someone once asked an atheist "if you don't believe in god then you have no morals, what stops you from raping and murdering?" and their response was "I can proudly say that I have raped and murdered everyone I've ever wanted to and that number is zero".

Nope. Evil.

Okay, what about a pet dog? Say you have a dog, and it's sick and will be in extreme misery for the next week, would you allow the vet to put him down?

We can continue to live life or we can end it but since the government has a duty to protect life, they have no right to aid in the ending of life.

I am curious how far that extends. I presume then that you are against executions since that is legalized murder. I guess war is out as well. Presumably you think police officers shouldn't be armed either.

I am curious how far that extends. I presume then that you are against executions since that is legalized murder. I guess war is out as well. Presumably you think police officers shouldn't be armed either.

Honestly, I'm against executions, war, and armed police.

Killing to end misery is the only kind of killing of humans that I can support.

Reactions: 2 users
By the way, I don't have to be religious to have morals.
Plenty of atheists have morals. Their morals just tend to be more pragmatic than those based on religious doctrine. So I'd wager that you are no atheist.

Plenty of atheists have morals. Their morals just tend to be more pragmatic than those based on religious doctrine. So I'd wager that you are no atheist.

Or he's a misotheist/dystheist. Plenty of the moral people I know have that implicit belief in religion for objectively valid reasons.

One of the cruelest things I have witnessed is a family member expiring after being starved. Euthanasia would have been far more humane, but I guess that would have been either "evil" or "unjust."

Death is not a simple flipping of a switch for most people. It can be a laborious, long drawn-out process. I would hope to never have to suffer through some of the decades of pain some cancer patients face... I would also hope to be able to help alleviate that pain in any way possible (at the patient's request).

The State isn't causing death in any of the scenarios discussed in the thread. The State is allowing doctors to provide the care they feel their patients need.

Reactions: 2 users

Self defense is not murder.

I'm apathetic. I couldn't care less about religion.