Debating gap year and chances...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zabobinator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would like to preface this by apologizing for how long this is...I'm a junior right now and I'm in that phase where I feel like I will never get into medical school. Just wanted to see where you guys think I stand and whether or not I should take a gap year...

I've currently got a 3.8 cGPA and 3.7 sGPA and I doubt that these will go up much more. Majoring in microbiology, with minors in Arabic, Women's Studies and Chemistry. I've signed up to take the MCAT in March. LOR wise, I just need letters from science professors.

I have lots of ECs, but nothing I feel stands out.

CLINICAL EXPERIENCE:
Volunteered in the ER department - 100+ hours
Volunteering in the Pediatric Oncology Unit as a buddy for the patients - 60+ hours
Volunteering in a free clinic for the underserved/uninsured - 10 hours
Medical Mission Trip to Honduras
Been shadowing an Peds ER physician off and on for over a year now - 50+ hours

NONCLINICAL EXPERIENCE:
I've been a director in my pre-med organization for two years now. I focus on women's health issues.
I'm a site leader for a service trip next semester, so currently working on planning that stuff out.
I TAed for a biology lab.
Been involved with the same research lab for two years. Got a scholarship for research. Publications probably won't happen for a while because my PI is new so he's still getting on his feet and applying for grants.
Scattered community service here and there through center for service here at my school.

Schools I'm considering so far...

Mayo
University of Chicago
Northwestern
Indiana University
University of Florida
Brown
Case Western
Loyola
Rush
Emory
University of St. Louis
Washu St. Louis

Trying to stay up north for the most part to be near my family, with the exception of some schools I just really like.

Just don't know if I'm ready to apply. Obviously need to dominate the MCAT, but should I improve ECs? Gap year? I'd have my senior year grades and hopefully be a lot more prepared. Then again, not sure what I'd do in that year. Most likely research.

Thanks for advice. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Without an MCAT score it is impossible to evaluate your list. When you have your score, buy the MSAR and find the schools you are eligible for and then determine the ones you would like to attend. With regard to your other activities, they are normal for your stage in the application process. You could use some non-medical volunteerism. One foreign "medical mission" is more than enough...

Yah, the site leader thing is a habitat for humanity type deal. No more traveling abroad...
Thanks for giving advice without my MCAT score being there!

Members don't see this ad :)
...I'm a junior right now and I'm in that phase where I feel like I will never get into medical school...

:)

You've had this account since May 2012? You must have gotten at least some sense of what GPA goes into getting into medical school, at least from just this site since then. And you're actually feeling that you'll never get into school.

Listen man, seriously - things are looking good for you. Please don't beat yourself up like so many other premeds out there. Just study hard for the MCAT, if you know this is what you want to do. Your clinical hours are decent at best, so that might be the only thing you really need to improve on. Why not just find a clinical activity between now and the time you apply to reconcile that?

Wasn't necessarily concerned about GPA specifically, mostly my whole application in general. I'll look for more clinical activities! Thanks. :) I'll stop being irrational haha...

Ahlan,

I think if you keep up with your volunteering and pick up some non medical volunteering, like Gyngyn said, you should look good. Also I think your application and you in general can benefit from shadowing a couple of other types of physicians (surg, primary care, internal medicine sub specialty). And mass respect for you getting that Arabic minor. I'm finishing up my third and final semester (allah hu akbar) of arabic to fulfill my language GEC... It's a struggle right now. I wish i just took Spanish.

One more thing, I know lots of people in my school's arabic program travel abroad for a summer or semester. Don't forget to add that to your application if you did that.