Debating hard about doing Physical Therapy vs Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geo16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, this is an unusual post.
After hearing about how the future of Pharmacy is going down the hill, I've decided to do Physical Therapy here in South Korea.
My plan is to be commissioned (without the intention of renouncing my U.S. citizenship) as a Physical Therapist officer in Republic of Korea Army(ROKA).
Is this better than doing Pharmacy in the U.S.?
My plan also includes possibly going back to the U.S. once I have a family in order to raise my kids in the states. Also, getting a DPT or possibly doing a post-bacc/SMP and go into DO/MD.
This is a serious question.
Thank you guys very much.

Members don't see this ad.

You can't go wrong if you pick literally anything besides pharmacy.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is nothing to debate. Do you want a job? If so, don't do pharmacy.

Reactions: 3 users
Very smart! Saved 1 person who actually listens! 14,999 more to go

Reactions: 3 users
Very smart! Saved 1 person who actually listens! 14,999 more to go
Thanks but is doing PT that really smart choice?
Great choice @Geo16 ! I always see openings for PTs.
Thanks I want to convince my mom that PT is a great career.
Chiropractor or physical therapists do really well in South Korea I heard.
There isn't a chiropractor but we do have PTs. They don't do well unless you go to the Big 5 hospital (Severance, Seoul NU, Samsung, Hyundai(Asan) etc.)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks but is doing PT that really smart choice?

Thanks I want to convince my mom that PT is a great career.

There isn't a chiropractor but we do have PTs. They don't do well unless you go to the Big 5 hospital (Severance, Seoul NU, Samsung, Hyundai(Asan) etc.)

DPT, DPM, MD/DO, AuD

Hello guys, this is an unusual post.
After hearing about how the future of Pharmacy is going down the hill, I've decided to do Physical Therapy here in South Korea.
My plan is to be commissioned (without the intention of renouncing my U.S. citizenship) as a Physical Therapist officer in Republic of Korea Army(ROKA).
Is this better than doing Pharmacy in the U.S.?
My plan also includes possibly going back to the U.S. once I have a family in order to raise my kids in the states. Also, getting a DPT or possibly doing a post-bacc/SMP and go into DO/MD.
This is a serious question.
Thank you guys very much.
I would go with the later route DPT to MD. Do anything besides pharmacy. Stay away from the terrible cesspool job market of pharmacy. You will be unemployed and if you choose to go back to Korea, your pharmacy loans will follow you

This is a USA forum.
Pharmacy schools have been recruiting more and more naive international students to join the ranks because they're desperate.

That's why you're seeing more and more international students on SDN, Reddit and the Youtube comments sections for pharmacy videos - besides pharmacy school deans, this is also becoming a big group that is diluting the message of pharmacist job saturation because they vehemently deny poor working conditions, dropping pay, etc. due to "their experience in their home country."

If it's a bachelor degree in SK, make sure you can transfer your license over to the US and still be able to practice as a PT because it's a doctorate degree here. You don't want to have to re-do school all over again.