Debating if Im considered URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CH3OH

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently in the process of applying and don't know if I should categorize myself as urm in amcas. I want to do things correctly so I came here for advice. I'm PuertoRican and low SES. Although I am aware that PuertoRicans who live on the states are considered urm I'm still living in Puerto Rico not in Mainland USA. I saw some post from a while ago about some AAMC Policies that specifically said Mainland Puertoricans were urm but since that was from long ago I wanted to see what is the new consensus about people who still live in the island. Appreciate any information in order for me to be able to answer that question in amcas. @Goro @LizzyM would love your insight. Thanks for all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't categorize yourself as "URM" on AMCAS, you just put your demographic information and let the schools decide. You can faithfully check Hispanic, Latino, or of Spanish origin --> Puerto Rican. Nothing really changes with how you fill out the application whether or not you or the medical schools designate you as URM or not.
Thanks for your answer, I was definitely planning to check that I'm Hispanic. My concern comes from the following AMCAS question (Do you wish to be considered a disadvantaged applicant by any of your designated medical schools that may consider such factors?). Don't want schools to think I'm playing the system if Im answer yes. Maybe Im overthinking this, just wanted to be as truthful as possible.

Thanks for your answer, I was definitely planning to check that I'm Hispanic. My concern comes from the following AMCAS question (Do you wish to be considered a disadvantaged applicant by any of your designated medical schools that may consider such factors?). Don't want schools to think I'm playing the system if Im answer yes. Maybe Im overthinking this, just wanted to be as truthful as possible.
The answer to that question is intentionally intended to be based on your self perception. If you feel you were disadvantaged by your low SES, then check that box.

Reactions: 2 users
The disadvantage box is more for socioeconomic status than race/ethnicity. You'll be identifying yourself as Hispanic-->Puerto Rican and then choosing to check the disadvantaged box, or not, depending on whether you felt that you reached age 18 behind your peers (other 18 year olds) in terms of being academically and culturally prepared for college. In particular, if you did not have opportunities most 0-18 kids have to learn things inside and outside the classroom due to poverty, poor school system, etc, then you check the box and go from there with a brief paragraph about your upbringing and how it disadvantaged you.

Reactions: 2 users