Debating on NYU......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got accepted into Stony Brook Dental School and Pittsburgh. This week I have an interview scheduled at NYU. I was wondering is there any reason to go there now? The cost of the school is of concern to me and I hear it takes far too many students. I am happy with Stony Brook, but I always wanted to live in NYC. Is it worth it to go there for the interview?? And how long after the interview will they inform me of the decision??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You r not good enough for nyu haha

i think it's worth it. yeah, the school is expensive, but you're obviously a strong candidate if you got into stony. who knows, NYU may throw you a scholarship and make your decision a little tougher ;)

don't listen to all the NYU haters on here.

jb!:)

i think it's worth it. yeah, the school is expensive, but you're obviously a strong candidate if you got into stony. who knows, NYU may throw you a scholarship and make your decision a little tougher ;)

don't listen to all the NYU haters on here.

jb!:)

That's true. If they give you a nice scholarship I'd consider it. The new dean was very impressive and personable and I think he is going to lead NYU in a great direction.

I recently got accepted into Stony Brook Dental School and Pittsburgh. This week I have an interview scheduled at NYU. I was wondering is there any reason to go there now? The cost of the school is of concern to me and I hear it takes far too many students. I am happy with Stony Brook, but I always wanted to live in NYC. Is it worth it to go there for the interview?? And how long after the interview will they inform me of the decision??

if either stony brook or pittsburgh is your first choice, i would imagine that there is little reason to continue interviewing. plus, people waiting to hear about interviews, schedule them and/or move them up would appreciate the cancellation. (incl me :)) also, while nyc is a fun place to live as a 20-something, it's also expensive and cost seems to be of a concern for you. you could still potentially live in NYC after dental school when you get your GPR or join a practice. although stony brook is about 2 hours outside the city, you're close enough that if you have friends who live there, you can still experience it on some weekends.

stony is more like an hour away from the city, def not 2 hours, unless I drive fast or you drive slow

stony is more like an hour away from the city, def not 2 hours, unless I drive fast or you drive slow

whoops. 2 hours was my estimate for public transportation, as i don't have a car. that's actually good to know it's so quick by car.

No way can you get to the city in a hour from stony unless you are leaving when there is absolutely no one on the road!

No way can you get to the city in a hour from stony unless you are leaving when there is absolutely no one on the road!

Agreed. Need at least an hour and a half, and that's just to get downtown.

If the only reason you would consider NYU is b/c you want to live in the city I would go to stony, save your money and do a residency program in the city.

Why don't you go and see how's nyu doing?
You interview them !! :laugh::laugh:

I've always wanted to live in NYC too, but I'd rather do it when I'm working instead of as a broke and stressed d-student. Go to the interview cause it's a pretty fun one (as far as interviews go) but I think you'd be a fool to rack up an extra $100k or more in debt just to live in NYC. The city isn't going anyhwere.

simply living in nyc doesnt make things a lot more 'fun', per say. you have to be a social extrovert to enjoy hip and happening cities. if you are, then it makes sense for you to choose nyu; you'll feel extremely comfortable.
i live in downtown toronto, considered to be a pretty slick location by many. i don't find it all that appealing because i'm just not a very social person. for me, location of a school doesn't matter much; i can fit in anywhere.

theres a huge difference between the tuition of NYU and Stony Brook and thats a major concern to me. Just go to the interview and compare the 2 schools.
Good luck to you

to quote from above,,, I live in a northern suburb on NYC, I got to my stony interview even during slight traffic like an hour and half.... I do drive a fast car though =)

If you live around NYC, I'd say just go for the free lunch. It's worth it.

Jokings aside, in the recent years NYU's reputation is just getting better and better. I think you should go check it out for yourself.

I think you'd either love or hate NYU if you interviewed. It is probably about as polar opposite from Stony as you can get. I never visited Stony, but I heard it's in a small town and has 30+ students per class. NYU is in the lower east side of manhattan with 300+ students by your second year -- a good number of them experienced dentists (foreign trained). Check out the school and see if you think it would be worth the extra money.

That is one hell of a lot of extra debt to take on just to be able to live in the city...do a residency there when you are done, take a train every other weekend...Stony is a good school and you will get a great education, make use of that opportunity